Taken Off bike by a car - What steps should i take for bike replacement/repair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
Nothing wrong with thanking somebody who cared enough to be a witness. I'm sure they'd welcome the update on the post-collision events too.

OP
OP
C

cutler26

Keep a copy of everything. Hard copy and electronic if possible (save photos onto a PC or USB). And a record of any phone calls

I'm surprised you've done the form already, mine took hours! Maybe it's just the preliminary
I thought I had done the form... well it turns out its 16 pages long, good job i proof read.

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't expect a fast response. It's taken 15 weeks to resolve my claim. Got a phone call today saying they accept liability, and to send proof of purchase for my new bike, and they will send me a cheque :smile: Also gonna try and claim for the new pedals I had to buy (standards ones were too slippery) a helmet, and Bus fares for the month I was without a bike, if I can find my tickets.
Do you have witnesses? I think mine was swung by having a good witness. A lovely couple stopped and helped me at the scene, and the lady gave me her details as a witness. Would I be doing anything wrong if I messaged her to thank her?
Just keep an eye on what you say. I got questioned over why I left my number with the vehicles registered owner.

Confine it to the fact that you got home ok. Make no mention of injuries received.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Don't expect a fast response. It's taken 15 weeks to resolve my claim. Got a phone call today saying they accept liability, and to send proof of purchase for my new bike, and they will send me a cheque :smile: Also gonna try and claim for the new pedals I had to buy (standards ones were too slippery) a helmet, and Bus fares for the month I was without a bike, if I can find my tickets.
Do you have witnesses? I think mine was swung by having a good witness. A lovely couple stopped and helped me at the scene, and the lady gave me her details as a witness. Would I be doing anything wrong if I messaged her to thank her?

15 weeks? You were lucky, mine was over a year and @fossyant even longer.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You should push for an interim to cover damaged belongings. Mine was getting on for 3.5 years to settle. Main issue was my shoulder didn't settle down till 18 months after shoulder surgery which took two years to get.

machew

Veteran
What really helps your claim get processed quickly, is if you have a PC as witness and the driver of the other get pleading guilty to causing an accident by dangerous driving.
Had a nasty case of concussion and wished I was wearing a helmet, But a new car out of it was the only up side

OP
OP
C

cutler26

Ah maybe then :smile: Did you get it checked for spelling errors etc?
Got F7 for that

Gains84

Sorry to hear of your crash cutler, I'm reading with interest as I was taken out on Friday by a smidsy and just started the claim process myself.

From other's experiences is it deemed "fair" to try and get components replaced if they are only cosmetically damaged? Iv got things like QR skewers/pedal that are scratched/scraped up which still work but aren't nice to see as a constant reminder of what happened.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Sorry to hear of your crash cutler, I'm reading with interest as I was taken out on Friday by a smidsy and just started the claim process myself.

From other's experiences is it deemed "fair" to try and get components replaced if they are only cosmetically damaged? Iv got things like QR skewers/pedal that are scratched/scraped up which still work but aren't nice to see as a constant reminder of what happened.

In my experience, err on the side of caution. Cosmetic stuff is going to be subjective, whereas if it's broken it's a lot easier to explan why the old one was replaced. Pedals are likely to get scratched through normal wear and tear. On the other hand, (assuming the rest of the bike is OK from an incident), is a road bike likely to suffer a deep scratch down the length of it's downtube?

When I was knocked off my bike, 21/2 years after the incident, the driver's insurance company questioned why I had bought a new helmet. Fortunately I had kept the broken one.

As others have said, keep records of everything connected with the incident and its aftermath. Photos, receipts, detail of journeys, phone calls. It is so easy a couple of years, or even a few months later to forget what costs were incurred. You/your solicitor can always remove items from your list. Adding them in at a later date is much more difficult.

classic33

Leg End Member
When I was knocked off my bike, 21/2 years after the incident, the driver's insurance company questioned why I had bought a new helmet. Fortunately I had kept the broken one.
Short and simple answer there is you are following the manufacturer's instructions.

vickster

Legendary Member
I had to send photos of the damage to mine. Not that I've been reimbursed yet for the cost of the new one. I was advised by police and paramedics to replace mine even though lightly damaged

I did foolishly throw away the tights the hospital cut off me so just had to provide a link to a comparable pair (no direct replacement available, a real shame as they were my faves)

Last edited:
Top Bottom