Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
@DrLex

Probably not great to put a bunny into the office fridge unless already skinned & bagged up, really. If you find a wounded one again, breaking its neck is swift and can be done without implements. Sad to see.

si_c

Guru
Steady headwind on the way in this morning, but hit most of the lights on green so made good progress. First time commuting this way over summer, so interesting now the schools are off how busy it is around 9am, I'd have expected it to be quieter.

KneesUp

Guru
Day 2 of working in the school holidays (I'm lucky enough to have arranged to do one day on, one day off) and therefore day 2 of riding to work every time I work over the school holidays.

It is pouring down, I was late, and the do-it-all bike with mudguards on both wheels is in the middle of the bike shed, so I took the road bike, which only has a mudguard on the back wheel as I couldn't get the front one to fit. I decided it would be fine, because when as a kid I used to ride without any guards at all it was only the wet back and 'arris that bothered me. Since then I've not ridden a bike in the wet without guards all round ...

Anyway, I'm at work and changed, and basically dry apart from what I have to pass off as a hairstyle these days, but the shoes I wore to work have - at a guess - enough water in them to fill a mug. I'm not going to check. This means I am wearing some very old trainers I keep at work for when I need to paint stuff, but as long as I don't let customers see my feet it'll be fine. To be fair it's like sitting at my desk in slippers.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Nearly got broadsided at a roundabout by "white van man" who also tried undertake me as I exited.

Fair play - he did put his hand up afterwards

Nice bloke. Would probably have sent a wreath - had he killed me.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Today I taught demonstrated, in an extremely snobby way, that jumping lights saves nearly no time, by catching up with the chap by the next lights, and utterly ruining myself in the process...
It was just so unbearable to watch. He'd poke out massively in front of the little green bicycle box to find his moment. Right across traffic. Nip speedily up the narrow side of slowly starting traffic... Then once at speed, from the left of the road indicate right (up a one way road) and expect cars to stop for him).
It boils my blood, and probably describes me when I started cycling a commute. That can't be true... Can it? I must have had more sense than this guy... hmm.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
So, I was on my usual route round the E&C. I pulled off the cycle lane where it ends into the bus lane at the North End of the roundabout. As I'm doing so there's a "lady" cycling along, a fair way from the curb, on a Pendleton-type bike, looking confident enough, so I pulled out.

Obviously she wasn't as confident as I thought, as she let out a "whoooooah", despite me not crossing her path, swerving, or being any nearer than four or five feet away from her.

I said to her it was OK, I'd seen her and I wasn't anywhere near her, but she decided to have a go at me, saying "yes, but I didn't know you weren't about to cross". She then followed that up with "you know the main block to people cycling is fear?" So, at that point, I accepted to myself that I'd misread her confidence and ability, and apologized to her. Not good enough, seemingly, as she continued to bleat on, so as the lights changed I apologized again, sincerely, and wished her a nice day.

To which she turned around at me with her camera and shouted at me that I was a "tw@t". What a charming woman.

I imagine she's now showing everyone a picture of the killer MAMIL a**ehole from hell on his million pound bike who pulled across her path at 40mph, missing her by inches, causing her to swerve wildly into the (non existent) traffic before showering her with a stream of vile invective, and how she had the last word.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So, I was on my usual route round the E&C. I pulled off the cycle lane where it ends into the bus lane at the North End of the roundabout. As I'm doing so there's a "lady" cycling along, a fair way from the curb, on a Pendleton-type bike, looking confident enough, so I pulled out.

Obviously she wasn't as confident as I thought, as she let out a "whoooooah", despite me not crossing her path, swerving, or being any nearer than four or five feet away from her.

I said to her it was OK, I'd seen her and I wasn't anywhere near her, but she decided to have a go at me, saying "yes, but I didn't know you weren't about to cross". She then followed that up with "you know the main block to people cycling is fear?" So, at that point, I accepted to myself that I'd misread her confidence and ability, and apologized to her. Not good enough, seemingly, as she continued to bleat on, so as the lights changed I apologized again, sincerely, and wished her a nice day.

To which she turned around at me with her camera and shouted at me that I was a "tw@t". What a charming woman.

I imagine she's now showing everyone a picture of the killer MAMIL a**ehole from hell on his million pound bike who pulled across her path at 40mph, missing her by inches, causing her to swerve wildly into the (non existent) traffic before showering her with a stream of vile invective, and how she had the last word.

I have heard about this woman. She's been mentioned a few times on BR. Well it sounds like the woman they have talked about. There's a you tube video of her. She like to shout and use her camera phone. I'll try dig it out for you see if it's the same woman.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I have heard about this woman. She's been mentioned a few times on BR. Well it sounds like the woman they have talked about. There's a you tube video of her. She like to shout and use her camera phone. I'll try dig it out for you see if it's the same woman.
Seriously? Wow... I'd be interested in seeing that :-)

Top Bottom