Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
A ride dedicated to Steve Abraham tonight. I left work late and had planned to do 19 miles but knew if I did my normal route I would be late home so decided to cut it short.

However, when I got into Abbey Park it was virtually empty so decided to do a few laps around the small loop (0.45 miles) in the park and then head roughly straight home. After doing a couple of laps I saw my average speed was much higher than normal, so decided to honour Mr Abraham and ended doing 30 laps, at 17 miles I headed straight home and finished on just over 21 miles. Even more kudos to Steve for doing the miles he has around MK bowl, doing loops may improve my average speed but boy are they boring.

Last commute for probably 3 weeks, cortisone injection tomorrow for tennis elbow then physio etc to sort it out and rest my still knackered back and wrist. It was fitting that it was a tailwind and no numpteys at all. So me and the turbo will have to strike up our friendship yet again. I am weird though I actually enjoy sufferfest videos.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Aprils stats are in. My longest and quickest month I've ever ridden since starting in 2011 @ 1425 miles in 70 hours 25 minutes.

Second wet morning in a row this morning meant the guarded hack came out and jeez it felt heavy. I was planning on riding out with a local group tonight but it never materialised, so have planned a few extra miles in the morning to compensate. So, the month's counter gets set to zero and we all go again for May
:bicycle::bicycle::bicycle::bicycle::bicycle: nnneeeeooooooooowwwwwwwwww........

Origamist

Legendary Member
And it was :cold:

Did my first single-speed commute this morning, was a lot easier than expected, the only hill I was a bit worried about I managed to climb without even leaving the saddle so am now happy ^_^
Bit downhill on the way home so there might be some freewheeling going on :bicycle:

Good to hear you're back on the (new) bike, Potsy! I was worried you were going to get a Segway for the commute...

Cool but not as cold as I thought this morning. In fact, it was glorious - sun shining all the way in. Bit of a cross/headwind, but not too strong. Legs didn't feel too heavy, so might add a couple of miles on tonight.

Then the issue is what's for tea: fish and chips, Chinese take-away or an Indian take away! Decisions, decisions!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
The wind had turned around and I had a nice tailwind for the journey back. Dry too. Decided to add a couple of miles onto the commute as well.

Tmrw looks chilly to start...

Was cold in Leicester, but wasn't as windy as they said (useless BBC) and was sunny so I kicked May off with a 50 miler to work. I reckon I could have got away with no lights from the off this morning, give it a few more weeks and I definitely won't need them.

MisterStan

Label Required
Despite the headwind last night, I chucked in an extra 6 miles including the nearest thing we have to hills in the Fens.

This morning was pleasant enough, cooler than yesterday but got the layers just about right again. Caught a guy on the Busway at Longstanton, we took it in turns into Cambridge, where I left him as I took to the road and he stayed on a cycle path. I became aware of him again about half a mile later as he sat on my wheel, I dropped him off at McDonalds and carried on to work. Nice steel framed bike with modern components on it.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I was cycling home, with my 2½ year old daughter in her seat, asleep.
She dropped her beloved teddy bear.
The passenger of an overtaking vehicle wound the window down to tell me. I stopped to turn around.
Then a following vehicle slowed so the passenger could tell me that the cyclist behind had picked it up.

So if that cyclist is a member here - thanks!

Faith in human nature restored.

MisterStan

Label Required
I was cycling home, with my 2½ year old daughter in her seat, asleep.
She dropped her beloved teddy bear.
The passenger of an overtaking vehicle wound the window down to tell me. I stopped to turn around.
Then a following vehicle slowed so the passenger could tell me that the cyclist behind had picked it up.

So if that cyclist is a member here - thanks!

Faith in human nature restored.
There's a lesson to be learnt here about looking after your belongings and your daughter will not learn that lesson, due to 'the kindness of strangers' :okay:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Seemed to be too many close passes riding in today. I'm wondering if I was over sensitive as the chest discomfort has been particularly bad over the last few days (occasionally it even rated as 'pain' but only just) including getting ready to get out this morning and made me think about mortality more. But most likely I just caught a bad case of nobbers on the road.

Top Bottom