Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well, the rain is here so a nice wet commute home, And it doesn't let up for tomorrow mornings ride in either.

upload_2017-7-11_17-15-33.png

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Wet on the way home. Very wet, actually, once I got past Sydenham.

Cyclist down, too, at the roundabout by the Chinese Garage at Park Langley. I didn't see what happened to him but he was being helped to his feet by his riding buddy, while a lady in late middle age repeatedly said how really sorry she was, before launching into some SMIDSY-type excuses.

Hope he's OK. I didn't hang about as his mate was there to help him and I didn't see what happened so there was no point in my sticking my oar in. Plus, I still had another mile to go and I was soaked.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I am presently commuting by a junker fixie when the roads are dry, and still have a lot to learn. Riding in, the saddle tilted upwards, which was a pain. On a 15 minute lunch dash to collect a present my rear tube popped making my lunch a bunch longer... and on the way home there is some nuance I need to learn regarding turning whilst applying power - I pinched my left :excl: against the cruddy saddle and only kept cycling as I was on a busy shopping road.
Still enjoying the mechanics of fixies, if not this particular day and bike.

What a night to extend my commute to Chesterfield to buy a car (only for occasional use honest!)
Bloke was bemused by this drowned rat with a bicycle helmet ringing his doorbell.

Funny how people's perceptions of cycling are...he kept saying how he couldn't believe I'd cycled all the way from Sheffield....it's only 15 miles from my work and it's downhill after the Derbyshire border - you'd think I'd just completed LEL

But it was wet. Very wet.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Got wet,Still enjoyed it though.Got a puncture right outside the door at home...First in1600 miles riding,1100 miles on this bike.Allready had a new tyre ready to go on as the stock tyre was well squared off...need to invest in a second set of shoes too I think,wet shoes first thing in the morning doesnt sound too appealing

13 rider

Guru
Got wet,Still enjoyed it though.Got a puncture right outside the door at home...First in1600 miles riding,1100 miles on this bike.Allready had a new tyre ready to go on as the stock tyre was well squared off...need to invest in a second set of shoes too I think,wet shoes first thing in the morning doesnt sound too appealing
Fill the shoes with crunched up newspaper overnight .

dhd.evans

Veteran
P* fairy visited halfway through my ride; realised i hadn't packed either a tube or pump this morning. Dumbass. Managed to ride awkwardly and slowly for the next 3 miles into work. Will get a new tube at lunch...

rivers

How far can I go?
I rode my new bike into work for the first time today. My commute was slightly shorter than normal today as we had to pet-sit last night so I was 3 miles closer to work. I'm doing a long-ish ride tonight, so kept it gentle, and what I thought was slow, but I apparently made good progress, even with a headwind. The new ride is quite nippy, even with shite tyres...

Heigue'r

Veteran
Bike stayed at home today.commuted by car and tube.Got home an hour later than I would on the bike due to A13 closure and cost £15 for the privelege. (Diesel used+tube fare)
Back on the bike tomorrow wind,rain,hail or shine

DrLex

merely the moocher
Mollusc slalom this morning - a damp section of a back lane had a couple of dozen snails in one place. Not quite the carpet of red crabs on Christmas Island, but a novelty on the commute.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Was 1600 miles flat free..one the other eve on the rear,tyre was shot so new one,this morning hit a pothole that instantly deflated the front and bent the rim in slightly,not a kink so once I got to work I loosened off a couple of spokes and it relieved it a bit.not perfect but will do.Still beter than getting the tube i

atalanta

Commute itself was gorgeous, but imagine my surprise when I stepped out of the shower at work and discover I hadn't packed any clean undercrackers to wear under me work clothes...:eek:

Top Bottom