Taken Off bike by a car - What steps should i take for bike replacement/repair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Let us know if you need any support :smile:

I'd try to set up a face-face meeting, go with your mum. Good to have someone else who can be involved in the conversation, ask questions etc. Same goes for when you have medical appointments

OP
OP
C

cutler26

Let us know if you need any support :smile:

I'd try to set up a face-face meeting, go with your mum. Good to have someone else who can be involved in the conversation, ask questions etc. Same goes for when you have medical appointments
I've spoken to Cycle Claims which you gave me a link for, and it looks like its a go. The women i spoke to said thank you for recommending them to me.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've spoken to Cycle Claims which you gave me a link for, and it looks like its a go. The women i spoke to said thank you for recommending them to me.
No worries - I have no experience of their service, just saw their ad in a magazine!

vickster

Legendary Member
You don't need to do anything except make sure you have all your notes and photos (your sore bits, the bike) prepared, the police number, the police officers details, the driver's details etc, any receipts for expenses you've accrued where you would have used a bike (bus tickets, taxi receipts), the doctor's name and address, time/date of appointment etc

I also printed off a map of where my accident happened and a google streetview image as I wasn't able to go back to the scene easily. But you could take a photo and print it off in colour

They'll send you a very long form to complete. You'll need to do only in a factual way, clearly and with the necessary details to explain what happened from your side

I don't know if you need anything from your college if you've missed classes or work etc, but that can come later if needed

Have you read @classic33 's excellent guide?

OP
OP
C

cutler26

You don't need to do anything except make sure you have all your notes and photos (your sore bits, the bike) prepared, the police number, the police officers details, the driver's details etc, any receipts for expenses you've accrued where you would have used a bike (bus tickets, taxi receipts), the doctor's name and address, time/date of appointment etc

I also printed off a map of where my accident happened and a google streetview image as I wasn't able to go back to the scene easily. But you could take a photo and print it off in colour

They'll send you a very long form to complete. You'll need to do only in a factual way, clearly and with the necessary details to explain what happened from your side

I don't know if you need anything from your college if you've missed classes or work etc, but that can come later if needed

I have most things ready and I have read Classics guide. The woman I spoke to should be contacting the drivers insurance soon.

classic33

Leg End Member

Thanks for that last part. Not all my own work though.
I thought having the majority of the information in one place would make it easier for people, should they ever need it.

Hindsight is wonderful.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks for the reference, they where straight to the point and explain things fully. Is there anything that i can be doing now or is this the time to sit back?
Have a look at Statement Template in Commuting and fit what happened to you into that.

Rediscovered any parts of yourself you'd forgot about?

classic33

Leg End Member
I have received and complete a report from the solicitors and I'm about to send back to the woman who is dealing with my claim
Keep a copy of it for your records.
Even if this is photos on a mobile phone. So long as you can read it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Keep a copy of everything. Hard copy and electronic if possible (save photos onto a PC or USB). And a record of any phone calls

I'm surprised you've done the form already, mine took hours! Maybe it's just the preliminary

sheffgirl

Don't expect a fast response. It's taken 15 weeks to resolve my claim. Got a phone call today saying they accept liability, and to send proof of purchase for my new bike, and they will send me a cheque :smile: Also gonna try and claim for the new pedals I had to buy (standards ones were too slippery) a helmet, and Bus fares for the month I was without a bike, if I can find my tickets.
Do you have witnesses? I think mine was swung by having a good witness. A lovely couple stopped and helped me at the scene, and the lady gave me her details as a witness. Would I be doing anything wrong if I messaged her to thank her?

Top Bottom