Taking Folders on Buses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Took the bike on 2 buses today. No problem as both buses were half empty. On a full bus Im not sure where the bike will fit.On the largest luggage rack theres a box full of free newspapers on Cardiff buses which doesn't leave enough space for the bike there .Guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it.
I just put it on top of that if I have to.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Papers are in an open top metal box .Bit concerned about sharp edges cutting through the bag and damaging the bike .Especially as its only a week old!

I could use the papers to cover the edges.

Im wary of upsetting anyone as its drivers discretion to let the bike on and in a small town they are going to start recognising me .The brompton goes between the seats where your feet go which the dahon wouldnt but this requires a pair of empty seats.

Anyway so far so good. 2 journeys done without problem .

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
5’9” her and S is fine, but due to my relatively long back I use a layback on the seatpost.... as with all my other bikes.

reppans

Worst case in a full bus (or train) I just sit with the bike right on my lap, rack is reasonably comfortable and stable on my legs. Stand room only, lower the seatpost bung as a parking brake and straddle it like a large breifcase. Use the nylon cover when crowded to alleviate dirty bike worries from others. When the bus is empty, test clearance/fit under various seats. Despite my having traveled this rail line a bunch of times with my B, I just recently found mine fits quite nicely here, and it is available on every row, or 20+ per car.

27213357418_3ace899ec7_z.jpg

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Im wary of upsetting anyone as its drivers discretion to let the bike on and in a small town they are going to start recognising me .The brompton goes between the seats where your feet go which the dahon wouldnt but this requires a pair of empty seats.

If you're polite to the drivers - not everyone is - the chances are you'll build up a relationship with them and they'll be happy to accommodate you on those days that it is a bit busy.

I've had a train conductor find a space for my full size bike on an absolutely packed train. I reckon it was because he recognised me as someone who always said "good morning" and "thanks" when I was regularly traveling with the Brompton.

Lpo90

Hi, reading this thread with interest. I am a driver for Cardiff Bus. You are allowed a folded bike on the buses, sure it says somewhere in the conditions of carriage.
I know what you mean about the metro boxes, they make things harder when finding a space for folded buggies. Not many people in Cardiff seem to get on with folded bikes but the few times they have been on my bus the bike is folded bag or no bag and placed on floor in the pram/wheelchair area and the rider either stands next to or sits next to bike. As long as it's not in the centre isle it's fine. Some of my colleagues are right to**ers though who like to be awkward.
Out of interest what part of city are you traveling to/from?

Lpo90

From the website conditions of carriage.

Bicycles other than foldable bikes are not allowed on our vehicles apart from certain vehicles on specific routes which have a specifically built bike trailer in which case bicycles must be stored in such trailers as directed. Foldable bikes must be securely folded and stored in the designated luggage area of the vehicle so that they are stable and do not cause any obstruction.

During travel, buggies, prams and pushchairs must be securely positioned so that they are stable and do not cause an obstruction or obstruct the aisle. At the drivers discretion, there may be times when a pushchair, buggy or foldable bike will not be allowed to board due to insufficient space being available. This is for your health and safety.

Years ago we used to have a bike trailer for the Brecon Beacons bike bus but funding was stopped.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

I live in Barry and need to travel into near the merrie harriers on a 95 quite often get off then cycle down Andrews road and over the Pon t y Werin bridge to Watkiss way.Also go into city center occassionally.

Noticed the 96 (I think) stops on fitzhammon embankment so ideal for a jaunt up the taff trail.

I learnt one lesson .never board a bus with the bike in one hand and a bag in the other unless you like flying up the aisle out of control as the bus moves off !!

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

The inconvenient metro paper boxes make the luggage rack almost useless.
Metro boxes.jpg

Brommie in the bag.Its an old drawstring sail bag that I already had for carrying camping stuff.Rolls up enough to jam in a pocket or more easily in a rucksack.

Attachments

• bike in bag.jpg
    bike in bag.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom