Taking the train?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

timmyeatchips

Does anyone on here use the train as part of a regular commute?

My main excuse for getting my bike was that my new job isn't walkable from the train station, but I still do need to get the train part of the way.

I've asked about the availability of bike spaces on the train and apparently there are 3, and they are bookable. Does anybody else book a regular space for their daily commute? Will you be flatly refused entry on an early morning, quiet train if the bike spaces are full?

Twanger

Über Member
Yes, I do. I use a Brompton.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I've asked about the availability of bike spaces on the train and apparently there are 3, and they are bookable. Does anybody else book a regular space for their daily commute? Will you be flatly refused entry on an early morning, quiet train if the bike spaces are full?
Generally, if short distance, and outside London - No, you won't be refused entry. That doesn't mean that they can't, though.

Bicycle

I used to be a regular user of the Cathedrals Line into Paddington from out Hereford way. It was an FGW service with InterCity125-style trains.

I was supposed to reserve a space for my bicycle and at one time there was a modest charge (£1?) for putting a bike on the train.

I'm afraid to say I never reserved my space - but also never saw the bike wagon full.

Whenever I said to the ticket guy that I had a bike up front, he'd refuse payment for it.

I no longer use that service, but it was great when I did.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
The only way to find out is to 'suck it and see'. If the bike spaces are well used then the train company will probably instruct conductors to enforce the rules. Even if space is underutilised you might find the conductor/RPI team includes a cohort of 'jobsworths' who'll insist on reservation.

Alternatives would be a folder or a hack bike stored at the station.

trichens

I use local train for a large chunk of my journey now it's cold and dark. Train has space for two cycles, but in reality it seems to be down to what the train staff are happy with. Often we have four cycles in that space; has been as many as SEVEN and not a folder amongst then. I'm pretty sure there are references to booking space in advance but I've never had to on this service.
What's most annoying though is the number of unfolded pushchairs that we often find in the bicycle area despite there being signs about having to fold them. Never had a conductor/RPI complain about me not being in the correct area in these circumstances, so until they do I'll put the bike where I can.

I'd go with "suck-it-and-see", and get to know the traffic on your route(s). Can be tricky if you're using a station in the middle of a service?

It's a while since I've done it, but I used to use a train into Leeds and change to a service on to wherever I was working that week. I got to know quickly there were a couple of ideally timed trains, regularly so jam-packed with sardines that loading a bike was just plain daft.

I used to go for the earlier train - and on the rare occasions it proved to be overfilled, I still had time to cycle down to Leeds Station and catch the train I needed out of there.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Using the train nearly everyday for journey home and never book never had to either! I would go as far as to say Scotrail seem rather bike friendly!

Bigsharn

Veteran
I've never had a problem with Northern trains and my Galaxy. First Transpennine Express seem a bit apprehensive at times and Crosscountry accept bikes albeit begrudgedly.

In my experience, anyway.

Using the train nearly everyday for journey home and never book never had to either! I would go as far as to say Scotrail seem rather bike friendly!
You can't book in central in most of Central Scotland trains. I've come across the odd numpty guard but they are few and far between thankfully and not for a while. The last time was, on the last train on a Sunday night from Dunfermline to Edinburgh several years ago; a different type of train with a separate bike area. There was me a student and two girls at the far end of the carriage. The student tied up his bike horizontally but the guard came and was adamant that it should be vertical. The student protested that it'd cost him £50 to bleed his suspension forks so the guard through him off the train at Inverkeithing.

Top Bottom