Taken out by another cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Blimey, that's pretty insane. He just crossed the road without as much as taking a glance to see if anything was coming. He was lucky he didn't take a pedal/chainring to the face!

Am I right in thinking the pedals/frame hit the top of the boys wheel before your wheel did? Pretty amazing that there was no real damage to your bike. Not sure you had to worry about him riding off though - That pringle he has in the rear dropouts was never going to roll through the rear triangle! :whistle:

It all happened so fast, but looking at his bent derailler and wheel, I think I hit the derailler first, then his spokes absorbed the impact, and he just went up and over my front wheel. The chainring is the most 'forward' part on the bike, so there was no contact with the frame. Yes he was fortunate that he didn't get a leg full of chainring.......a collision with a recumbent could easily open ones leg right open!

Apart from a cut on my knee, some light scratches on the rear quick release/gear change mech, a bent bottle holder, bent neck rest.....oh and my left shoe lace is worn, not a bad outcome for me and my machine. All the bent stuff bent back, gears/brakes working fine, front wheel not buckled, and the carbon forks are thankfully scratch/crack free.....oh and I lost an aaa battery.

stowie

Legendary Member
I think that the Mum's attitude wasn't great at all, and I felt very sorry for the kid, who obviously was really shaken up. But, I think that people are naturally very wary when discussing money with a stranger, especially when that stranger is believing (however correctly) that they are at fault and liable. I am sure you are a reasonable person, who wouldn't try to use the incident to gain extra money, but there are people that would. If I was the mum, I would exchange details, but admit absolutely no liability as per a car accident.

This is the reason I have insurance for my cycle. I think her attitude may have been different if you gave her your insurance details (if you have insurance) and say that you will claim off the insurers for any repairs. It is then up to your insurance to pursue reimbursement or not.

I feel sorry for the kid, but he didn't seem to look at all. He was lucky it wasn't a car. If I was you I would just chalk it up to the rich tapestry of life - after all if you present a bill and they don't pay, then what next? Small claims court? It is sh!t, but many people have a real talent for not taking responsibility.

PS : That car does look like a Nissan Juke which is truly the most ugly car ever created. I wonder if they are bought as some kind of bet.

The change I would make to this exchange is not to have a discussion about compensation with her. At that time just introduce your self ask her name first then ask for a contact number after getting her name. If you have her name and address with the use of the internet you could find the rest of her details. But a horrible reaction by a shocked mother

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Glad you're both okay. :smile:

I've watched the impact a few times, amazing how quickly it goes from bike on the path to bike in your path. Also amazing that he didnt look, with car noise right behind you and oncoming too.

I figure the mum was just caught off-guard with the situation and took a defensive stance to the compensation discussion. Presumably there was some conversation had before the video arrives at her house talking about moneys.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
BP, glad you and the bike are OK(ish)
Sometimes the best thing to do is chalk it up and move on. I'm trying to take that advice myself after tonight. Seeing as we're sort of local to each other you may know the road I'm on about J1 of the M18 into Hellaby? This evenings return commute. Approaching the industrial estate RAB, its a 2 lane dual carriageway. 3 vehicles stood traffic, in the left hand lane, which I'm approaching fast. I'm going straight on. Seeing as I'll be in standing traffic at the approach to a RAB, I'm in primary.
I'm suddenly aware of a red van on my RH, trying to overtake, close, with not enough room to complete the manouvre. Rather than move right into the clear lane, he just drifts left.....
I get in front and regain my position
Traffic moves.
I enter the RAB in primary. Ride the LH lane in primary.
Half way to the second exit i do a lifesaver and find RVM is trying to overtake, close, on the RAB I'm instantly thinking 'punishment pass'. as we exit the RAB he then decides to use his vehicle as a weapon as throws it left, closing the gap right down, before flooring it and heading off at speed into the distance. With his hazard lights flashing, I assume as a 'cheer'?
I got his Reg. I've been thinking 'let it go', there's no evidence, your word against his..... But I could report it? Say I know the situation, but although I know theres no evidence I believe it ought to be reported, in case it helps show a pattern with a known driver....
I didn't.
Thought I'd got it out of my head.
Not sure if it was the memory bugging me or because I made the mistake of having 2 cups of 'Rocket Fuel' espresso coffee, with guarana in the hour before bed.... but i couldn't sleep
So I've come down and figured I'd report it, but before that I'd just do a vehicle reg check.
Looks like my memorys not that good in the heat of the moment 'Not found'
Looks like I'll have to take my own advice and chalk it up...
End of the day, i can still get on a bike tomorrow

BSRU

A Human Being
The parents attitude stinks, she is responsible for her kid whether she likes it or not. She obviously does not comprehend what could have happened if you had been driving a car.

I have had a couple similar near misses with school children on bikes, they just ride across the road with no concern to check whether it is safe or not. These days if I see a similar situation I ease off and cover the brakes.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
What's with that carlitox idiot? Can't believe he wants to blame panther for the crash. I suppose he's like Lee - has perfect hindsight thanks to the camera. I don't think that one was avoidable, myself. The child was just too quick and too committed with his swerve to cross the road.

Must admit it's a good example of why crashing on recumbents is much better than doing same on an upright.

jugglingphil

I really feel for the kid (probably as I have sons about the same age).
I can not believe that none of the car drivers pulled up and got out to check kid (and OP) OK.
I thought OP was very restrained and did the right thing by ensuring the kid got home OK. In hindsight I'd suggest agreeing to differ earlier and resuming the conversation re liability at a later time if necessary, but it's a lot easier to think of the right reaction when watching on film.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
This and my own recent events have really got me considering a cam.....

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Awful attitude from Mum. The poor lad looks very shaken up - at least his sister noticed and went to give him a hug.

I think he learned a valuable lesson. I hope she thanked you for bringing him home at some point before the camera started rolling.

GrasB

Veteran
[QUOTE 1822134, member: 9609"]It does raise the question of - should cyclists carry third party insurance?[/quote]
Where does it end though? There are dog owners not keeping their dogs properly under control & I've had some expensive damage caused by a dog (lead), both on & off a bike. I also know people who have had pedestrians damage things which have been expensive to replace/fix through simply not giving 2 hoots about other people & their property. So do we have a 3rd party insurance for anyone who moves about outside their house?

In hindsight I'd suggest agreeing to differ earlier and resuming the conversation re liability at a later time if necessary, but it's a lot easier to think of the right reaction when watching on film.

+1

Wonder if asking for name, address and phone number so that you could report the incident to the police might have worked? [That's a thought that just occurred – have you reported the incident? Might be worth doing – better to be told that you don't need to, than to find out later that you should have. Highway Code is ... "vaguer" than the law.]

Just a thought. Avoids the rider "looking callous", and mother "looking defensive"? There's a "third party" then, making an independent judgement on how the kid's negligence contributed to the incident? Don't know.

Recycler

It strikes me as odd that this woman thinks that OP should have insurance, but she obviously doesn't have it for her son.

Personally, I would just post the video on You Tube. With any luck it would get picked up and she would be embarrassed by the whole affair.

hydridmatt

Über Member
I really feel for you - you did well to limit the impact, then made sure he was okay and made sure the lad got home. You are pretty much blameless in the whole affair. However...

However, on the video (and I accept that this may just be the edit) you turned up with a visibly upset child and then immediately started discussing your wheel – she may have seen that as callous, and made her less inclined to be reasonable. She should pay for it, but you might have wanted to approach the whole conversation in a more gentle way (“just wanted to make sure he got home okay and by the way…”), given that she was clearly slightly shell-shocked. Your immediate “my wheel costs a hundred quid” meant that she saw you, not as the guy who did his utmost to avoid hitting her son and had made sure he got home okay, but as a guy who hit her child and then demanded she pay for it. Your blood was probably up, and your stridency maybe made her wary.

I speak as someone who uses a camera, and had an incident with a driver. When I was watching the incident back with my wife, she was shocked at how aggressive I sounded when, in my head, I was being perfectly reasonable.

I do not feel sorry for the child; they say the apple does not fall far from the tree, and it is easy to see why and how this child is so stupidly careless. I feel sorry for you; you took a nasty tumble, and I am glad you and the bike are OK.

The mother's attitude stinks and one only hopes that her actions come back to haunt her one day soon.

Top Bottom