Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Got to the cycle parking in the car park and the outside door wouldn't open. Tried the handle a few times, then the door was opened from inside. Greeted by two security guards. Apparently the megnetic lock had failed and some thieves had been in and nicked a couple of bikes, one a new £600 Norco hybrid. They had cut through the padlock on a cheap(ish) chain. Those with good locks still had their bikes, good job as there was my bike and a colleagues £2.5k Willier Gran Tourismo. Will send email reminders around tomorrow about using decent locks.

Very wet on the way home. Blasted past quite a few other cyclists on the Fallowfield Loop - it was hissing down and unless you had good lights, you weren't going anywhere fast.

Anyway, smugness soon faded - rear tyre went flat at the same point as last week - again glass from around Sainsburys in studentville Fallowfield.

Limped off the loop to find some light. Got out a brand new conti tube and undid the valve dust cap - out fell the valve core. Argh. Managed to get it back in and tight (should have swapped tube at this point). Out with the gas. Tyre up, unscrew gas, bang, out came the core. Now stuck in the gas adapter, so couldn't re-use until I had pliers.

Pumped new tube up (by hand oooooh)

Finally home, checked tyre, nasty gash and tube starting to pop through. New tyres needed.

Must say, I am none too impressed with Conti tubes, thats about the second or third where the core has come out or leaked.

I was giving some personalised travel planning advice in London yesterday so never cycled but I got back on the bike today, it was just a gentle commute in the mild (11deg), a bit windy but nothing exciting :-)

Panter

Just call me Chris...
The roads were busy and aggressive this morning for some strange reason, didn't have any problems myself though. Looks as if the good will is yet to arrive in the South Eastern corner!
Annoying headwind but no punctures so it was a good run in :biggrin:

This is why I cycle to work. The lights are green but there's no movement ahead, only break lights. Had to come in the car to deliver some gifts to colleagues and take home a rather bulky secret santa gift. I hope it was worth the drive!

aHNuSvul.jpg

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Approaching work today and there's a green 206 waiting to turn out of a side road on the right. She has been waiting as a pedestrian crosses the side road.

There are no cars in front or behind of me. So she lurches out just as I am passing, and almost into the side of me.

I shouted "hey hey hey" - she then pulled wide of me. I stopped up the road.

She stopped too & wound down her window. I said "Three seconds - that's all it would have taken - wait three seconds and the road is 100% clear behind me."

She apologised, and went for SMIDSY.

I pointed out the light on my bars and the bright yellow hi-vis jacket I was wearing. I asked what more I could do to get seen. Obviously nowt.

I asked her to drive more carefully in future. I thanked her for apologising. She had a nipper in the car and I hope he wasn't too worried. I don't think I was too shouty but I was a bit shook up and a tad annoyed that she'd not bothered looking properly before pulling out. I think she was looking for cars not for bikes and because she didn't see any cars, went ahead. Hopefully she will keep a better lookout next time.

Exile

Starting to think I should've taken the whole week so holiday rather than just Monday and Tuesday. Soaked to the bone (doesn't matter which one, I'm fairly certain they were all wet) and battered by the dictionary definition of a swirling wind.

Ended up holding the lane most of the way to make sure I had the space to stay safe through the worst of the gusts. Interestingly, I got no hassle from motorists for doing this, and whenever I signalled a lane change I was immediately allowed to move across.

Whilst this is nice, it's so completely out of character given my usual experiences I fear I may not have made it home safely last night and am now trapped in some sort of purgatory where every driver is so nice and polite that I no longer have anything to mutter about whilst commuting :blink:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
No work today so no commute :sad:

But I did get up at my normal time and have a 50 mile ride before breakfast ^_^

Origamist

Legendary Member
It was very wet and dismal last night so I bailed at Alderley Edge.

This morning it was mild and rainy but the tailwind was great. Annoyingly, I got a puncture a mile or so from work and limped in for the last few minutes of the journey. Will sort it out at lunchtime...

The commute back will be a chore, but as it's the last of 2014, I'll just have to put my head down...

donnydave

Über Member
Yesterday was the first commute after nearly 3 weeks off due to work travel, morning was ok but ye gods the commute home had me completely destroyed. Very slow back to work again this morning, just got no energy at all

fimm

Veteran
Got the big bike out today. I usually think anything over 1h20 is slow. Today I took 1h35 (admitedly with a bit of a wait at the level crossing). I'm blaming the headwind. Hopefully getting home should be easier.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Oh it was windy today, I haven't looked yet to see how it affected my speed today! Other than getting the tunnel diversion wrong AGAIN! (Joined and then left the main road to avoid tack alley only to find I hadn't! So walked it past the tacks!

Last commute of 2014 though probably not the last time on the bike unless it remains this windy!

young Ed

Veteran
It's Christmas time, drivers are slightly less likely to be not bothered about killing someone.
not at all, i'm only just alive here!
i reckon they see me on my fit commuter and decide i need a better bike for xmas so see if they can write it off for me :smile:

todays commute home was full of pissing off drivers! first one was about 100m from the A road they could overtake on and i was riding about 13mph towards it on the small country back road i was on with said driver behind me and as he couldn't he couldn't overtake me and i couldn't/didn't pull over and off the road into thick mud for him he resorted to tyre hugging and tooting his very loud horn in my ear so that i was tempted to simply stop dead in the road and just stand there in the middle of the road blocking him!

second one was just as i was about to climb this ascent on the A road and after this woman had been stuck behind me for maybe 3 seconds decided to pull out so that her car had the white lines running straight in between the middle of here wheels but didn't overtake as it was a blind corner and then when she did finally overtake she wound down the passenger window and leaned across from the passenger side to shout something about my lights( was running a cheap red flashing led light on the back and one of these on full on the front
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZxaJ1A-BcIFVtbGgXeDE-XpvWe--7NB6esjlCqf5LnGyWYN2sGQ.jpg
) both working and the front one angled down at the ground maybe 5-10m ahead of me
don't think the rear one was obscured by saddle or front battery pack

so all i can think she was saying shouting was 'nice lights, where do you get them?'! :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom