Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bumped into, or more to the fact, he over took me this evening on the A21. Mr @iLB
20170705_175013.jpg

He's a quick lad these days.. he managed to get through a junction just as the lights were changing. I didn't, so thought, that's it, he's away. But bless him he was waiting for me a bit further up the road. Which meant one thing... he was going to tow me up the Col de Bromley.
I managed to stick on his wheel for 3/4's of the mile long climb but at a junction a car pulled out, he went round the back but I missed the chance and the elastic snapped. I cought up with him again at Bromley North where the pic was taken.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Chanced it taking my cube out to the local LBS near my place of work for a last minute tune up before the DD as thundery showers were forecast. I was either going to catch a soaking on the way into work this morning or around 7pm when the skies just seemed to completely cloud up with a massive dull grey rain cloud.

Expecting a heavy but brief downpour, I crossed my fingers and the heavens smiled upon me, The skies cleared and the sun came back out for its last hurrah, Lighting my commute home.

I had a lady on a heavy dutch bike go faster then me..... Then I had the slight feeling that I had a wheel sucker and low and behold he was behind me. I pulled him for a good mile or two. The RoubaixCube Express isnt exactly the fastest train in the lineup, I guess he wasnt in a hurry.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Got the bike back from the LBS with indexed gears and new cables. Rode it home last night. It's been a week of off and on the bike because of repairs and last night i was reminded how much i love riding by a) being home in under 25mins (as opposed to 45mins on the bus) and b) that feeling of flying under my own steam.

MichaelO

Veteran
Enforced train today. Managed to hit a stone (I think) coming down Rectory Lane near Chipstead and split both tyres. Brown short moment trying to stop from 30/35mph with a car behind me!! Off to buy two new tyres at lunchtime!

Sixmile

Veteran
Hit the deck last night on the way back from work after stopping to help a fellow biker with a mechanical. We took his route home (which I normally wouldn't do on a road bike) but on a bend under some tree covering my back wheel slid from under me. Hobbled home the last 10 mile or so but thankfully the bike seems to have survived bar a few new scuffs.

IMG-20170706-WA0004.jpeg
IMG_20170706_193503475.jpg

Managed to commute today but on getting home, I've found a true wheel with a loose spoke. :-( Also worries me that the rear wheel isnt spinning freely but I can't see what's stopping it.....Might need a trip to the bike shop.

I mean it's free but stopping a lot quicker than the front one. Maybe it's me!

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Really, really soggy ride in today. And I'd taken the mudguards off yesterday trying to locate an annoying rattle. I'd rather have the rattle than the wet arse to be frank.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Pleasant ride this morning although suffering from some lingering knee discomfort from my fall last week. Endurance squats haven't helped it settle either.

Met a WVM Council Worker this morning who just couldn't tear himself away from his mobile phone:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Back to the GT this morning - with the big motor-cross style mudguards on.

A bit out of place on the road - but keeps my face and bottom dry

Funnily enough, I don't use them off-road

Top Bottom