take the dog for a walk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markg0vbr

Über Member
ladybower.jpg

any body ells take there dog for a trot with the trike?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Having neither dog nor trike, my capacity to get involved is somewhat compromised. the cat won't run beside the 'bent, and the neighnours too twitchy to permit a leash for the kids.
I believe Auntie Helen has some experience of at least two of the above, but I'm not saying which. :smile:

OP
OP
markg0vbr

markg0vbr

Über Member
Seems like a good idea and the dog can act as a drag brake on fast downhills. :biggrin::whistle::whistle:

that is what the skate board was invented for ;)
when every body is away and i am dog sighting, well caring for as sitting on them might be a bit cruel they tend to squish, i take both of them for a run with the trike the seem to love it and are well behaved.
i see a man on a mountain bike with two huskies pulling along they seem to have a bunge rope.

Night Train

Maker of Things
that is what the skate board was invented for ;)

When I was a kid we used to take the dog 'for a run' with a skate board or roller skates.
I think it is frowned upon now.

I've also had a rottie at the park on the kids roundabout. One of us holds the lead and the other waves a stick further around the roundabout and the rottie chases the stick. Cue two very dizzy people and one well excercised dog.:biggrin:

my husband has a trike and we take our dogs for a walk. the old dog sits on his lap too. we have just purchased a doggie trailer to put them in when they get tired or if we have to join a road for a short while. we like to go out for the day on our bikes and take a picnic etc so leaving them home all day is not an option. we do get some funny looks though!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Yes, I take my Lab out with me. I've got an dog walking attachment thingy with a coil springy suspension thing that absorbs any unhelpful jerks or squirrel-chasing tugs from her (tried and tested). She runs either by my back wheel or slightly behind and is yet to show any inclination to help me on the hills, though she does sometimes pick up her pace if I'm lagging on a climb, just to be smug.

Once she got over the shock of me being faster than her for the first time since she was a pup, she fell in love with the idea of the bike and gets ridiculously excited when she sees me getting my bike gear together.

I get loads of funny looks as well, but they're getting used to us in the village now
smile.gif

I looked at all those attachment things but decided I didn't like any of them. A jogging lead looped around the seatpost works just as well without having to attach huge lumps of metal to the bike or having some metal stalk sticking out which might impale the dog in an accident. Direct and sudden pulls aren't really felt, though if he pulls forward I need to take the strain with my left leg and use the brakes. He has towed me happily up a hill at 9 or 10mph. I also use a chest harness so there's no pull on his neck. I think he was a husky in a former life.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I wobble far too much as it is, without a brainless Labrador helping :laugh:

It's funny, though, she won't have any of it if she's in her harness - when I dug her out, for the same reasons you mentioned above, we got a few hundred yards up the road and then she went on strike, sat on the verge and wouldn't shift until I'd put the lead back on her collar. Gah :smile:

OP
OP
markg0vbr

markg0vbr

Über Member
i find just popping the loop of the lead on my left wrist is all i need to do, i am eye level with the big dog. i have thought about the harness but decided to just get them in to the habit of running at heal, they love a long trot i just let them dictate the pace.

somersetflyer

I have a dog trailer that I pull behind the trike, the dog hates it, I suppose as a one year old border collie he would rather be running alongside, Somerset is rather hilly so even in a low gear it can be hard work pulling a 22kg dog and trailer up the hill

itchyrider

Aka Chris
I used to hold the dogs coller crouching down on my skateboard while holding a stick in front of him with the other hand, It was a collie cross alsation. Speeds were fast!! Lol

Top Bottom