Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ciar

Veteran
Last night i expected rain and lots of it, boy did it disappoint, not one drop on the ride home!

This morning just was headwind tastic, felt like i did a 9 mile spinning class :crazy:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Got taken out by some prick in a VW Polo this morning who then fled without even stopping to see if I was alright.

Cycling along, minding my own business, matching my speed to traffic which was slowing down for a junction ahead. Polo prick decides to buzz me at speed, clearly hadn't noticed the slower moving traffic ahead, slams on the brakes and skids to a stop and narrowly avoids hitting the car in front.

I, on the other hand, try to do an emergency stop but there is literally nowhere to go as the prick swerved to the left at the same time. All happened so quickly, grabbed the front brake which I was covering but had no time to get any rear brake/get my weight backwards and it was downhill as well so the inevitable result was me going over the handlebars after a valiant artistic endo attempt. Managed to fend off the rear of the car with my hand/elbow as I went down and rolled a bit.

Get up and shout at the car and gesture to him to stop but he starts moving off as the traffic ahead starts moving again. Grab the passenger door and start banging on the window and he stares at me but still drives off regardless (and jumps a red light a bit further ahead as well...). Managed to memorise the numberplate which tallies up to the make and colour of the car on Gov.UK so pretty sure I got it right.

A few people stop including the lady behind me who fortunately was switched on enough not to run me over and a pedestrian who saw the driver drive off despite my attempts to get him to pull over.

Ring 999 but they aren't interested unless there are injuries, tell me to go to the police station. Get a voicemail on the way there saying that some other people have reported it though. Get to the police station but they tell me to go to the hospital first because I said my elbow and shoulder hurt a bit. Spent about an hour there but they weren't too concerned. Nothing broken and can move everything, just a bit of a lump on my elbow. Went back to the police station and filled in some forms and gave them my witness details.

Bike seems mostly ok surprisingly, left shifter a bit scratched and left dops bent (bent back easily enough), otherwise think it just flopped onto the non-derailleur side at slow-ish speed after bucking me off.

Not holding my breath for anything to happen as neither myself or the bike were seriously injured/damaged, but they have the registration and a few witnesses so maybe I will get lucky.

Nasty, hope they can catch up with the dangerous little twerp, hope you & the bike are better soon.

4 days cycling this week and now 3 days of trains and busses. At least it's not the car.

Just sat at Lufbra station thinking that by bike I'd have been there by now!

dhd.evans

Veteran
Got squeezed between traffic island and pavement this morning by a faux-by-faux; generally displeased, echoed the sentiments. Have video but.... what's the point?

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Got taken out by some prick in a VW Polo this morning who then fled without even stopping to see if I was alright.

Cycling along, minding my own business, matching my speed to traffic which was slowing down for a junction ahead. Polo prick decides to buzz me at speed, clearly hadn't noticed the slower moving traffic ahead, slams on the brakes, skids to a stop narrowly avoiding hitting the car in front.

I, on the other hand, try to do an emergency stop but there is literally nowhere to go as the prick swerved to the left at the same time. All happened so quickly, grabbed the front brake which I was covering but had no time to get any rear brake/get my weight backwards and it was downhill as well so the inevitable result was me going over the handlebars after a valiant artistic endo attempt. Managed to fend off the rear of the car with my hand/elbow as I went down and rolled a bit.

Get up and shout at the car and gesture to him to stop but he starts moving off as the traffic ahead starts moving again. Grab the passenger door and start banging on the window and he stares at me but still drives off regardless (and jumps a red light a bit further ahead as well...). Managed to memorise the numberplate which tallies up to the make/model and colour of the car on Gov.UK so pretty sure I got it right.

A few people stop including the lady behind me who fortunately was switched on enough not to run me over and a pedestrian who saw the driver drive off despite my attempts to get him to pull over.

Ring 999 but they aren't interested unless there are injuries, tell me to go to the police station. Get a voicemail on the way there saying that some other people have reported it though. Get to the police station but they tell me to go to the hospital first because I said my elbow and shoulder hurt a bit. Spent about an hour there but they weren't too concerned. Nothing broken and can move everything, just a bit of a lump on my elbow. Went back to the police station and filled in some forms and gave them my witness details.

Bike seems mostly ok surprisingly, left shifter a bit scratched and left dops bent (bent back easily enough), otherwise think it just flopped onto the non-derailleur side at slow-ish speed after bucking me off.

Not holding my breath for anything to happen as neither myself or the bike were seriously injured/damaged, but they have the registration and a few witnesses so maybe I will get lucky.

You should of flicked his wing mirror clean off when you had the chance. Not quite an eye for an eye but at least he would have to pay out to get it fixed.

I also have no hope of the police raising a finger against this guy but we can only hope he may have had further reports made to warrant an officer knocking on his door

You should of flicked his wing mirror clean off when you had the chance. Not quite an eye for an eye but at least he would have to pay out to get it fixed.

I also have no hope of the police raising a finger against this guy but we can only hope he may have had further reports made to warrant an officer knocking on his door
I didn't have a chance, he just stared and me for a moment, I could see the cogs in his brain deciding what to do next, and then he drove off.

The police were helpful enough but seemed to be box ticking and as I wasn't seriously injured nor my bike smashed to pieces then I think it's been put in the lower priority category. Refered to the traffic collision department or whatever it is called but haven't heard anything.

But yeah, as you say at least there are some reports against the vehicle with a few witness reports in case they are involved in another incident (I have the strangest feeling that this exact vehicle might have done a really dangerous left hook to me a bit further up the road a while back). I'm sure I will spot the vehicle again at some point in the future if it is local, I have the registration in my head.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Left work 25 minutes later than normal tonight. Decided to still do my normal route and with a combination of luck at all the junctions and cycle paths getting out of town, no wind since I can't remember when and a bit of effort from me I was only 5 minutes later home than I normally am ^_^

Will sleep well tonight

si_c

Guru
Riding in a strong secondary up to a set of lights when a cockwomble in a BMW decides to fly past me at twice my speed honking his horn only 3 inches from my handlebars. Rarely have I been so angry.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I was cycling yesterday to a training day. Part of the road is a long downhill with lots of junctions. Normally everyone just trundles along together as there is little point in overtaking.

Had a nasty punishment pass by a Volvo driver. Mentally cursed him to the ends of the earth.

Passed at a queue for a roundabout. Moved out into primary as the road narrows because of parked cars.

Next moment... an even closer punishment pass, to get into the few metres of space between me and the car in front that you want when pelting downhill.

At the traffic lights at the bottom of the hill cycled up to his drivers window and banged on it saying some unrepeatable comments on his driving.

Further along the road opens up and I braced myself for another punishment pass. But... lovely overtake with about 4 metres of space. Either he learned a lesson or thought I was unhinged and would go total psycho next time I caught him up.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
10 yards from my front door - a Braces bread lorry just pulls out from it's parked position outside our local shop, with no indication - narrowly missing a young girl in her Fiat 500 who was about to go past.

He then proceeded to drive straight at me on my side of the road, forcing me into the railings.

All this, while using his mobile phone - oblivious to the girl's beeping and my fist-shaking.

10 yards from my front door - a Braces bread lorry just pulls out from it's parked position outside our local shop, with no indication - narrowly missing a young girl in her Fiat 500 who was about to go past.

He then proceeded to drive straight at me on my side of the road, forcing me into the railings.

All this, while using his mobile phone - oblivious to the girl's beeping and my fist-shaking.

Make sure you report it if poss

Simontm

Veteran
First commute since Feb and a new route. Think I'm ditching the Battersea Park segment as those speed bumps are bound to do one on my wheels eventually. Blimey there's a lot of cyclists on the Embankment. Had to go onto roadside to overtake them. Good to see.
On the way back via Wimbledon missed my turn so a wee detour onto Ebury Road to get back to Chelsea Bridge. Tomorrow think I'll try CS7 to Clapham.
Oh yes, numpty count: 1 Me! Coming into Parliament Square noticed the bike light went green but didn't realise the main lights ahead were turning red until it was too late and I became an RLJ -idiot! :angry:

Tom B

Guru
About 12 months ago I complained to the local bus Co.about an extremely close pass seeking words of advice to the driver. To my amazement the company (medium sized independent) did an investigation reviewed cctv etc and replied agreeing with me and taking action.

Yesterday I wrote to the same company asking them to pass on my thanks and compliments to another of their drivers who executed an excellent patient pass at what it a rubbish left kink that often results in a squeeze.

I think contacting to highlight good is as important if not more important than complaints.

Top Bottom