Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul04

Über Member
Used the road bike for the commute today, so much lighter than the MTB, even got a 3rd fastest on a strava segment on the way to work.

The ride home and I missed the MTB because I had to carry my heavy rucksack,(with all my work clothes in it) normally put it in the panniers.

Only 3 work days left, then finish for Christmas :smile:

Simontm

Veteran
Question of the day: Why do so many drivers think they cannot cross a broken line when overtaking you when patently so many are aware of the law when it comes to parking/driving into cycle lines with the same markings?

Numpty count: About 8 or so lost count but notable were two. One Nissan Micra - now you'd think it's pretty impossible to achieve much with a Micra wouldn't you? Well this fine driver managed to cut me up so much that I had to slam the brakes on to prevent my front wheel getting crunched.

Second one was a repeat of an incident a few months ago. For those who know the area - I was crossing the Purley Way at the Mill Lane/Waddon Road junction. It's a controlled junction with many a car wanting to turn right into Purley Way across my lane.
This Mini driver cut right across my path, luckily I dived towards the ped island so didn't bounce across her bonnet. Not only had she not signalled but she had cut the crossing point and I am still not sure whether she was aware that I was even there. Those with windows down or walking certainly knew I was there!!

MisterStan

Label Required
I witnessed an RLJing cyclist get his comeuppance this morning; he got t-boned by a guy on a scooter, it all seemed to happen in slow motion - promptly stopped all traffic and helped them off the road, gave the scooter guy my contact details in case he wanted to follow it up, but he just seemed more interested in educating the cyclist on what the different coloured lights mean...

Wearing high vis rain coat for first time this morning. Lit up like a Christmas tree too with two rear lights and three forward facing lights. Close passed and left hooked twice in the space of 10 minutes. Just goes to show high-vis is absolutely pointless, the only thing that will make the roads safer is driver education.

Had my first SMIDSY incident on Friday night too. I was filtering past traffic, acutely aware of a car ahead indicating right to turn into the junction ahead of the bus I was passing. I proceeded with filtering with extreme caution (3 mph tops), as I reached the car I stopped assuming he was waiting to see if I was going to pass before to make the turn. I stopped and waited, gesturing for the driver to move but he remained stationary so I decided to go on. As soon as I entered the gap the driver starts moving right at me and quite fast too. Luckily I had enough about me to put the gas on and put some room between me and the bonnet of the car. I shouted F%@K! quite loudly, down comes the window, "SMIDSY!"

To his credit he did apologies and ask if I was ok but I was fuming about how he couldn't have seen the 3x300 lumen lights and reflective coat. I gave him a good telling off but finished it with no harm done and just be more careful next time. Hopefully he will think to be more observant. Couldn't believe it, the bus driver looked amused which I wasn't impressed about as it could have been nasty.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
To his credit he did apologies and ask if I was ok but I was fuming about how he couldn't have seen the 3x300 lumen lights and reflective coat. I gave him a good telling off but finished it with no harm done and just be more careful next time. Hopefully he will think to be more observant. Couldn't believe it, the bus driver looked amused which I wasn't impressed about as it could have been nasty.

What makes you think certain drivers will notice lights or a yellow jacket? When they ain't looking then nothing you can do will help them see.
He was probably too busy with his ipad, phone, brekkie or shaver. ^_^

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Riding home last Friday, I found a Jaguar X-type doing a 3-point turn on a quiet residential street and I stopped whilst he did so. A Porsche coming the other way pushed past with a beep. The Jag then reversed his car into a parked Volvo 4WD before parking up.

As the driver was just sat in the car I went over & told him he had hit the Volvo. He feigned unawareness.

He got out & inspected the huge dent in his nearside wing and the scratch on the paint and broken plastic on the Volvo, and swore.

He did not know who the Volvo belonged to, and I suggested we knock on some doors to find out who owned the Volvo. He told me not to bother and went into one of the neighbouring properties.

Something seemed wrong. I stayed around & took his registration number. He came out of the house with 2 elderly folks, bundled them into his car & drove off !

I started door knocking and got hold of the Volvo owner who was visiting her parents. Her Dad seemed to know who the Jag driver was but they were thankful for my assistance and I left contact details in case I am needed as a witness.

Perhaps the people the Jag driver picked up knew whose car it was, or perhaps he just thought he would drive off and get away with it. I may never know...

clf

Back on the bike after a week off with the flu and bad weather

Sr5HomU.jpg

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Riding home last Friday, I found a Jaguar X-type doing a 3-point turn on a quiet residential street and I stopped whilst he did so. A Porsche coming the other way pushed past with a beep. The Jag then reversed his car into a parked Volvo 4WD before parking up.

As the driver was just sat in the car I went over & told him he had hit the Volvo. He feigned unawareness.

He got out & inspected the huge dent in his nearside wing and the scratch on the paint and broken plastic on the Volvo, and swore.

He did not know who the Volvo belonged to, and I suggested we knock on some doors to find out who owned the Volvo. He told me not to bother and went into one of the neighbouring properties.

Something seemed wrong. I stayed around & took his registration number. He came out of the house with 2 elderly folks, bundled them into his car & drove off !

I started door knocking and got hold of the Volvo owner who was visiting her parents. Her Dad seemed to know who the Jag driver was but they were thankful for my assistance and I left contact details in case I am needed as a witness.

Perhaps the people the Jag driver picked up knew whose car it was, or perhaps he just thought he would drive off and get away with it. I may never know...
A friend and I once watched as someone reversed into a car, he saw us looking and so wrote on a piece of paper and tucked it under the screen, then drove off. We looked at the peice of paper and all it said was sorry I slightly nudged your car! So we added the reg number and where it had parked in the neighbouring road.

Last edited:

paul04

Über Member
I was out 6.30 this morning, as I had a busy day at work, quiet on the roads and dry (ish)
The ride home and it had been raining, and no waterproof trousers, so wet backside, as the road bike has no mudguards. (the commute bike died last week with a un repairable rear wheel+hub)

only 2 work days left now to do my 100% commute this year :smile:

Simontm

Veteran
One last day of com uniting coming up and I hope it's better than today.
Numpty count: 2 (main). On Malden Road, some muppet was just sitting there demanding to be let out blocking traffic and turning into South Road, an idiot decided that priority to the right doesn't apply :cursing:

The weird thing was a queue at the Worcester Park station lights and there was no one in the car holding up the traffic :wacko:

Top Bottom