Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
On the way home, getting a bit damp but okay - 'til some b*****d in a passing car decided 'Let's soak that stupid cyclist as we pass by driving through this ginormous puddle at speed.'
And I was on the inside edge of a two metre wide cycle path. NOT impressed - ! :cursing:

dhd.evans

Veteran
Brilliant driver this morning - obviously didn't look right to see if anything was coming. I was spinning at about 30mph coming off a hill so had to think fast.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So all the weather apps and the lady on the BBC news last night predicted that the heavy rains that blighted us yesterday would continue into this morning. At about 6.30am this morning the rains abated and decided to stay away for when I left home for work at about 7.30am. So what I thought would be another completely wet ride turned into a completely dry pleasant ride. Very little wind and the traffic played nice.
I did clean the bike last night after it getting so very wet and mucky. The damp roads today meant it's mucky again so another clean beckons tonight.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
No rain here even though it was predicted. Think i'm gonna get a skinful on the way home though.
Nice and pleasant commute this morning. Very mild, near muggy in fact and no wind. Traffic all behaving themselves too.

On the way home last night I'm sure I heard someone call out my name, caught a quick glimpse but couldn't work out who it was...

wasn't me.

subaqua

What’s the point
Same as Ian except I left at 06.45 . Missed the rain in ride to Paddington and again at slough .

Just got the return journey done to slough station and missed it again.

Hope ride from Paddington is good

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Headwind in on a slightly extended 11 mile ride in this morning, which meant a nice quick return this afternoon, again extended a little to 11 miles.

Weather always disappoints

dhd.evans

Veteran
upload_2017-6-29_8-54-6.png

So ride in was wet but tailwind abided. On the way home i've got more rain but there is a Strava segment that matches this 'fresh breeze' perfectly and i will take the KOM:

upload_2017-6-29_8-56-46.png

Ciar

Veteran
Easy ride in on the new bike, now i also have brakes that work! had the calipers replaced with some avid's and the difference is amazing, from full hard pulling levels to bar, now it's a two finger gentle tug :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Another great commute home this evening. Nice and dry with no wind. The traffic played nice too.
I came across one of the fastest cycle commuters I have had the fortune to ride with in a long time. He was riding a Bowman with a really lovely paint job of which I told him so. He also complimented my bike as he also rides a Carbon PX. Boy he was quick. I was on the rivet trying to keep up with him. Think he could have gone much faster too. Though I was double panniered up. That's my excuse for puffing through my ears trying to keep up with him. Grateful he turned off a mile up the road so I could ease back a bit. It what makes cycle commuting awesome fun sometimes.

dhd.evans

Veteran
I got the tailwind as was promised so headed out to try and take a Strava segment:

upload_2017-6-30_8-40-25.png

Got the second place so i'm reasonably happy with it. Unfortunately i hit the end of the road too quickly and tried to curve round a RAB at 25mph on slicks in the wet...

It ended exactly as you'd expect. I'm covered in road rash on my right hand side and have a suitably bruised pride. There was another victim in my unceremonious dismount:

upload_2017-6-30_8-41-51.png

Yes, that's my right shifter literally snapped in two.

Anyone got a spare Shimano 5800 11-speed RH shifter? :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Am loving these mild, windless morning commutes to work. Makes for a very pleasant start to the day.
Well it would have been hadn't the stupid woman in a 4x4 decided to overtake then slow left hook me. Luckily my spider senses were tingling and became aware what she was doing. I had to turn into the road she was turning into to avoid a collision. She got a smack on her passenger door for her trouble. Even an old lady standing and watching at the side of the road said 'what an idiot'.

Top Bottom