Taken out by another cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 1827585, member: 9609"]You can't have it both ways, when it comes to custody the woman is presumed to be the primary carer, so therefore can we not assume that if the child has not been brought up correctly then we can also point the finger at the woman. Seems only fair to me.

As for the OT stuff, it was you that went off topic on this badly done to woman's tangent. And as you know, throughout this thread I have very much been on the side of the mother who has received some very uncalled for comments.[/quote]

I acknowledge your last point, and indeed your contributions helped salvage what was becoming a rather nasty thread.

I didn't say women are presumed to be the primary carers, I said they usually were the primary carers. The courts are not acting on a presumption; they are recognising a fact. Any for all the flack they get, I'd say that they have an understanding of motherhood that is both less sentimental and less judgemental than the population at large, the media and the political classes. And I'm not trying to have anything both ways- the argument is perfectly coherent. It's reasonable to expect the two people who produce a child to share the responsibility for that child's care and well-being. So why assume that when a child is behaving in a particular way, that it is a result of what the mother is or isn't doing, rather than because of what the father is or isn't doing? My thumbs are too tired for more italics, or I'd emphasize the final "or isn't".

Anyway, we can still agree that we're OT, because there is no particular parenting issue arising from the video. :smile:

Recycler

[QUOTE 1827591, member: 9609"]I think you can judge a family by the dog. Happy dog = good family; Unhappy dog = Bad family
And Buster looked a happy wee soul![/quote]

OMG.
The mother was doing everything to avoid her obligations, but that's OK because of a very brief shot of a dog.
I would prefer to look at the evidence

I acknowledge your last point, and indeed your contributions helped salvage what was becoming a rather nasty thread.

I didn't say women are presumed to be the primary carers, I said they usually were the primary carers. The courts are not acting on a presumption; they are recognising a fact. Any for all the flack they get, I'd say that they have an understanding of motherhood that is both less sentimental and less judgemental than the population at large, the media and the political classes. And I'm not trying to have anything both ways- the argument is perfectly coherent. It's reasonable to expect the two people who produce a child to share the responsibility for that child's care and well-being. So why assume that when a child is behaving in a particular way, that it is a result of what the mother is or isn't doing, rather than because of what the father is or isn't doing? My thumbs are too tired for more italics, or I'd emphasize the final "or isn't".

Anyway, we can still agree that we're OT, because there is no particular parenting issue arising from the video. :smile:

This is a nice post. Some of the comments about the mother in the video were quite unpleasant and needed to be stemmed.

I think there was a degree of misogyny creeping in there, but I believe the main reason the mother took the (pointless) flak was that she was present.

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure anyone was pointing the finger of blame at mothers (or women) in general. I certainly hope they weren't.

As to women (generally) being the primary carers, this fits almost every childhood of which I have some knowledge. To be more specific, it is not women who tend to be the primary carers, but mothers. I make the distinction because I know many women who do not have (or profess to have) the "understanding of motherhood that is both less sentimental and less judgemental than the population at large" to which you refer. That attitude tends (although not exclusively) to be the domain of the mother.

There were women around the house occasionally after my mother's early and unfortunate death and that was fine. But they were not mothers. To a child, there is a big difference. During my childhood I 'adopted' a few spare mothers from close friends. I am close to this day to all who are still alive, even where I have lost touch with the childhood friend.

A bell for pedestrians, and the AirZound for cars?

Just seen this, nasty and could have been a lot worse for both of you. I agree totally with you HovR, but being as we are in England, 99.9% of the time all you'd get is a mouthful of abuse for daring to let anyone know there was a bicycle approaching at speed.

Top Bottom