Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well that was very lucky. The weather report is for a foul wet commute this morning. But the route in was dry, even with a bit of sun. Turned the corner into my place of work's road and the heaven's opened. Got in through the door just before the heavy rain came down. Not looking great for the return home later during the day though.

si_c

Guru
Another flaming cockwomble on the way in today. Decided to honk me whilst close passing with his wife pointing at the adjacent shared use path. Only to stop at the red light 100m further up. Pulled up beside him and informed him that I had every right to use the road, but the nob kept pointing at me and pointing at the path, so I told him what I thought of him, as I hadn't had breakfast and was already in a poor mood. made myself feel better by slipping in front of him and having problems clipping in and getting moving. And doing it again at the next lights.

Childish perhaps, but he really pissed me off.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I got wet three times yesterday and again this morning. Dinner time commute today was dry though and it's looking brighter for the home leg. Winds picked up again though.

Simontm

Veteran
Morning took the CS7 route to Clapham. Fast but lethal route with a fair few cyclists gunning it and tons of unobservant drivers. One fella was coasting it on an electric bike then cycling whenever someone overtook him so he could pass again, I finally shook him off on the Balham climb. The rain was drizzley but a note on what was to come.
Afternoon took me onto the Kings Road for the 15 mile backstroke. Urgh, that was wet. To much traffic meant I couldn't really get much pace up till around Parson Green and the occasional swimming pool appearance meant some care was needed. Over Putney Bridge, bizarrely my best time up Priory, through the park then home to pour the water out of my shoes!
Numpty count: 0

On the commute this morning I got stuck on a large pedestrian traffic island with a tramp/vagrant bloke with all his wordly possesions strapped to a old full sus MTB. He looked my bike up and down and remarked on my bike, apologising for the state of his. I was struck that he was a obviously articulate inteligent guy and chatted to him for a while, missing a change of the lights. I cycled on thinking what had happpened in his life for him to end up like this.
On the way home Í ran into a muppet, cycling one handed with a umbrella not in control at all in the wind.
Capture bike+umbrella.PNG

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That was one of the heaviest rainfall's I can ever remember cycling in on a commute. It was beyond torrential. At points near impossible to see. There was also a huge amount of standing water on the road. Divvy bowlacks me, forgot my rain jacket so just ss jersey for the ride home. Luckily it wasn't cold, even with the rain. It also helped that I was pushed home by a very welcoming northwind which made for rapid progress.

Not a bad commute really lol.. in fact quite enjoyable in a silly masochistic way.

The bike is now all dry, cleaned and re-lubed ready for tomorrows supposedly dry commute.

Simontm

Veteran
Is
[QUOTE 4912462, member: 1314"]Torrential rain as I cycled towards the Hook RDB from, erm, Hook, heading towards Surbiton. It's a narrow three lane affair with slip roads on and off the A3 squeezing everyone in. All the drivers ride fast, spray all over the place. I've taken this RDB on numerous occasions but on this occasion I decided there was too much chance of just not being seen. It is difficult to look allovers at this place when dry and clear, let alone when there's heavy rain pounding on windscreens.

Took the quieter side roads through instead.[/QUOTE]
isnt Hook Road still shut?

dhd.evans

Veteran
Got out for a 16mi TT at lunch so took it easy on the ride home. Today's cockwomble sponsored by Ford:

The absolute spanner blew past within inches of me, and then gives me all sorts of interesting hand gestures when I indicated that he might do better to be a more considerate driver.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
After yesterday evenings commute home through almost biblical conditions. The weather report for this morning was showing as dry. I woke up to rain pounding on the Velux. Oh well I though, that was a waste of time cleaning the bike last night. Got up, did my usual faffing about and sat in the conservatory waiting for the rain to pass. It was also a bit nippy out there. The thermometer only showing 11°. So on with the windcheater.
The rain abated so it was time to hit the road. There was a fine mizzle in the air but not too wet. I thought there would be loads of standing water and puddles but once again it wasn't too bad. It ended up turning dry and being a very fine commute.
It's looking dry for the return home thank gawd, and for tomorrow too.
A distinct lack of other cycle commuters today though. The wet has scared them off I guess.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Quiet commute this morning - although I had to leave earlier today

Spoiled only by nearest close pass I have ever encountered, by some cockwomble in a silver Merc MPV

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Sunny, slightly breezy and nippy but its dry! I still don't have a good light windproof jacket after spending a few hours looking :sad: might pick up an endura pakajaket II or whatever its called from cyclesurgery near work today

rivers

How far can I go?
Bit of a difficult commute this morning as I went on a fast ride last night (that included taking 3 minutes and 26 seconds off of a fairly long climb), so my legs weren't too happy. Overall, a nice commute, but I did have to put my arm warmers on this morning.

hoppym27

I have to say after only owning a bike for 3 weeks now commuting to work for me a couple of times a week is outstanding!
Instead of the horrendous traffic fighting my way through Manchester to Trafford park in the car, Im going down a scenic traffic free cycle way then on to the canal towpath...its at least 10 minutes quicker and the only traffic I have to look out for is the odd flock of canada geese and the occasional heron!

Leaway2

Lycrist
I have to say after only owning a bike for 3 weeks now commuting to work for me a couple of times a week is outstanding!
Instead of the horrendous traffic fighting my way through Manchester to Trafford park in the car, Im going down a scenic traffic free cycle way then on to the canal towpath...its at least 10 minutes quicker and the only traffic I have to look out for is the odd flock of canada geese and the occasional heron!
Nice one Hoppym27. I often travel from the airport, through Trafford park to Swinton and have encountered our feathered friends waddling across the road with the traffic waiting for them to cross. I have a picture on here somewhere of them on Westinghouse road.
The biggest problem with the cycle routes, is the amount of debris, so I tend not to use them. Cue lots of waving and pointing to the cycle path.

Last edited:
Top Bottom