Taking bikes on South West Rail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

acuna_read

Going to be travelling from London to the South West and taking my bike with me in the near future. Went onto the website and tried contacting by social media and the contact form on the website to reserve a space with no response. Called today to be informed that they are no longer reserving bike spaces and it's now on a first come-first serve basis.

Having never used SWR I have found the service in regards to taking a bike on a train essentially non-existent in spite of the blurb on their website encouraging it. Has anyone just turned up with their bike to an SWR train, been able to get your bike on or am I better to leave the bike?

Having never used SWR I have found the service in regards to taking a bike on a train essentially non-existent in spite of the blurb on their website encouraging it
well have you used them, or not?? :wacko:

Slower services often have trains that can take loads of bikes. So it might pay to do some research - I don't know your local details.

(I need to get my bike on a high-speed train to Devon soon, so I'm probably FUBARed ... )

OP
OP
A

acuna_read

well have you used them, or not?? :wacko:

(I need to get my bike on a high-speed train to Devon soon, so I'm probably FUBARed ... )

I have attempted to utilise the services to reserve a bike space, which have proved to be non-existant.

I have used GWR before and been very helpful and swift in confirming a bike space, possibly better for your future trip.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've never needed to reserve a space on SWR, admittedly the more suburban/local trains from London to Guildford for example, where the bike spaces are just in the carriages and not separate as on some of the Intercity routes?

Where are you travelling to? Can you pop to Waterloo / Clapham Junction and ask one of the guys at the station as to what the situation is on the trains on the route you'll be taking?
There is a risk that the train will be full and you can't get a bike on because of too many people standing/already in the bike area (although they do have a couple or more on long trains usually).

Also, you can't take full size bikes in rush hour/at certain peak times

Last edited:
Top Bottom