Taking over the bike shop...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As part of my new contract discussions at work I've been asked if I'd consider taking over the bike shop/department in one of our large second hand shops.

I work for a small NGO working with people who are long term unemployed; the "bike shop" sells refurbished donated bikes while giving work to two or three clients. At the moment it's a workshop hidden round the back, with a few bikes on display in the general shop. It's losing money at the moment.

I'm going to suggest that we move some of the workshop into the "public" area alongside the furniture showroom and the sewing and alterations shop, so it's more visible for casual customers, and focus on the idea of selling affordable mobility and affordable adventures, on the basis most normal, non CC people probably aren't buying a bike, they're buying a way to get to work or go out for the afternoon. To reinforce this I'm planning to use lots of natural wood and hand drawn signage.

I've managed to get most of my ideas into one sheet of paper, although I've lost a fair bit of detail. The shop is generally called "Fairkauf" which means "Fair buying" and most departments have "Fair..." in the title. "Fair Rad" is also a slight play in the word "Fahrrad" or Bicycle, although I promise that happened by accident because "Faircycle" was already taken...

Fair_Rad_Sketch_EN.jpg

Any thoughts welcome...

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
As part of my new contract discussions at work I've been asked if I'd consider taking over the bike shop/department.

I work for a small NGO working with people who are long term unemployed; the "bike shop" sells refurbished used bikes while giving work to two or three clients. At the moment it's a workshop hidden round the back, with a few bikes on display in the general shop. It's losing money at the moment.

I'm going to suggest that we move some of the workshop into the "public" area alongside the furniture showroom and the sewing and alterations shop, so it's more visible for casual customers, and focus on the idea of selling affordable mobility and affordable adventures, on the basis most normal, non CC people probably aren't buying a bike, they're buying a way to get to work or go out for the afternoon. To reinforce this I'm planning to use lots of natural wood and hand drawn signage.

I've managed to get most of my ideas into one sheet of paper, although I've lost a fair bit of detail. The shop is generally called "Fairkauf" which means "Fair buying" and most departments have "Fair..." in the title. "Fair Rad" is also a slight play in the word "Fahrrad" or Bicycle, although I promise that happened by accident because "Faircycle" was already taken...

View attachment 634457

Any thoughts welcome...
Check the spelling if you plan on using that drawing.

I'll question the need for a "comfy chair" for use whilst reading and planning. Table and chairs might be better. Be easier clean at least.

Check the spelling if you plan on using that drawing.

I'll question the need for a "comfy chair" for use whilst reading and planning. Table and chairs might be better. Be easier clean at least.

The spelling is a very quick translation of the German which is probably even worse but my boss understands it...

Good point on the comfy chair. Will have to consider that.

Definitely go public as it draws people in , seeing work on bikes. Get social media working for you - local Facebook page, neighbourhood WhatsApp group etc. local radio , go do pop up session in local shopping centre and have a portable banner with your www address etc

I like those ideas; I'd like to get people posting their rides on Fursebook as well, to try and form a "tribe" of users. One possible snag would be language, my clients often have poor German and computer skills, although conversely that's a learning opportunity...

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
The spelling is a very quick translation of the German which is probably even worse but my boss understands it...

Good point on the comfy chair. Will have to consider that.
Will any of those working there, not just the bike area, be cycling in, besides yourself?

The bike stand you're planning on having on view, could be used by them to show the actual work you do. Possibly encouraging more to try cycling. What are the rules on advertising? Could you place a board with the projects name within a frame. Then use the bike locally.

Is the aim to make it profitable or to minimise the costs of the operation?

How skilled is the labour force and are they paid or volunteers?

What are the main sources of the bikes e.g. donations?

I have volunteered in a community bike workshop that renovates and sells donated bikes for 11 years and it is very satisfying and busy, but does rely heavily on volunteer labour and subsidies to keep it feasible, we are pretty successful and in recent years have diversified into running approved bike mechanics courses and taking on commercial repairs (only carried out by salaried staff so as not to disadvantage local bike shops).

An exciting challenge, and opportunity for you, and good luck.:okay:

Hi Andy
It's a great idea and I wish you much success.

My first suggestion is to research any similar organisations and see what you can learn from them. I know when I lived in NL the local council supported something similar using unclaimed bikes picked up by the council for illegal parking. It did a roaring trade mainly with students. Normally there was a wait time for a bike.

To be brutal, comfy chairs, books and maps, natural wood and hand drawn signage are the decorations. What is underneath the decorations is the key to success.

I'd suggest (strongly) on sitting down and devising a Business Plan - treat this as a commercial enterprise and then make allowances for the "social" aspect.
For example how many bikes need to be sold to reach your financial goals? (And what are those financial goals?) If X bikes need to be sold how does that compare to donations? If you want to bump sales by say, 20% will you have enough donor bikes?
Do you know how much it costs to make the average donor bike roadworthy and ready for sale?

A Business Plan would help you define who your market is.
Students? Shoppers? Commuters? Recreational? Tourers/Adventurers? They all have slightly different needs.
It would also help you to define just what you're offering:
Do you plan on offering a repair service or just sales? (Keep in mind a year's guarantee or free servicing for purchased bikes for X time might be a real sales hook).
Will you be selling accessories like lights, locks and consumables (tyres, tubes, cables etc.)?

Creating a community of purchasers is a great idea - but people will hopefully be buying bikes for different needs. There may be more organisations you could team up with that promote active travel, recreational riding etc.

One possible snag would be language, my clients often have poor German and computer skills

But the purchasers aren't your clients! With the correct pitch (and the appropriate literature with every sale) it should be reasonably straightforward to build a little community.

You say that the clients have poor German. I'd wonder how well they'd present in a public setting as opposed to in the workshop in the back. Even professional bike mechanics can be a surly lot.
Also, having someone working on a bike outside of the workshop could be frustrating if they have to keep walking from one place to another for tools or parts, or leave you with a messy, dirty shop floor. Neither is conducive to generating sales.

A Business Plan might also help you to create a "schedule" so that you don't try to do too much at once. Defined steps at scheduled times are easier to plan for and manage. Also good to get "buy in" from all in the group so that everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet.
Similarly, if you're trying to shake things up you may need to "sell" the new ideas to the existing mechanics/clients.

Some random ideas.....
A cargo bike or two for rent would be a great way of getting your message our (suitably painted with your information, of course).
Perhaps "shopper bikes" available to rent by the hour? Ditto recreational bikes. For people who don't have the space to store a bike securely at home.
Talks from local cycling enthusiasts about recreational and overnight options might help.
Talks/demonstrations on mastering GPS navigation (on phones)
In fact, the list of possible talks is endless.. But .... Is that getting away from your objectives? Again, a Business Plan will help you focus.
Tie ins with local stores for panniers, camping gear, locks, baskets etc. - not forgetting the opportunity to "bundle" with goods in other parts of your own store. Perhaps you can talk to the heads of other departments?
Signs at bike parking stations at shops, library, bus station, train station etc. will help get the message out.
Pay attention to @Rusty Nails - you don't want to annoy the local bike shops. Undercut them on anything other than the bikes and you could be making problems for yourself. There are a lot of ways you could cooperate with them and be able to tap into their expertise when it's needed.

By the way, as a spin off there are some wonderful examples of art and decorations from old bike parts ( chains, cassettes etc.) that could be an interesting side opportunity. I have some great photos but am currently locked out of Google. I'm sure if you look online you'll find lots of examples.

I hope you don't think I'm too negative. Genuinely wishing you the best of luck.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My LBS has it's workshop open to public view. I've always thought it a good idea.

A question. You say the clients have poor German. I'm interpreting this to say mean German is not their native language. Am I correct or do you mean they have poor language skills in German as their native language.

I ask because I think it might influence your approach and I had the impression you worked with people who have physical or mental difficulties.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
As @HobbesOnTour says I was going to suggest that you look at what other similar organisations do. Much of what you're suggesting sounds like things that recyke y'bike in Newcastle do. They have have workstands visible to customers, many of the "staff" are volunteers - some of them with additional needs. When they had the shop in the city centre it was linked with a cafe so customers could use that while waiting if they wishes. You mention maps and books, recyke have racks of the free cycling maps that are availble for this area. Perhaps you could do the same.

One of the most popular services in the city centre shop was puncture repair. Even the Deliveroo riders couldn't fix their own and were willing to pay a fiver to have it done for them. Depending on your locallity that might be something to offer.

In terms of your clients being able to deal with customers perhaps some are more mechanically-minded and will stay the background while others enjoy talking to people and can approach customers and offer help.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I like those ideas; I'd like to get people posting their rides on Fursebook as well, to try and form a "tribe" of users. One possible snag would be language, my clients often have poor German and computer skills, although conversely that's a learning opportunity...
The translation to and from German is a fine art, when it comes to getting the tone right. Very easy to think you have it right but in reality the meaning in the context you are using is slightly different. Also worth considering anything translated from EN into DE will need to be validated as just right, especially if it is going to refer to staff or certain kinds of information. You are probably aware of the heavy regulations regarding these kinds of information as mandated by works councils in DE. Bit of a mine field, I'm afraid.

In any case good luck with the project - very worthy.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You say you want to focus on people who would buy a bike to go to work but I think you can appeal to a wider audience. Retro is cool right now so how about pushing that aspect to younger buyers and those that have an interest in bikes?
I wish you luck with your project, I hope it’s a success.

Top Bottom