Taken out by another cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Riding home tonight, I was doing about 25mph, when an 11 year old kid does this!

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBzNTQ08MNg

Anyway, after picking up the pieces, and checking that both me and the kid are physically o.k. I carry his bike home, which was about 1/2 mile away (whilst pushing mine.) On the way I checked my bike and apart from a slight scratch, no visible damage. Amazingly, my front wheel/forks showed no sign of damage, I think his rear spokes absorbed most of the shock, plus I just managed to grab the brakes just before the collision, so I probably hit him at about 20mph.

The truly shocking thing (far more of a shock than the actual accident to me) was his Mums attitude. I've cut the vid down, but essentially I'd told her that my bike appeared undamaged, but could I have some contact details, just in case. Listen to the audio and let me know what you think. I personally would take complete responsibility for my Sons actions. Apparently though, this 'Mum' has the attitude that kids will have accidents, and to hell with anyone who's injured/suffers financially as a result of this.

sabian92

Über Member
I think to be honest you did pretty well not to murder that bloody woman. The fact she didn't seem to think she was responsible is shocking.

What a moronic attitude to take. Hope you and your bike is OK.

baldycyclist

Über Member
I have looked at the first bit where you hit him
If you were a car would he have stopped?
The problem is the way the brain works
If you were a car his brain would have pulled his brakes (possibly but he was looking like he was going to cross any way!!!!)
But because you were something his brain did not recognise then his brain did not pull the brakes

I might show the footage to mum and she what she thinks

She is thick and needs to understand a little more

Kid looks pretty shaken up - and has had his wake up call

Hope you are all ok and the bike is still cool - I think you handled the immediate situation extremely well

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH, I would have gone ape about the kids cycling, and said about the cars behind. Then when she realised her son was very nearly mush..

You know where they live, if there is damage, then get your legal bods to sort it (CTC BC)

You can't argue with a mom and dad over their kid in a situation, don't work. Sort it later.

Thank goodness the kid didn't get splattered by a car.

Brahan

Über Member
That nice pristine white car door would look great with a size 10 boot mark on it. Just to punctuate proceedings.

Maybe stick one in her face too. :cursing:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I'm guessing there'll be some on here that'd say you were approaching a crossing it was up to you to anticipate that a kid on a bike might just ride out?
Playing devils advocate BTW:rolleyes:

fossyant

I know from even telling a kid to stop bullying my son, or the head will be told. Some weeks later said mom comes raging into the cub unit I helped out with. We ended up in a disagreement - me being calm, she lost it, and I thought, fek it - I packed in working with kids.

This mum never dropped the kid at cubs/ or even did dad, it was 'friends' that did it. But in the fragile situation any volunteer is in, I packed it in. I wasn't busting my ass to research things for kids to do that was great and get abused as a volunteer. Sad as it is.

No-one will take responsibility.

fossyant

That nice pristine white car door would look great with a size 10 boot mark on it. Just to punctuate proceedings.

Maybe stick one in her face too. :cursing:

It's a new Nissan Juke, they aren't cheap. Taste, well its a FUGLY car - my 11 year old son shouts out every time he sees one of these things.."my eyes" !!!!

Reactions: gaz
I thought this was a thread about a romantic rendezvous.

Frankly, I feel slightly let down that it's just a crash.

Glad you're OK though.

I thought you were very restrained and diplomatic - with the kid and the mother.

HovR

Über Member
Blimey, that's pretty insane. He just crossed the road without as much as taking a glance to see if anything was coming. He was lucky he didn't take a pedal/chainring to the face!

Am I right in thinking the pedals/frame hit the top of the boys wheel before your wheel did? Pretty amazing that there was no real damage to your bike. Not sure you had to worry about him riding off though - That pringle he has in the rear dropouts was never going to roll through the rear triangle! :whistle:

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I'm guessing there'll be some on here that'd say you were approaching a crossing it was up to you to anticipate that a kid on a bike might just ride out?
Playing devils advocate BTW:rolleyes:

D'y know, I've anticipated several numpty peds/cars/cyclists and took avoiding action, but this kid didn't register as he was cycling too fast to NOT go straight on and he actually does a last second swerve on to the road. I asked him if he'd changed his mind at the last second and he admitted it.

I doubt many would have anticipated this one......but maybe I should start giving any peds/bicycles on the pavement a quick blast of Airzound? Mind you that would provoke quite a few folk.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I think you showed remarkable restraint, and I admire you greatly for that. Personally as a parent I would appreciate the effort you obviously made to ensure my child was safe and taken home, I would pay for any damage on princple. I pity the child with a role model like that. Dreadfull parent is supposed to set an example on doing the right thing.

HovR

Über Member
but maybe I should start giving any peds/bicycles on the pavement a quick blast of Airzound? Mind you that would provoke quite a few folk.

A bell for pedestrians, and the AirZound for cars? There are multiple blind bends on a cycle path on my commute, and the cycle commuters who take that route ring their bell a few times whilst approaching to inform peds and other cyclists that they are coming.

Top Bottom