Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I got the tailwind as was promised so headed out to try and take a Strava segment:

View attachment 359560

Got the second place so i'm reasonably happy with it. Unfortunately i hit the end of the road too quickly and tried to curve round a RAB at 25mph on slicks in the wet...

It ended exactly as you'd expect. I'm covered in road rash on my right hand side and have a suitably bruised pride. There was another victim in my unceremonious dismount:

View attachment 359561

Yes, that's my right shifter literally snapped in two.

Anyone got a spare Shimano 5800 11-speed RH shifter? :smile:

Oh tits !

That was rather unfortunate. Hope you heal quickly (and get a new shifter too!)

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Am loving these mild, windless morning commutes to work. Makes for a very pleasant start to the day.
Well it would have been hadn't the stupid woman in a 4x4 decided to overtake then slow left hook me. Luckily my spider senses were tingling and became aware what she was doing. I had to turn into the road she was turning into to avoid a collision. She got a smack on her passenger door for her trouble. Even an old lady standing and watching at the side of the road said 'what an idiot'.

A hearty whack of the door in self defence is always a good idea as she clearly forgot about you. Well done for avoiding certain calamity.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
A beautiful fresh bright ride to a business breakfast meeting, leaving home at 6.30 today.

I am sorry now that I did not stop to get a picture of the beautiful dun horse facing the risen sun, as the night's rain steamed gently off the grass around it.

A momentary glance to my left and the image of the day is in my mind's eye.

L Q

Über Member
Well last nights ride home was bloody awful, a heavy drizzle all the way home, 22 miles of it, peeled off my clothes when I got home!

This mornings ride just felt like a late autumn day, cold and dark.

What a difference from a week ago!

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
bloody Critical Mass making themselves a Critical Mass Annoyance on the roads again on my way home... yobs doing wheelies, loud music and annoying other road users, Bringing the city to a standstill. The police wont do anything against them because there are too many of them.

To think Critical Mass started off as something to celebrate cycling. Now its just yobs and louts making a nuisance on the roads...

There are better ways and places to celebrate cycling without annoying all those around you who just want to get home.

Managed to get into the mix of a staggered start sportive/audax thinghy this morning.....

Managed to catch some and scalp them with a rucksack on my back

(Okay not sure how long they'd been going but I was towards the end of a 15 mile extended commute)

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Thought I was in danger this morning - an HGV had to brake sharply behind me as his overtaking lane was suddenly stolen by a Transit van pulling into it from our right.

Reviewing the video he pulled right out and gave me lots of space, but had to brake very sharply not to collide with the back of the van. Very grateful he was attentive & considerate and chose to risk hitting the van rather than me.

I caught up with the Transit driver and asked him not to do that again. He said the HGV should have been indicating but as he drives that road every day the transit driver really should have known better.

Not helped at all by the silly paint on the road of course.
silver transit.jpg

Sixmile

Veteran
Left the house a lot later this morning, everyone had a wee lie in since it's the first day off of school for the kids. Got ready and left and had a very pleasurable commute in. Very little traffic, breezed through almost all of the junctions and rolled into work into a steaming hot shower. Mondays eh!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Tucked in behind this guy on the way home tonight. Gave me a nice tow for a bit, but had to work for it. As fast as these things are, they arent that great in traffic. I easily got ahead and away whilst he was toying with backed up traffic.
He did tell me his name last time we had a chat but mind sieve here has forgotten.
He'll also be doing LEL in this lovely machine
bent.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Tucked in behind this guy on the way home tonight. Gave me a nice tow for a bit, but had to work for it. As fast as these things are, they arent that great in traffic. I easily got ahead and away whilst he was toying with backed up traffic.
He did tell me his name last time we had a chat but mind sieve here has forgotten.
He'll also be doing LEL in this lovely machine
View attachment 360264
Nice - what was the ground clearance on it? Probably get stuck on the first speed hump on my commute!

Top Bottom