Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
My commute today had all the good points:
  • mostly well-behaved motorists;
  • moderately-strong tail wind;
  • started off as 28°C, but then about half-way into the commute, dropped down to about 18° in 30 minutes;
  • I had heaps of energy, which I've had all week, thanks to the dietary supplements I started using on Saturday.

BigAl68

Über Member
Thick fog all the way from Bath to Bristol and cold... Not my favourite weather to travel to work in made far worse by the dozen or so Bristol urban cyclists who still think no lights and dressing in black is a good idea as if the cycle path will save you from any collisions. They got worse as there were at least 5 idiots riding on the roads through the city centre also without lights... Rant over

Simontm

Veteran
Can't decide whether that was fun or tiring...

Lovely brisk cool morning but with ice patches around so took a nice steady pace, no pushing it, slow into corners etc. Was fun but tiring to rein myself back a tad for my own good :smile:

Numpty count: 2. One of those "I am going to go out into your lane at your inconvenience because I have to turn and I don't care how long you have to wait" and and Audi that seemed to object to me crossing a junction and making him slightly pull out - he certainly objected when I told him he was holding me up when he couldn't work out the width of his car :laugh:

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Have been in a lot of pain over the last few days, coming from just below my knees, picked it up from running last week and it still hurts now! Thought it may put me out of cycling action but on the bike is potentially the only place of respite. Good job too, it meant that this morning I turned the Garmin over 11'000 miles in 2014, 9600 of which are commuting miles :wahhey:

Origamist

Legendary Member
Chilly, but no ice and a light wind.

Been off the bike for 5 days due to Xmas parties and felt slovenly on the way in. Was also noticing that my bib tights were feeling tighter than usual around the midriff!

John_S

Über Member
Hello,

I’m really sorry if this topic has been covered before either somewhere in this thread already or in another post but following on from a couple of yesterdays post such as from Simontm and confusedcyclist does anyone report their near miss incidents?

If so do they feel that anything useful has come of it and do they use either of the following websites or are there others that could be used?

http://collideosco.pe/

http://www.roadjustice.org.uk/report

Thanks,

John

clid61

Veteran
Got my first left hook in years this morning ! Rolled up to the red lights , 3 cars already there indicating left , so stayed behind third car ( not side of it ) , lights change we all move , car I was behind kept looking over her shoulder at me just checking where I was I going I guess as i was still behind and not at side she gingerly tuned left , thank you . Daft Mare behind swung out overtook me then left hooked me , managed to just clip out and drop bike to floor no damage done thankfully ,just an irrate me !

Ganymede

Veteran
FIrst day back on the bike after my hol. Beautiful day but a slow toil as I felt a bit drained - shouldn't be as I've just spent 6 days skiing hard so should be on top form! But Mr G has had the lurgy and I think I've got a bit too. Still, gorgeous ride, got lots done and waved regally at the cries of "cor, look at that funny bike" from the workmen on the roof at the corner of the lane.

Simontm

Veteran
Hello,

I’m really sorry if this topic has been covered before either somewhere in this thread already or in another post but following on from a couple of yesterdays post such as from Simontm and confusedcyclist does anyone report their near miss incidents?

If so do they feel that anything useful has come of it and do they use either of the following websites or are there others that could be used?

http://collideosco.pe/

http://www.roadjustice.org.uk/report

Thanks,

John
Hi John

I haven't. TBH, apart from a bit of a heart attack moment (!)I haven't had anything too serious and no damage to me or the bike just annoyance.

I did take part in the near-miss survey a couple of months ago that some academic was doing. I commute over two major commuter and school runs so the lack of attention and care are kind-of usual in my experience.

clid61

Veteran
between now and end feb aint going to hammer the commute any more , just going to warm the legs and keep them warm , big hill to climb so plan on spinning it and see how march turns out when I unleash the beast and put the commuter to bed !!!

wisdom

Guru
had my first OFF today, going around a roundabout in the centre of Peterborough, everything was going well, cars waiting etc etc must have hit a patch of oil or something, bike went from under me, hit the road hard and we slid across the road, all I seem to remember is head in helmet hitting road, my first reaction was to look for car behind me, which stopped in good time, then I heard police sirens they just happened to be waiting in traffic to my left, a couple of drivers asked if I was ok, then the police pushed through and asked me if I was ok as I carried bike to side of road, the police asked if I needed medical assistance, after I declined they asked if the bike was ok and if I needed a lift home, I told them I lived 10 miles away and thanks but I was sure they had better things to do than drive me home, and luckily the bike was fine, they said it would be no bother, I thanked them again and that was that ....I was a bit shaken up but more annoyed than anything else...I hurt my leg, wrist but nothing too bad and was glad I continued my cycle home, after 5-10 minutes I was back in to my rhythm,
looking back on it I came out of it better than most, but hope not to do it to often ^_^
Decent coppers there.glad you and the bike are ok

Top Bottom