Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ok just looked at my Strava for today and on the way home I achieved 3 PR's and 2 second bests, so the wind must have actually helped on some segments!! :girldance: ( even if it was wind assisted:biggrin:).

Can't quite understand the BBC's rain drop symbols depicting rain.
This morning at 0700, website illustrated one rain drop. Fine I thinks, no need for full wet regalia .

Wrong!!!
Just tuned the corner out the village and it pelted down.
th_storm-cloud.gif

I was run off the road by a semi hauling a tandem, HGV with double trailer. The SOB did it purposefully. He gave me the cyclist should ride on the shoulder BS, and that he gave me lots of room when passing. I try not to react to this stuff, but this was very close with a very big vehicle.

400bhp

Guru
I had a cyclist pull out on me this morning. It was actually quite funny as he clearly looked at me, but went anyway. He said sorry as I passed him=I said "don't worry about it". It was just nice to have a fellow roadie going the same way as me for about half a mile.

I also had a bit of a one way chat with a young chap on a BSO who I pass every other day on the back lanes. He doesn't run lights. Decided to have a word this morning, just told him that he should get some because the courts are laying some blame on cyclists when there's an accident and they have no lights. I got no response from him, at all.

Have been feeling proper rough for the last 3 days, so I decided to WFH yesterday. Felt like I needed to go into the office today so took it v steady on the bike.

Bl00dy warm today - c. 13 deg.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Bl00dy warm today - c. 13 deg.
Yep, it was lovely warm as I left work this morning, and dry too....... for about 2 miles then lashed it down :sad:

I got an overpowering smell of raw diesel at one point during the ride which always worries me when on 2 wheels but this morning was particularly bad as I happened to be plummeting down the Bredbury curves in the pouring rain at the time. A slide out on one of those corners would have seen me crossing the central line into the continuous line of backed up traffic crawling the other way :B)

DWiggy

Über Member
Last commute of 2014 yesterday:cry:, picked up today as 1/2 then pub ^_^

Stats for this year 5453miles & 348,845ft climbing & 506 rides...happy with that!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Another very warm morning 12C at 7.30am, so a change to the windcheater and a pair of fingerless gloves. Took one step out of the door just as the mother of all cloudbursts hit, and I mean heavy. So thought bugger it, took bike back indoors to wait for it to pass. Had another cuppa tea whilst waiting. 20 minutes later I was back out of the door hitting the now very wet roads. Too late for the extended commute so thought it best to hit the quick direct route. Which does make a nice change as it's near enough 12 miles all downhill/flat.
Only downside was that there was a heck of a lot of standing water and kept getting hit by spray from cars and lorries, yuk. My bike is now a complete and utter filthpig.

So I left home later, took the quick route and got to work earlier... oh well. It's nice and blue sky out now.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Nasty headwind again this morning but at least it was dry, I thought to myself as I set off.
And then the sky got Blacker and blacker.
At the point it was nearly dark again the first heavy spots of rain fell.
Bugger, thought I.
And then, it came, the monsoon. I did think about stopping to put a jacket on but by the time I'd thought about it I was completely saturated so just plodded on with it. Luckily the rain was so heavy that it seemed to stop the wind in its tracks so I was able to wheeze into work at a reasonable pace towards coffee and a warm dry room.

Last edited:
Soreness from my crash earlier in the week is easing up and I can get about without hobbling.

Sunny commute in and even had a fellow biker travelling in the same directions, most unusual for my neck of the woods. He would fall behind for 5-10 minutes at a time then reappear behind me as I was waiting at lights. Presumably he doesn't like hills as much as me. I was getting excited about having a friend for my commute, but then I got stuck at some reds with an induction loop. He jumped them immediately, I waited for 2 cycles of the lights which normally is enough, but today they didn't trigger so I couldn't catch him up and show him the error of his 'RLJ'ing ways'.

Waaa! :cry:

Top Bottom