Taken out by another cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
just watched the video;

parents are responsible for there children................

accidents are accidents, look back at the video and at the child, he'll forget the moment. i'm sure he'll be more careful in the years to come.

Parents are responsible yes. I reckon this is a good case for going back to our old mantra of 'there are no accidents, only incidents. With incidents theres generally liability and in this case I wou7ldn't necessarily put it on the lad or BP. I'd put a good portion on the mum, considering the lads admitted history of cycling incidents.
My 2 lads have just got bikes. I also got 'em highway code books and make sure they read them. I take them out, ride with them and get them used to hazard awareness, lifesavers.
She's the adult, she's the legal GUARDIAN, she should have an idea what he's like on a bike. Same way that sitting next to a provisional driver makes me responsible for the car.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
would you still be going around the parents place hoping for compensation like you did if the child was lieing face down lifeless on the tarmac bleeding?

Would you like to rephrase that just slightly more accurately and give your post a little bit of honesty? All he did was ask for a phone number in case there was damage, and he was careful to say he didn't think there was any damage.

I think this thread may have run out of puff a little.

I try to be Mr Calm at all times in traffic, but have said some extraordinary and blunt things in the immediate aftermath of a scare or a collision.

With or without 20-20 hindsight, the OP kept his calm after the impact, got the kid home safely and didn't go all "Claim the Max" about the collision.

The kid was wrong, but so was I in almost every action I took at 11. I cycled to school in SE1 and EC4 at that age and ought really to have died before 1975 if my road skills had played a part in my survival.

The mother came across less than fabulously, but didn't earn the vitriol heaped on her by some posters.

We are all human and the people in the video are displaying fairly typical human behaviour.

Hindsight Warriors can be as saintly, wise or clever as they want - but there's nothing like shock or adrenalin to slightly crunch the gears in your brain.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Hindsight Warrior Alert, then!

I've been following this thread but only just had the chance to watch the video with the sound on. Now that I have, I'm surprised the thread wasn't locked long ago - after all the opprobrium heaped upon her, I was expecting to see her swearing her head off and hurling a litany of abuse and prejudice at the OP. In fact all she has done is to be politely wary of someone who has collided with her son and is talking about money and blame rather too much. I'm sure everyone acknowledges that the kid's manoeuvre happened rather quickly, and that it would have taken exceptional reactions to have avoided a collision altogether at that speed. Which was, it has to be said, pretty nippy. A lot nippier, for example, than the speed at which one would pass a child on a bike that closely if one were not separated from him by the meanings that arise from the idea of pavement vs. road - or at least not without watching him like a hawk and covering the brakes. I'm afraid I'm inclined to be the devil for whom Gambatte was advocating early in the thread.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
O.K. then. I've heard lots of comments on my original video. The more I think about it, even though the Mother (IMHO) was out of line (and wrong form a legal standpoint) the more I think that the best thing to do would be to edit the video. I'm not going to bother messing around pixelating (I can't even spell it ne' mind do it!) So I've just cut it, but not removed it because I reckon there are 2 important things that can be gained from viewing the video.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oBzNTQ08MNg

1/ It points out just how quick things can happen and catch you off guard. Even if you think you're riding as safely as possible. It's hard to hold primary, watch out for cars pulling out from the junction coming up on the right, and watch out for the kid on the pavement. I don't think in all honesty that many would've been able to avoid this collision.....but, hopefully I won't get caught out again!

2/ For gawds sake, everyone please show their kids just what can happen if they don't look before crossing the road!

And on that note, thankyou, and good night.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
O.K. then. I've heard lots of comments on my original video. The more I think about it, even though the Mother (IMHO) was out of line (and wrong form a legal standpoint) the more I think that the best thing to do would be to edit the video. I'm not going to bother messing around pixelating (I can't even spell it ne' mind do it!) So I've just cut it, but not removed it because I reckon there are 2 important things that can be gained from viewing the video.

1/ It points out just how quick things can happen and catch you off guard. Even if you think you're riding as safely as possible. It's hard to hold primary, watch out for cars pulling out from the junction coming up on the right, and watch out for the kid on the pavement. I don't think in all honesty that many would've been able to avoid this collision.....but, hopefully I won't get caught out again!

2/ For gawds sake, everyone please show their kids just what can happen if they don't look before crossing the road!
And on that note, thankyou, and good night.

At the risk of prolonging a disagreement, I think a more positive message would be one that doesn't place all the responsibility on the shoulders of road users even more vulnerable than ourselves. How about: Remember that kids do things without looking - slow down, watch them, and give them loads of space? The title of your video doesn't help, if you don't mind my saying so.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
No, I think there's a limit to how much care you can take over vulnerable road users, and I think this case exceeds it.

I'd like to think my horse and pedestrian videos should show how much care I take around peds. I don't think I could have avoided this one myself.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

The title of your video doesn't help, if you don't mind my saying so.

Erm, I was T-Boned.....off my bike.....by another cyclist. I was going to call it 'Ramases Niblick the third...Kerplunk, Kerplunk, Whoops! Wheres my thribble?' But than realised that if someone was looking at you tube and wanted to find videos of a cyclist getting T-Boned, then the former title would be far more effective than the latter.

How about: Remember that kids do things without looking - slow down, watch them, and give them loads of space?

Good point Mr Hindsight. Maybe you should give lessons on how to ride (or go through life for that matter) without ever ever ever missing one of the billions of (however unlikely) possible scenarios that could happen daily.

I heard that a guy in China was killed by a falling meteorite. What a Wally, fancy walking around without constantly scouring the skies for falling meteorites, talk about asking for it!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
No, I think there's a limit to how much care you can take over vulnerable road users, and I think this case exceeds it.

I'd like to think my horse and pedestrian videos should show how much care I take around peds. I don't think I could have avoided this one myself.

You think? He's a child. He did the sort of thing children do. Let's aim to create the sort of public spaces where children don't pay for making a silly manoeuvre by being broadsided at 25mph. If BP had been in a car going at 30, would people seriously be arguing that the driver had no duty of care towards a child on the adjacent pavement? The bottom line, I'm afraid, is that BP needn't have been going at 25mph, and/or might have predicted that the kid might not go straight on. I'm not saying I wouldn't have been going too fast in the same situation, or would have seen it coming much sooner, but there it is...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Erm, I was T-Boned.....off my bike.....by another cyclist. I was going to call it 'Ramases Niblick the third...Kerplunk, Kerplunk, Whoops! Wheres my thribble?' But than realised that if someone was looking at you tube and wanted to find videos of a cyclist getting T-Boned, then the former title would be far more effective than the latter.

Good point Mr Hindsight. Maybe you should give lessons on how to ride (or go through life for that matter) without ever ever ever missing one of the dozens of (however unlikely) possible scenarios that could happen daily.

I heard that a guy in China who was killed by a falling meteorite. What a Wally, fancy walking around without constantly scouring the skies for falling meteorites, talk about asking for it!

What happened to "thank you and goodnight?" It might be technically correct, but it is nevertheless odd, to refer in the context of a traffic incident to a-kid-on-a-bike-on-the-pavement as "another cyclist". It suggests an equivalence between you, when in fact you're the grown-up, and you're faster and heavier. And you T-boned him, not the other way round.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

The bottom line, I'm afraid, is that BP needn't have been going at 25mph,

.....Unless you're on a busy road, in which case it's sometimes far safer (especially near pinch points) to be near to the speed of the other traffic to prevent overtakes. CAN I JUST POINT OUT THAT HAD I BEEN GOING SLOWER, I WOULD'VE BEEN OVERTAKEN BY THE MANY CARS BEHIND, AND THEN THE KID WOULD'VE BEEN HIT BY ON OF THOSE.

What happened to "thank you and goodnight?" It might be technically correct, but it is nevertheless odd, to refer in the context of a traffic incident to a-kid-on-a-bike-on-the-pavement as "another cyclist". It suggests an equivalence between you, when in fact you're the grown-up, and you're faster and heavier. And you T-boned him, not the other way round.

I bow down before you, for you are indeed a God. Please please spread the word. Teach us all. We yearn for your awesome power of never ever making a mistake. Oh, and the video title is 'T-Boned by another cyclist', and if you're going to be so pedantic, then maybe I meant the title to represent the other cyclist.....he was 'T-Boned by another cyclist'....me! See, I can be pedantic too.

Top Bottom