Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Came in a totally different route today after being dropped off in Leamington to see my Mum and the ride in was superb. Felt about 3 miles shorter but was actually a mile longer. Would love to do that route every rather than the road of death. Just need that lottery win to move back to Leamington.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Got to love nice people at times like that. Will you rig Teddy his own little seat belt just in case it happens again?

I usually tuck teddy's head under the same strap on my daughter's seat, which works fine - when I remember.

Ollie W

Cycling pls
Just thought I'd pop in and say hi. Am still cycling since having my lovely CX nicked last year, but I'm now on this thing which I've affectionately named Rusty:

1374747_10204963485439606_556718025187045027_n.jpg

Single speed, back pedal brake, nowhere near 700c tyres. Top speed about 10 mph unless I'm going downhill. Inherited from my father in law. Apart from a couple of chain issues coming up the hill past the Mayflower theatre it's been ok, even if I can't push it too hard (despite trying to on the way home today!). It does the job and gets me from A to B. And most importantly it doesn't appeal to thieves...

Still hope I can save up for a road bike though!

Simontm

Veteran
Windy, damp ride in. Not too bad with the drivers. Did I say it was windy? Actually had two ladies cycling my way on the first half of my route which was unusual.
Am slightly ashamed of myself though. As I stopped at the junction of Wallington-Hackbridge/Carshalton-Croydon, some idiot not only went past the ASZ but also the lights themselves before finally stopping - I presumed he realised that those big metal things could seriously hurt him. Well, couldn't resist could I and burned him off the lights and kept a steady 20mph until I reached Church lane to turn off...just as well cos I reckon he would have taken me up the rise past the lights ;):laugh:
Must remember to resist those urges, am a father and a grown man!!!!

Numpty count: 0

Nocode

The heavy rain that was forecast during my commute never materialised. It stopped just as I was leaving the house, but of course that didn't stop me being completely over-dressed just in case it poured down later on. Also about a 1/3 of a way into my ride I developed cramps in my left quad, which then later started in my right. Couldn't put down any power on the bike without being in a pain so just had to nurse it and trundle into work. No idea why the cramps happened, took 3 days off cycling over the weekend and perhaps was a little dehydrated yesterday. Ho hum.

apb

Veteran
it was wet this morning and i had full waterproofs, but because there was no head wind i found it quite a pleasant cycle in.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
like my neighbour @Nocode , it had stopped raining by the time I left home. The temperature gauge was reading 13.5degs. Nice and mild so I went with shorts and ss shirt. If it was going to rain it wasn't going to be cold. It didn't rain. but the blustery winds making things a little harder. The roads soon dried out though which made for quite a quick commute.

Had a little bit of SCR with a chap on a Ribble with the loudest freehub I have ever heard and very deep rimmed wheels. He tried to keep up with me but only caught up at lights and junctions. He also seemed to struggle with his cleats every time he set off. The only time he managed to over take me was by jumping up on the pavement at a junction.. that didn't work as I still over took him. crime doesn't pay sucker.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I did a double-take this morning when the thermometer read a balmy 12C at 07.15. I still opted for a gilet in case the rain came down, but I was not swaddled in super Roubaix as the winter kit and been consigned to an airtight container…. As it was, I remained dry even though the clouds looked a bit foreboding.

Was on the fixed for the first time this year as the commuter needs bar tape/gel (it's due to arrive today) after the transmission overhaul - no more compact! A bit slower, but that’s more because I’m out of the habit of spinning.

Things of note – got a bit of gravel flicked into my face by a passing car – hit my front tooth, but no damage done! A woman in a 4X4 is applying eye make-up as I undertake in the cycle lane and veers towards me, oblivious of my presence. Had a fixed moment when a puddle that I normally freewheel through caught me out…

Last edited:
Top Bottom