Taking The First Step Towards Audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Love my SPD sandals. There's even some video footage on the gravel sections on my ‘Forest Faunacation 200’ video. HTH😉

OP
OP
LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I have a couple of questions, if one of you wonderful people could answer, please!

I am looking at this Permanent, the route of which passes near where I live. It's 100km and the organiser states, "Controls at Clumber Park, Harworth, Clowne. Start at any point you can get proof of passage". I live near Clowne, but the route passes closer to home at South Anston.

First question - Do I have to follow the route loop in the direction indicated by the organiser? Or would doing it in reverse be valid?

Second question - Do I have to start and finish at the Control in Clowne (the nearest Control to home), or could I start and finish in South Anston (which the route passes through, but is not a Control and is much, much closer to home)? From what I've read, I would need a shop/bank receipt with date/location to prove where(ever) I started.

Wherever I start I have to cycle to, to get there. I'm thinking about the end of the 100km route when I have to cycle home and I'm knackered!

I'd like to do this soon to start building my distance.

Thanks for all your help! 😀

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have a couple of questions, if one of you wonderful people could answer, please!

I am looking at this Permanent, the route of which passes near where I live. It's 100km and the organiser states, "Controls at Clumber Park, Harworth, Clowne. Start at any point you can get proof of passage". I live near Clowne, but the route passes closer to home at South Anston.

First question - Do I have to follow the route loop in the direction indicated by the organiser? Or would doing it in reverse be valid?

Second question - Do I have to start and finish at the Control in Clowne (the nearest Control to home), or could I start and finish in South Anston (which the route passes through, but is not a Control and is much, much closer to home)? From what I've read, I would need a shop/bank receipt with date/location to prove where(ever) I started.

Wherever I start I have to cycle to, to get there. I'm thinking about the end of the 100km route when I have to cycle home and I'm knackered!

I'd like to do this soon to start building my distance.

Thanks for all your help! 😀
Organisers vary in what latitude they allow. Ask the organiser. But yes, you will need proof-of-passage at start & finish, as well at at each control point.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Or ride it as a Mandatory DIY from your doorstep then you just adapt the route to suit.
The OP is trying to take their 'first steps' to audax. Not sure jumping to mandatory electronic is a first step I'd recommend. And misses all the fun of shops, cafes, garage forecourts and ATMs, and the experience thereof which will be useful when they embark on a calendar event. Also means that a rider MUST follow exactly the route planned - where's the fun and freedom in that? YMMV
I believe it is considered polite to the ask a permanent route's organiser before adopting their route, even with minor adaptions, as a DIY.
Start/Finish=Alfreton. "Controls at Clumber Park, Harworth, Clowne Start at any point you can get proof of passage" - so I think it's likely that Tom Fox will be content for you to start (and finish) at a point eg close to home where you can get PoP. He doesn't offer a phone number or e-mail address so while @Ian H 's advice to 'ask' is (of course) best, it's not so easy in practice, with the delay of snail mail and 2 stamps.
If you haven't joined Audax UK, I recommend it, and a year's (or 5 years') subscription will include the remainder of this year - bargain.
This site (I contributed to this work) shows where Audax UK Permanents go:
https://maps.hertsaudax.uk/audax-uk-permanents/

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Good points @Ajax Bay

I guess, although I am new to audax, I am comfortable with the computer/GPX/GPS side of things from my touring experience.

With regard to asking organisers to use their route or even other riders on Strava or your own club: That is just polite. You are probably never going to get a ‘no’ and I have always been thanked for being polite. Recently one of my routes was used almost to the metre without being asked despite knowing me and my approachability. It has left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Sure audax is known for old fashioned steel, bobble hats and sandals but really it’s about old fashioned values and camaraderie.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Organisers vary in what latitude they allow. Ask the organiser. But yes, you will need proof-of-passage at start & finish, as well at at each control point.
I thought I would ask the organiser, but I wanted to know if it was possible before doing so from experienced audaxers ^_^

Or ride it as a Mandatory DIY from your doorstep then you just adapt the route to suit. Submit a compressed GPX of your intended ride to your local DIY organiser and when you’ve ridden it, submit the ride GPX (compressed)

That way you don’t need to get receipts or similar proof.
I haven't read about the DIY-side of things yet as I thought I'd try established routes first. I'll add it to the list! ^_^

The OP is trying to take their 'first steps' to audax. Not sure jumping to mandatory electronic is a first step I'd recommend. And misses all the fun of shops, cafes, garage forecourts and ATMs, and the experience thereof which will be useful when they embark on a calendar event. Also means that a rider MUST follow exactly the route planned - where's the fun and freedom in that? YMMV
I believe it is considered polite to the ask a permanent route's organiser before adopting their route, even with minor adaptions, as a DIY.
Start/Finish=Alfreton. "Controls at Clumber Park, Harworth, Clowne Start at any point you can get proof of passage" - so I think it's likely that Tom Fox will be content for you to start (and finish) at a point eg close to home where you can get PoP. He doesn't offer a phone number or e-mail address so while @Ian H 's advice to 'ask' is (of course) best, it's not so easy in practice, with the delay of snail mail and 2 stamps.
Yes, I'm wanting to have one or more 'practice' run(s) at Audax so that when I ride a Calendar Event I know what I'm supposed to be doing, no matter the format. I've found the organiser's email so I should get answers a little more quickly than by post.

If you haven't joined Audax UK, I recommend it, and a year's (or 5 years') subscription will include the remainder of this year - bargain.
This site (I contributed to this work) shows where Audax UK Permanents go:
https://maps.hertsaudax.uk/audax-uk-permanents/
I've joined AUK which is now valid until end of 2020. That's a great website and makes it so much easier to find events!

Good points @Ajax Bay

I guess, although I am new to audax, I am comfortable with the computer/GPX/GPS side of things from my touring experience.

With regard to asking organisers to use their route or even other riders on Strava or your own club: That is just polite. You are probably are never going to get a ‘no’ and I have always been thanked for being polite. Recently one of my routes was used almost to the metre without being asked despite knowing me and my approachability. It has left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Sure audax is known for old fashioned steel, bobble hats and sandals but really it’s about old fashioned values and camaraderie.
I've used a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt since July and found it great especially when I've not known the area I'm riding in. I am an explorer though and often deviate from course, just because.

Sorry to hear about someone poaching your route. Politeness and manners cost nothing.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
...Sorry to hear about someone poaching your route. Politeness and manners cost nothing.

Absolutely. Obviously they aren’t ‘my’ roads but it takes hours to build a good 200km route on RWGPS. And it takes minutes for someone to ‘prepare for tracing’ your route and save it as their own. Poor form.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog

OP
OP
LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I emailed the organiser and he invited me to call him tonight to have a chat about audax and what to expect! He said in his email that he's happy for me to start from where I want and that I only have to give him a couple of days notice of when I want to do the ride so I can choose a day with good weather forecasted. In the end, I didn't ask him about doing the route in reverse as I had changed my mind. He sounds like a nice chap :smile:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have a rider starting one of my perms tomorrow. I sent him the brevet card a while back but he injured himself running. Emailing today to say he's riding tomorrow was fine.

Some Easter Arrow friends also wanted to "borrow" bits of one of my calendar events. They asked me if it was ok. No problems, won't affect calendar event and they might just be on next year's version.

Bobble hat or helmet? That is really up to you. There's no helmet rule for Audax just UK law. So if you are happier with a bobble hat go for it. I wear caps or beanies. No one on Audax comments on such stuff, so don't sweat it.

10 hours a week sounds about right for a base. My commute of 45 mins each way comes to 7.5 hours per week, 2.5 hours for mid week CTC evening ride. That's 10 hours. Then add in the odd 80-100km ride on the weekend and you'll be ready for a 200km Audax. Think I went straight there ignoring the 100 mile distance in between.

Make sure you have a good front light for this time of year. One that enables you to see in unlit country lanes. Plus a couple of lights on rear in case one fails or batteries go.

Welcome to Audax. I'm in my 10th year and still love it. But I do like night riding from my commuting through the winter which helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I have a rider starting one of my perms tomorrow. I sent him the brevet card a while back but he injured himself running. Emailing today to say he's riding tomorrow was fine.

Some Easter Arrow friends also wanted to "borrow" bits of one of my calendar events. They asked me if it was ok. No problems, won't affect calendar event and they might just be on next year's version.

Bobble hat or helmet? That is really up to you. There's no helmet rule for Audax just UK law. So if you are happier with a bobble hat go for it. I wear caps or beanies. No one on Audax comments on such stuff, so don't sweat it.

10 hours a week sounds about right for a base. My commute of 45 mins each way comes to 7.5 hours per week, 2.5 hours for mid week CTC evening ride. That's 10 hours. Then add in the odd 80-100km ride on the weekend and you'll be ready for a 200km Audax. Think I went straight there ignoring the 100 mile distance in between.

Make sure you have a good front light for this time of year. One that enables you to see in unlit country lanes. Plus a couple of lights on rear in case one fails or batteries go.

Welcome to Audax. I'm in my 10th year and still love it. But I do like night riding from my commuting through the winter which helps.
Thanks for this. I'm so used to riding with a helmet, it would feel strange to be without one.

My training this week is going to be all on the turbo. Earlier this week due to rain, today because I've sprained my wrist! I can still get most of the time in though.

Good point about the lights. One that bears thinking about. My best front light is 350 lumen which may not be bright enough. The 100km route I'm planning to do first can be completed in less than 6 hours according to Komoot route planner so if I plan it right, I'll be back before dark. I'll still have my lights with me just in case. And a spare for the back.

I've printed off my first entry form, written the cheque and will put it in the post tomorrow. I hope the weather improves (and my wrist) soon so I can ride the route. I know it won't get me any Audax points or anything, but I will enjoy the experience (provided I get clothing right!).

Last edited:
Top Bottom