Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
After a day climbing telegraph poles and digging in a 20mts of new underground cable in heavy clay soil a headwind on the way home wasn't an ideal way to finish the week off . Very hard slow slog home tonight . But steady spin in low gears got me there 76 commuting miles this week over 3 days

It is amazing how far one can get on a bike with low effort. Didn't ride in the end today....panned out well as I ended up needing to leave early as I felt I was getting a migraine.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Nice ride in on my extended route via Cressage (18 miles). Traffic behaved well and the wind helped more than hindering so I made reasonable time. Going this way I also had advance warning of a closure that starts on monday and lasts at least a fortnight, which would have been very inconvenient to have only found out about once it was in place.

Not so good on the way home: There was a strong and gusty headwind the whole way, it rained and there was a lot of traffic down the lanes for some reason. Some calculating gives me an average speed of 11 mph for this leg of the trip and to be honest I'm surprised I was that fast.:heat:

28.1 miles and 12.8 mph average for the round trip - my slowest for a while.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
After a day climbing telegraph poles and digging in a 20mts of new underground cable in heavy clay soil a headwind on the way home wasn't an ideal way to finish the week off . Very hard slow slog home tonight . But steady spin in low gears got me there 76 commuting miles this week over 3 days

That wind tonight was very strong, anything westerly was really hard work, glad I've got an office job so I can save my energy for the riding. Mind you if I had a physical job I might get as skinny as you (okay maybe not) :laugh:

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Plenty of room but one of the scariest overtakes I've ever had! In case it's not clear in the rain that's a blind bend!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjGuCluAF_E&feature=youtu.be

Tom B

Guru
I was sworn at and told that ncr 6 was not a cycle route, but yet told it had a 5mph limit, by a bloke who claimed to be a policeman and threatened to "lock me up".

Twas different.

biking_fox

Guru
Highlight of this morning's wet ride was watching a bin lorry and a bus drag racing away from the lights. The lorry won. Fortunately in was on the opposite side of the road from me, so I didn't feel endangered.

John_S

Über Member
Had a really close pass this morning on a bit of narrow pretty much single track road. It was also a 20mph zone and they were easily closer to 30mph but the thing that made me laugh/grumble at the time was that they had a "Think Bike, Think Biker" sticker in their back window. Clearly any thinking about Bikers doesn't crossover to extending any courtesy whatsoever to cyclists.

Still despite the close pass this morning the overall commute was much more fun than Friday nights commute home which was not fun with a really strong headwind into driving rain.

L Q

Über Member
Beat the rain this morning and had a lovely tailwind for 10 miles or so.

Rain should have cleared by home time and I am hoping the wind dies as well.

Had the closest pass this morning since I got back on the back 2 years ago. VW Golf, wasn't impressed as there was no one coming the other side of the road and everyone else gave me plenty of space.

We are getting so close to road bike time here in Canada.
We still have some snow on the ground, but only in areas of shade. We do have lots of ground water that in certain areas has spilled over from the fields on to the road. All of the grit from the winter has not been removed leaving the roads treacherous for slicks.

But we are so close to good weather that people don't care they where out on motorbikes over the weekend.

Today the temperature dipped to -8 so it was a cyclocross morning but the aluminium road bike will be out by the end of the week. (we could still get a huge dump of snow but that's not going to happen)

Top Bottom