Taken out by another cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yep, I'm with Black Panther. Getting everything out of the way was important - did you not hear the moton already getting on the horn with impatience? Oh, and as far as I can see the kid's arm was fine, it was his leg that was sore.

BP, I would suggest that you have nothing further to do with the family. I just feel that they are very likely to misbehave towards you in the future in some way.

I think, if we're not careful we're going to start going round in an unproductive spiral of trying to lay blame.

this was an accident, Black Panther assessed the situation and made a decision, the boy on the bike made a split second decision and hopefully has learnt from it, either way, no one set out for this incident to happen.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Not wanting to get into a slagging match about who is right and who is wrong here but maybe this is why as cyclists we should have insurance, if you were a car driver this would of been a hell of alot worse :sad: however a car driver would have insurance and this would of been dealt with via that surely.

I agree about how much worse it would've been if I was in the car. For a start I wouldn't have caught the collision on camera, and I/or the car that hit him would probably now be under investigation if injury occurred.

The fact is that the kid wasn't 100% to blame. Mechanical failures aside, when 2 vehicles collide, even if one jumps a red light, you should be ready for such occurrences. Indeed, I've avoided such scenarios before and 'saved' someone from causing an accident. I drive/cycle/motorcycle in excess of 40,000 miles a year (I'm an HGV driver) and without blowing my own trumpet, there have been quite a few times over the years when I've taken avoiding action to prevent a collision. Even in a 28 ton lorry, you still get the 'SMIDSY' drivers.

Maybe if I'd been more focused on the cyclist on the pavement, I could've avoided him? But tbh, I was holding primary, watching for any cars behind to do a dodgy overtake, plus there's a junction coming up on my right where cars regularly pull out on me (and other cyclists). Other than get off and push the bike every time there's a ped/cyclist in my vicinity I'm at a bit of a loss. Someone suggested ringing the bell, which tbh wouldn't have made the blindest bit of difference.....the kid changed his mind at the last second, and a 'ping ping' wouldn't have stopped him. Maybe I could've used the airzound, but then you risk winding up car drivers. I'd like to leave y'all with this thought.

No-one's ever too old or experienced to learn. I've learned something from this experience, but when you've got so much going on in front, behind and at the side of you, it's difficult (20/20 hindsight aside) to always notice everything which is happening around you, all of the time. If this vid makes just one cyclist/car driver that bit more aware or the unpredictability of kids, then it's served its purpose. AMEN.

Gary E

Veteran
I agree about how much worse it would've been if I was in the car. For a start I wouldn't have caught the collision on camera, and I/or the car that hit him would probably now be under investigation if injury occurred.

The fact is that the kid wasn't 100% to blame. Mechanical failures aside, when 2 vehicles collide, even if one jumps a red light, you should be ready for such occurrences. Indeed, I've avoided such scenarios before and 'saved' someone from causing an accident. I drive/cycle/motorcycle in excess of 40,000 miles a year (I'm an HGV driver) and without blowing my own trumpet, there have been quite a few times over the years when I've taken avoiding action to prevent a collision. Even in a 28 ton lorry, you still get the 'SMIDSY' drivers.

Maybe if I'd been more focused on the cyclist on the pavement, I could've avoided him? But tbh, I was holding primary, watching for any cars behind to do a dodgy overtake, plus there's a junction coming up on my right where cars regularly pull out on me (and other cyclists). Other than get off and push the bike every time there's a ped/cyclist in my vicinity I'm at a bit of a loss. Someone suggested ringing the bell, which tbh wouldn't have made the blindest bit of difference.....the kid changed his mind at the last second, and a 'ping ping' wouldn't have stopped him. Maybe I could've used the airzound, but then you risk winding up car drivers. I'd like to leave y'all with this thought.

No-one's ever too old or experienced to learn. I've learned something from this experience, but when you've got so much going on in front, behind and at the side of you, it's difficult (20/20 hindsight aside) to always notice everything which is happening around you, all of the time. If this vid makes just one cyclist/car driver that bit more aware or the unpredictability of kids, then it's served its purpose. AMEN.
Top man! and a brave thing to say after all the flack. It's a shame more threads can't meet somewhere in the middle like this.

Paul J

Seriously are you suggesting, after watching that video that the OP is responsible for the accident?

And " It's people like you with the "I am better than every other road user attitude" that gets up drivers and other cyclists noses" - do you not see the irony in that statement?

No but no doubt you will explain :laugh:

Recycler

[QUOTE 1824409, member: 9609"]Reactions amongst children are not very predictable, stuff like this will go round his school like wildfire, hopefully it will make him a bit of a hero, but then again it could insight bullying. And what an enormous concept for a young child to contemplate, a video of his accident being viewed worldwide, let alone all the nasty uncalled for comments about his mother.[/quote]

Gosh...... It might even end up with the kid learning that it's not wise to go onto the road without looking. After all, the poor kid doesn't seem to have learnt that simple lesson from his mother.

tongskie01

You can't be serious? I wonder how you control children at all times without putting them on some kind of leash or locking them in a room. The child was at an age when children go out and play. He should have looked before wondering into the road. He got a very nasty shock. He was lucky it wasn't a car. He probably won't do it again.

excuse me but we're in the 21st century. even grown up people would think twice to cross that road more so on a bicycle. i wouldn't let my kids wander unsupervised. the boy was lucky it wasn't a car that hit him.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I don't think it is particularly irresponible or unusual to allow an 11 year old out on his bike like that. Kids will always have accidents and get into scrapes. I certainly did. It's part of growing up.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Strange how we all fall into habittual terminology. We've regularly stated on other collisions how they are 'incidents', but introduce kids and 'accidents' occur...

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
[QUOTE 1824409, member: 9609"]Reactions amongst children are not very predictable, stuff like this will go round his school like wildfire, hopefully it will make him a bit of a hero, but then again it could insight bullying. And what an enormous concept for a young child to contemplate, a video of his accident being viewed worldwide, let alone all the nasty uncalled for comments about his mother.[/quote]
I can't help but agree with you to a degree, especially to the points about his mother.
However to echo Recyclers point. IME The 'educational' one off talks at school about road safety etc can seem reasonable, but disjointed from your own reality. They have no personal connection, they're actors.
If just one of his mates views it and think "That could have been me.... and what if!!"
Could be a positive move?

johnnyh

Veteran
I would like to think the lad got a right good ticking off once inside the house, and that the parents reaction was that of a parent who will always stand up for their child...

I guess we will never know.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
I'm guessing there'll be some on here that'd say you were approaching a crossing it was up to you to anticipate that a kid on a bike might just ride out?
Playing devils advocate BTW:rolleyes:
this was my first thought, if you were on a motor bike or in a car? kids adults and me do stupid things sometimes and its great when someone more alert saves us.

ultraviolet

it can't rain all the time....
just watched the video;

would you still be going around the parents place hoping for compensation like you did if the child was lieing face down lifeless on the tarmac bleeding?

i thought you where going round to the parents house to make sure the child was ok and see him get home safely

parents are responsible for there children. if there child had maliciously riden into you and coursed damage, then i think that would be ok to pop round like you did

accidents are accidents, look back at the video and at the child, he'll forget the moment. i'm sure he'll be more careful in the years to come.

i had the same thing happen to me a few years and the main thing that sticks in my mind is the kids face as he was stairing down at me while i was in utter pain with a popped out shoulder

Top Bottom