Taken out by another cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Recycler

Excellent! Another social problem to lay at the door of mothers! Just what we need, instead of making streets safer for children. Has anyone yet suggested that the road might be better with a 20mph limit? Or have we all been too busy slagging Mum off? But not Dad, of course...

So, the parents aren't expected to teach their kids a bit of basic roadsense?

The kid wasn't looking, wasn't making signals, had a record of smashing bikes, and FWIW wasn't wearing a helmet...

Yes, it looks like it's down to us.

Recycler

[QUOTE 1826444, member: 9609"]And what has a helmet got to do with the price of fish, he hurt his arm!.[/quote]

The parents let the kid out on the road without a helmet, knowing that he had smashed bikes up before.
Hardly responsible parenting.

The fact that he did not appear to hurt his head on this occasion is completely irrelevant.

Hip Priest

Veteran
When I was that lads age I used to go out on my bike all hours without a helmet. In fact, when I was a kid, my mum used to chuck me out the house all day so I wasn't under her feet.

These days I'd get taken to Spongey-plastic-fun-zone in a massive 4x4, where I'd be 'safe'.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Excellent! Another social problem to lay at the door of mothers! Just what we need, instead of making streets safer for children. Has anyone yet suggested that the road might be better with a 20mph limit? Or have we all been too busy slagging Mum off? But not Dad, of course...
Presumptive of you. Do we know dads about? All we've seen is mother and mention of a partner. So yeah, she's the only GUARDIAN we know about.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
When I was that lads age I used to go out on my bike all hours without a helmet. In fact, when I was a kid, my mum used to chuck me out the house all day so I wasn't under her feet.

These days I'd get taken to Spongey-plastic-fun-zone in a massive 4x4, where I'd be 'safe'.

Mine won't, just make sure they've got road sense before they go out. Go out with them to start with. Keep it up occasionally once they're 'competent'

We know the roads are busier than 'X' number of years ago. It's the first excuse plod gives for not enforcing pavement parking etc.

So as well as there being more cars on the road, more cars parked on the road, theres also an increasing number of cars that don't make any discernable engine noise. Make sure they know to be aware of their environment.

You can do commentary driving, get 'em doing a bit of commentary riding

Recycler

The helmet or lack of it is nothing to do with the issue. It doesn't make her a bad parent.

It certainly doesn't make her a good parent. It's one of those things that can only help the safety of her child.

For all we know she doesn't care a hoot about the kids safety. All we can see in the video is that she is concerned about paying to repair his bike and avoiding paying for the damage to the other bike. The OP can tell us what she said, but AFAIK there's no evidence that she even thanked him for bringing the kid and his bike home. Not a very good example to set for the kid.

stowie

Legendary Member

Of course, the 20 mph limit wouldn't have helped in this case. I also think that the mother is being slagged off because she is in the film, not Dad. If it had just been Dad, I expect that Dad would have been slagged off instead. But the tone of some of the comments about the mother is unnecessary.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
So, the parents aren't expected to teach their kids a bit of basic roadsense?

The kid wasn't looking, wasn't making signals, had a record of smashing bikes, and FWIW wasn't wearing a helmet...

Brilliant! This thread isn't anywhere near tendentious enough. Let's throw in an irrelevant helmet debate.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Presumptive of you. Do we know dads about? All we've seen is mother and mention of a partner. So yeah, she's the only GUARDIAN we know about.

It's neither here nor there. For me there's no bad parenting to address- I think it's a good thing for kids to be out on their own. But if there were a parenting issue, one might reasonably expect the other parent, absent or not, to share the responsibility for it. I'm merely struck by the fact that mothers take a disproportionate share of the blame for, well, just about everything, and I'm dismayed by the entirely unwarranted abuse directed at the mother in this thread.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
[QUOTE 1826593, member: 45"]If you'd ridden down there before then you'd know it was a crossing point. Two bollards on a pedestrian island indicate a crossing point but you're right, it's not easy to see from the clip. I'm not sure what's on the pole on the island.[/quote]
If memory serves its just a lamp

Recycler

[QUOTE 1826537, member: 9609"]I think you are being so unfair about this family, the young lad was polite, his sister seemed caring towards him, the mother was also relatively polite but stood her ground, (didn't hand over a blank cheque), and I'm sure she did thank BP for bringing the lad home, and then there was that lovely little dog called buster. Nothing in that video to suggest anything remotely wrong with them.[/quote]

Yes, I'm sure that she is the next Mother Theresa and a shining light for all to follow.
The whole incident was down to the reckless riding of the OP who even had the audacity to selfishly take the kid and his bike back home to his mother. Almost criminal behaviour.
The darling child should be encouraged to cross the road without looking.

And Buster. What a gem. Lassie has nothing on him.

I reckon that the mother should sue the OP for every penny he's got.

ultraviolet

it can't rain all the time....
Well done on highlighting the sexism theclaud - some very unfair comments have been made about the lady in the video. Personally I can't see what the parents have done wrong with regards to safety. Human beings make mistakes, and that's all the young lad on the bike did. Are his parents meant to have him strapped into a papoose until he reaches the age where he'll never make a mistake? No such age exists.

perfectly put.

i think i'll stop subscribing to this thread now :-)

Recycler

Are his parents meant to have him strapped into a papoose until he reaches the age where he'll never make a mistake? No such age exists.

No, of course they aren't. However, they should be expected to take responsibility for the lads actions.

Top Bottom