Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fingerless gloves and short sleeve shirt time then @hennbell :okay:
Close
I am down to non insulated full finger gloves, bib tights, long sleeve jersey and wind proof jacket.
Until last week lobster claw gloves, undershirt, long sleeve jersey, insulated jacket, bib shorts with wind proof trousers on top of them.

Many days I must look like Bibendum
upload_2017-3-20_15-21-36.png

Tom B

Guru
Close
I am down to non insulated full finger gloves, bib tights, long sleeve jersey and wind proof jacket.
Until last week lobster claw gloves, undershirt, long sleeve jersey, insulated jacket, bib shorts with wind proof trousers on top of them.

Many days I must look like Bibendum View attachment 343389

I feel well 'ard I've been gloveless for a week now! Though it was initially due to a lack of dry gloves.

I'm still wearing long bibs or tights and a couple of tee-shirts. I did try shorts but found my feet just got wetter as the water ran down my legs quicker.

subaqua

What’s the point
Bright blue skies , but a bit nippy . A bit of muppetry from 2 riders today. A woman on a Mixte type bike just dropped off pavement into road nearly wiping out a guy on an ebike. Turns out she has earphones in and is oblivious to any dangers. Including going up the inside of lorries and buses . Guy on the e-bike wasn't much better either. Kept well back.

Apart from that lovely ride in.

Sixmile

Veteran
Cold.

Recently I've went from my fleecy buff, lobster gloves and skull cap to a light buff, thin full fingers and cycling cap but my goodness, I should've reverted to the winter gear this morning. Last week gave a wee glimpse of spring but it's not time to remove all the layers just yet!

Killiekevin

Strange thing happened to me this morning, normally cycle from my house to work which is around 30 miles. As the snow was forecast I thought I would get the train part of the way to shorten the distance. Came out the station and hopped on bike bit couldn't clip into my pedals. Looked at the cleats and the slush had frozen on my cleat which prevented me from clipping in. I then used a key to scrape it off but then the other foot suffered the same fate. It took me ages to work out what the hell to do as everyone I fixed one cleat the other was 'clogged up' God knows what people must have thought watching me

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Cycling Gods shined down on me tonight. Got to a point on the ride home: go left and 4 miles from home, go right and 18 miles from home. Look right and there is one of those really dark rain clouds were you can see the rain coming down from it.

I go right :unsure:. It starts to rain and I'm thinking of stopping under a motorway bridge to get some wet gear on when I notice I am on the edge of the cloud and it is being blown away from me. Sod it, I carried on and within minutes the rain stopped and ten minutes later with the help of the wind I am bone dry.

I spent the rest of the ride chasing dark rain clouds and not catching one :laugh:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I got hit by a hail cloudburst just as I left work. Managed to find shelter whilst waiting for it to pass.

Had a fun bit of SCR tonight too. Chap kept me honest but his traffic skills were zero so I managed to pull away and he couldn't manage to close the gap. Thank gawd he turned off as I thought my lungs were going to burst from my chest Alien style whilst screaming 'give it a rest you friggin donut!'

First time today that someone overtaking me on a 2 lane bit of road has been overtaken at the same time. Was one hell of scary moment as i got pushed into the gutter and the two cars nearly hit each other. Other than that, a 36 mile ride at an average of 19.1mph. Fastest commute home this year.

2 numpties this morning.

Going through Navestock a woman overtook me in a small silver car, then when I got around the corner I found her stopped in the road getting out of her car. She did not look like she was an angry motorist so wondered if she had broken down so I stopped to enquire. No she had seen 2 parrots in a tree and wanted to take a photo. Not a brilliant idea in the rush hour just around a bend.
Then in Hornchurch I spotted a middle aged guy stood on the pavement obviously waiting for a gap in traffic to guide his missus backing her car out. He managed to wave her out right in front of me. I had to stop of course I had no option, so I enquired about how good his eyesight was, he was not too pleased at this. Turns out in his eyes cyclists don’t count as traffic so we had a frank exchange of views. His missus apologised on his behalf though.

prawny

Horrible soaking wet headwind for 20 miles ride in today. Made all the worse by me nipping to the shop in the car to drop a parcel off before I set out.

I love my car, it would have been very easy to just drive to work in it today.

Wife wouldn't have been happy though.

Almost got run over by some ignorant pickup driver, then shouted out the window to "learn how to ride" because I was in primary to turn right (and was about to before he shouted, so caught up to him at the lights and gave him a piece of my mind.

Broke a nail, then went swimming which made it all good :smile:

Ride from the pool to work was uneventful, bar losing energy climbing a hill, to treat myself to a fresh and warm almond croissant :biggrin:

Top Bottom