Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I wish I was still in France, and not just because of the more considerate motorists. The minimum temperature prediction for the coming night where I live is 0 degrees. :cold: The ride to work tomorrow will be a chilly one.

dhd.evans

Veteran
here in Canada you can turn right at a red light after stopping. Most people slow down and give way if necessary but don't normally stop.

Not in the UK unfortunately - it's hella dangerous IMHO.

This morning's commute was quiet but yesterday eve brought a new kind of numpty out:

Ciar

Veteran
Nothing exciting to report, yet more headwind honestly crossing from NE to East is a pitta, saying that last night i had a tailwind briefly until i hit stratford and it was sidewind funtastic ;-)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 4904555, member: 1314"]Wet and windy and cold(ish). No bother. London weather for London peeps.[/QUOTE]

Indeed.. thoroughly foul for the cycle commute home. Wet and windy.. a right nightmare.
But jully fun in a weird London type way.

Went my old route as it was raining and the busway is no good in the rain

As it's all busy roads it makes me work harder but it was more enjoyable than the busway which is monotonous but safe

Made me realise how lazy I had become on the busway

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another one to suffer from a wet & windy commute.

Good news for the day - the Spa Elan only needed the front wheel trueing and the front brake fluid topping off after last Saturday's off (total £27.50) with everything else checking out OK, the bad news was having to drive into Ipswich at rush hour to collect it - I'd forgotten how bad it could be when you can't filter, use advance stop lines or simply get off and push to avoid the queues.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Managed a 16mi TT over my lunchbreak yesterday whilst the weather was scorchio - the trip home from work was rather miserable, dreich and wet. No knobheads to report. This morning however:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Managed a 16mi TT over my lunchbreak yesterday whilst the weather was scorchio - the trip home from work was rather miserable, dreich and wet. No knobheads to report. This morning however:

I get stuff like that all the time. Dreadful driving and I'm not sure about lack of awareness, perhaps more of simply not giving a f**k!

Tin Pot

Guru
So I've scouted out the bike stand areas, got myself a locker, found the shower and scouted out a few scenic routes in to work...but do I really want to start long bike commutes again, that is the question.

@Tin Pot, yes!

As for me, chasing a chap up a hill today led me to the end of my first 5 miles a minute quicker than normal. Kept pushing on and finished the 16.8miles (900ft climbing) in under 56 mins, a new record!

Got taken out by some prick in a VW Polo this morning who then fled without even stopping to see if I was alright.

Cycling along, minding my own business, matching my speed to traffic which was slowing down for a junction ahead. Polo prick decides to buzz me at speed, clearly hadn't noticed the slower moving traffic ahead, slams on the brakes, skids to a stop narrowly avoiding hitting the car in front.

I, on the other hand, try to do an emergency stop but there is literally nowhere to go as the prick swerved to the left at the same time. All happened so quickly, grabbed the front brake which I was covering but had no time to get any rear brake/get my weight backwards and it was downhill as well so the inevitable result was me going over the handlebars after a valiant artistic endo attempt. Managed to fend off the rear of the car with my hand/elbow as I went down and rolled a bit.

Get up and shout at the car and gesture to him to stop but he starts moving off as the traffic ahead starts moving again. Grab the passenger door and start banging on the window and he stares at me but still drives off regardless (and jumps a red light a bit further ahead as well...). Managed to memorise the numberplate which tallies up to the make/model and colour of the car on Gov.UK so pretty sure I got it right.

A few people stop including the lady behind me who fortunately was switched on enough not to run me over and a pedestrian who saw the driver drive off despite my attempts to get him to pull over.

Ring 999 but they aren't interested unless there are injuries, tell me to go to the police station. Get a voicemail on the way there saying that some other people have reported it though. Get to the police station but they tell me to go to the hospital first because I said my elbow and shoulder hurt a bit. Spent about an hour there but they weren't too concerned. Nothing broken and can move everything, just a bit of a lump on my elbow. Went back to the police station and filled in some forms and gave them my witness details.

Bike seems mostly ok surprisingly, left shifter a bit scratched and left dops bent (bent back easily enough), otherwise think it just flopped onto the non-derailleur side at slow-ish speed after bucking me off.

Not holding my breath for anything to happen as neither myself or the bike were seriously injured/damaged, but they have the registration and a few witnesses so maybe I will get lucky.

Last edited:

dhd.evans

Veteran
Got taken out by some prick in a VW Polo this morning who then fled without even stopping to see if I was alright.

Cycling along, minding my own business, matching my speed to traffic which was slowing down for a junction ahead. Polo prick decides to buzz me at speed, clearly hadn't noticed the slower moving traffic ahead, slams on the brakes and skids to a stop and narrowly avoids hitting the car in front.

I, on the other hand, try to do an emergency stop but there is literally nowhere to go as the prick swerved to the left at the same time. All happened so quickly, grabbed the front brake which I was covering but had no time to get any rear brake/get my weight backwards and it was downhill as well so the inevitable result was me going over the handlebars after a valiant artistic endo attempt. Managed to fend off the rear of the car with my hand/elbow as I went down and rolled a bit.

Get up and shout at the car and gesture to him to stop but he starts moving off as the traffic ahead starts moving again. Grab the passenger door and start banging on the window and he stares at me but still drives off regardless (and jumps a red light a bit further ahead as well...). Managed to memorise the numberplate which tallies up to the make and colour of the car on Gov.UK so pretty sure I got it right.

A few people stop including the lady behind me who fortunately was switched on enough not to run me over and a pedestrian who saw the driver drive off despite my attempts to get him to pull over.

Ring 999 but they aren't interested unless there are injuries, tell me to go to the police station. Get a voicemail on the way there saying that some other people have reported it though. Get to the police station but they tell me to go to the hospital first because I said my elbow and shoulder hurt a bit. Spent about an hour there but they weren't too concerned. Nothing broken and can move everything, just a bit of a lump on my elbow. Went back to the police station and filled in some forms and gave them my witness details.

Bike seems mostly ok surprisingly, think it just flopped onto the non-derailleur side at slow-ish speed after bucking me off.

Not holding my breath for anything to happen as neither myself or the bike were seriously injured/damaged, but they have the registration and a few witnesses so maybe I will get lucky.

That's shitty bud, make sure you follow usual protocols and GWS.

Top Bottom