Taken out by another cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dawesome

Maybe later, if there was damage, I'd mention it but I'm not sure about liability when children cause accidents.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Maybe later, if there was damage, I'd mention it but I'm not sure about liability when children cause accidents.

If you're of an age when you are held liable for criminal prosecution, I reckon you can be held liable for damages from what we've seen?
If there were damages it's likely her household insurance would cover it.....
We're talking here when there are no damages. What if BP had several £100s of pounds damage, would we be saying 'suck it up'?

dawesome

The kid needs to be warned about riding straight into the road, the consequences could have been much worse. The mum went into protective mum-mode, which is entirely understandable. I don't think I would mention compo at all, much less at that moment.

tongskie01

as parents, we should take responsibility for our children actions. we should be in contol over them all the time. if we let them loose and they make mistakes, thats the risk that we have to answer for...

Shaun

Founder
I think it's more a matter of timing. Expecting the mum to take it all in and agree to compensation within minutes of learning about it is a bit harsh IMHO. The name calling because of this isn't really nice either. We don't know the woman.

I think as cyclists we can all sympathise with and be supportive of BP, but I just think the compensation discussion would have been better taking place later on - maybe on the ride home from work after a proper assessment of the bike and a better idea of how much we're talking about. :thumbsup:

stowie

Legendary Member
as parents, we should take responsibility for our children actions. we should be in contol over them all the time. if we let them loose and they make mistakes, thats the risk that we have to answer for...

You can't be serious? I wonder how you control children at all times without putting them on some kind of leash or locking them in a room. The child was at an age when children go out and play. He should have looked before wondering into the road. He got a very nasty shock. He was lucky it wasn't a car. He probably won't do it again.

The more I look at the video, the more I think this is a case of bad timing and the fact that she didn't really handle the situation really well. On the other hand, if a stranger started talking about compensation I wouldn't probably agree to it, but be more circumspect. I would give my details and take theirs, as well as noting down the state of the cycles (maybe camera phone pictures). I would keep this very friendly and thank the OP profusely for his help with my child. I am uncomfortable with the terminology being used on this forum for her - I just think she was a bit bemused by the situation, probably worried about her son, and concerned about talk of repair bills with a stranger with whom she was trying to understand the events. And this came out as defensive denials.

I watched without audio and couldn't help wondering if mum was mainly concerned about how her lad is - I could see him almost going into shock as he realises how close he came just before his sister gives him a hug and takes him inside - mum was probably wanting to patch him up, give him a shouting at etc before thinking about anything else.

speaking only for myself...If that was my son Id be horrified and thankful beyond words to you for making sure he made it home okay. And without question I would pay for any damages caused (once I had seen the footage of course)

I'd need a moment or two to take in the fact my kid had nearly been flattened by anything before I was able to discuss much else

My other half arrived at the scene of a big accident at the weekend. Young lad had written his car off. She said everyone else was just picking their way throught the wreckage and driving off, so she got out and rang an ambulance for him, checked he was ok...etc

It sometimes feels like we live in a hostile, every-man-for-himself world.

given that my wife has current nurse training, legally we have to stop incase she can do something
although she's only paediatric trained and so not certain on assisting adults.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Expecting the mum to take it all in and agree to compensation within minutes of learning about it is a bit harsh IMHO.

NO ONE ASKED FOR COMPENSATION. Just for a phone number.

Mike8782

I watched without audio and couldn't help wondering if mum was mainly concerned about how her lad is - I could see him almost going into shock as he realises how close he came just before his sister gives him a hug and takes him inside - mum was probably wanting to patch him up, give him a shouting at etc before thinking about anything else.

That's kind of how I read it. The boy looks quite upset and that's going to be the Mum's priority. I can imagine my Mum being in this situation had it been a young me, and I could see how she would be more worried about me than discussing money. I tend to think timing was more the issue then the woman's attitude itself.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
*BULLSHIT* All she was worried about was avoiding any further contact with the VICTIM, Black Panther. She refused to exchange phone numbers, and that makes her contemptible.

Interestingly, I saw the 'confrontation' (can't think of a better description ATM) quite differently. I was surprised to see two reasonable people completely butting heads - however it was clear both were reasonable people. I rarely get the privilege of dealing with these. She's wrong that it wouldn't be her responsibilty to pay. Panther is probably wrong to take the stance he did of insisting for details hat he probably didn't need - he had the lads name and his address after all.

Both these wrongs aren't big, aren't huge, and both have been blown out of all proportion by the various sides on here - which is natural, it's a forum, it provokes debate. However, at the end of the day I think any level headed person would agree that the woman doesn't deserve to be called an 'evil bitch', just as Panther doesn't deserve the panning he has had.

From the brief view I have of each, and the opinion I've inferred from their behaviour, I think that if both Panther and the woman sat, watched the clip, then read this post, they'd both apologise to each other.

*BULLSHIT* All she was worried about was avoiding any further contact with the VICTIM, Black Panther. She refused to exchange phone numbers, and that makes her contemptible.

I think, before classing her as contemptible she should be given a second chance to discuss etc at a time when she's not thinking 'Brian could have been flattened by a truck'

you're told when driving and in an incident to exchange contact info etc and you hold the information in the back of your mind, no one has ever told you what to do when someone arrives with your son in a shaken state, his damaged bike and tells you 'your son rode in front of me, i knocked him off and have helped him home'

it's a few things to take in at one time

gavintc

Guru
I presume that few of you have passed your driving test as this scenario is tested in the Hazard Perception Test. This is a predictable hazard demanding some care and prediction. To me the cyclist's behaviour comes across as "Get out of my way, I am a cyclist". Consider, had this been a 5 year old on a bike rolling down a drive and into the road. Simply because the child is about 11/12 does not change the scenario. As road users, we are required to take care and to watch out for hazards - good road sense is vital.

Personally, I think the woman's mother could ask the cyclist for compensation. He was certainly not cycling with due care and attention for the prevailing conditions.

Top Bottom