Taking Bikes on TransPennine Express Trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Some very good news about T.P.E changing their policy that required 24 hour advance booking of bikes on their trains. See link below:
https://tpexpress.co.uk/travelling-with-us/travelling-with-a-bike
Good news indeed. The problem with the 24 hour notice was always having to guess which train you would get at the end of a long ride. Having to allow for mechanicals etc would mean booking a space on a train later than probably necessary

Now I can book on the train I'm most likely to want, then if I'm delayed I can (hopefully) book on a later train by calling them.

I'm still hopeful that the guard on the train will not enforce the booking requirement at all, as they haven't in the past

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've never had any hassle from a train guard, even on Virgin Rail. They don't even bother asking to see my railcard.

JuanLobbe

Über Member
Planning to do this for first time next week. Bit concerned about security if I'm sitting in another part of the train! Is there anything to lock bikes to?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Planning to do this for first time next week. Bit concerned about security if I'm sitting in another part of the train! Is there anything to lock bikes to?
There sometimes is, and sometimes isn't. I usually try to sit or stand close to the bike to keep an eye on it.

I think it is actually against the terms and conditions of travel to lock the bike, but I wouldn't let that stop me.

For those that think it is a bit paranoid to worry about it - I got chatting to one cyclist on a local train and he told me that he'd had a bike stolen from a train.

I've never had any hassle from a train guard, even on Virgin Rail. They don't even bother asking to see my railcard.
Well I hope they've started checking. There's dedicated very limited room for bikes on those trains so someone just plonking one there could cause severe problems for someone booked on.
Actually booking a bike on virgin is a total pig but that's another matter.

Top Bottom