Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Exile

Disregard my previous concern about being in purgatory, turns out I was just having a good morning yesterday. On the way home a black cab passed me with inches to spare despite having a whole empty lane, and a car pulled out of a side road after totally misjudging my speed. Much muttered swearing followed both events, restoring balance to my universe.

This morning it was just back to being wet and windy. Tried hiding in the drops but even that wasn't enough to keep me from being battered by a constant headwind. Horrible. Still, at least it's the weekend tomorrow, and only two more commuting days this year after that!

apb

Veteran
Had the work Christmas party last night. I feel really terrible. i made it the 6 miles to work, barely.

time to book a meeting room and fall asleep.

Ganymede

Veteran
I was run off the road by a semi hauling a tandem, HGV with double trailer. The SOB did it purposefully. He gave me the cyclist should ride on the shoulder BS, and that he gave me lots of room when passing. I try not to react to this stuff, but this was very close with a very big vehicle.
Horrible. I was going to "like" your post but that seemed inappropriate...

markharry66

Über Member
Dangerous drive in this morning lots of Nobbers about. One had no lights on pulled out from right and decided to push me into the kerb without realising I was there. The proceeded to add insult to injury by trying to over take on a traffic island what a nobber. Rest of ride in normal close over takes, buses being dickheads. Just glad to be alive.

andyfraser

Über Member
I had a dustcart try to overtake at the top of a downhill section. He seemed to take ages to actually get passed but wasn't going to back down, even when there was traffic coming from the opposite direction. I ended up slowing down so he could get passed at which point he pulled over right in front of me. What really annoyed me was by the time we were half way down the slope I was doing 30 and catching him up!

iggibizzle

Get that all the time with cars. Can hear the engine being thrashed to try overtake me, then immediately signal left to turn up a road or park up kerb. Idiots.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Tough ride in this morning. 3 trips back in the house, once as I forgot to put the bins out, once to drop a layer and once because the zip on my saddle bag decided to fail. Didn't give me the best of starts, then into a westerly wind made it a bit of a grind. 4 days left of riding in 2014, had a pretty lousy December mileage wise compared to all other months too.

Best ride in for months today
Tail wind all the way, saved 10 mins and only 1 red light to stop at

And it's Friday!!'

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
A veritable cluster of morons this morning. Young lass overtaking me into the path of oncoming, alarmed, braking, hooting traffic, who turned out to have her phone in her lap and an enormous coffee in one hand. Bless !

Then Captain Stupid texting merrily away whilst pulling away from the lights.

Joy to the world...

andyfraser

Über Member
Get that all the time with cars. Can hear the engine being thrashed to try overtake me, then immediately signal left to turn up a road or park up kerb. Idiots.
I had one drop back for the first time a couple of weeks ago. He got along side on a fast, fairly blind and bendy bit of road and was probably surprised to find a car coming straight at him!

fimm

Veteran
Chap pulled out of a side road to turn right, close in front of me this morning. Granted I was flogging into a headwind so didn't actually have to slow down for him, but he had to rev and push it to get out. I looked over my shoulder and there was nothing behind me, he'd have had plenty of time to get out. Woman at the side of the road gave me that circular motion by the side of her head (I hadn't see it ofr years). I assume she was commenting on his driving and not my choice to cycle!

Top Bottom