Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Still fuming about a woman who close passed me this morning, and she blamed me for cycling in the middle of the road (i.e. not even a very strong secondary with a pinch point for pedestrians protruding from the left).

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
A very wet and largely uneventful ride - but the behaviour of motorist I saw, left me thinking "Why do they drive faster in the wet? Are they afraid of getting drenched if they don't get from A to B quickly?"

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Was close passed by a cabbie with a rectum full of 'must get in front syndrome' rather then give way. Lights changed at less than 50yrds so he came to a stop and i filtered past on the left and plonked myself right in front of him while waiting for lights to change again

keithmac

Guru
Nearly got wiped out by a Pullman bust this morning on a roundabout.

He had seen me approaching but still carried straight on over the roundabout regardless..

All okay though as he waved at me as I was braking to avoid being run over.

Deffinitely helmet cam time I think..

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
A little bit of drizzle ended up being a steady downpour, route home was absolutely soaked with surface water. I only had a jersey and gilet on but switched to a rain jacket when it didnt seem to be any chance of it letting up. I still got a bit of a soaking as i was in my shorts but my core was 'relatively dry'

Braking was the usual hair raising 'runaway train' of an experience though for the most part. drivers seemed to be well behaved so there was no serious 'brown pants' moments as i ploughed forward towards my doom.

Rain finally stopped as i was arriving at the top of my road... bloody typical british weather!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Absolute bugger of a day. I'm only working this weekend as the three rostered staff are on leave and I'll have a weekend in October off instead.

Weather forecast for light showers so I used the new Spa Elan to check the mudguard setup - fifteen minutes in and the heavens opened confirming that Spa fitted them nicely. Unfortunately it meant somebody made a run out from between parked cars on my right so he didn't get wet getting to his car - straight into my path. The only damage to the bike is a front wheel that needs trueing and a slight scuff to the right shifter and pedal, but I landed on my back smashing my phone which was in a jersey pocket and sustaining what I thought was just a bump to the back of my head.

However at work I found that I'd sufered a cut which was bleding quite nicely so applied paper towels on a regular basis, including during a cargo inspection. After 4 hours of this I made a quick trip to the local minor injuries clinic where the duty nurse commented that she could see my skull:eek: and wrote out referral papers for A & E in Ipswich and applied a large padded dressing.

Being the only person on duty, I had to go back to work for a couple more hours, then shut the office, went home and changed bikes before heading to A & E only to be the lucky recipient of a puncture on the way up:angry: Goodness knows what those passing thought of a bloke with a bloodied, thick headband style bandage changing a tube.

Half a dozen stitches and a bit of glueing later at A & E I was on the way home where the working day finished as it started - with more rain.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Absolute bugger of a day. I'm only working this weekend as the three rostered staff are on leave and I'll have a weekend in October off instead.

Weather forecast for light showers so I used the new Spa Elan to check the mudguard setup - fifteen minutes in and the heavens opened confirming that Spa fitted them nicely. Unfortunately it meant somebody made a run out from between parked cars on my right so he didn't get wet getting to his car - straight into my path. The only damage to the bike is a front wheel that needs trueing and a slight scuff to the right shifter and pedal, but I landed on my back smashing my phone which was in a jersey pocket and sustaining what I thought was just a bump to the back of my head.

However at work I found that I'd sufered a cut which was bleding quite nicely so applied paper towels on a regular basis, including during a cargo inspection. After 4 hours of this I made a quick trip to the local minor injuries clinic where the duty nurse commented that she could see my skull:eek: and wrote out referral papers for A & E in Ipswich and applied a large padded dressing.

Being the only person on duty, I had to go back to work for a couple more hours, then shut the office, went home and changed bikes before heading to A & E only to be the lucky recipient of a puncture on the way up:angry: Goodness knows what those passing thought of a bloke with a bloodied, thick headband style bandage changing a tube.

Half a dozen stitches and a bit of glueing later at A & E I was on the way home where the working day finished as it started - with more rain.

Stuff work. A hole in the head is a hospital trip. Hope you didn't drip all over the floor.

No potty on your bonce then? I'll stop there as the 'CC police' will turn up. Only asking as it sounds nasty.

A smashed phone won't be cheap.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Thanks both, last day of 7 consecutive 7am starts today so took it easy but no pain or reaction to yesterday - got very wet again on the way home though!

@fossyant - phone was only a Moto G4 so picked up a refrubished one from Argos on Ebay for £100 and I won't comment on the skid lid to keep this safe from the moderators. I didn't realise it was a hole in the head until the Minor Injuries Unit nurse commented as I thought it was just one of those cuts or grazes that refused to heal properly. Normally I wouldn't have worried about work, but not going in would have meant losing the weekend I'm taking off in October in exchange where I've got a hotel & tickets booked for a race meeting and I know which I prefer.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
A nice dry ten miles into work today. I have uploaded footage of this close pass on the police website, though, in case they feel able to send a letter or something..

Attachments

• VX17 YDD.jpg
    VX17 YDD.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 43

gaijintendo

Veteran
A nice dry ten miles into work today. I have uploaded footage of this close pass on the police website, though, in case they feel able to send a letter or something..
I get stressed that my car is going to get scratched by another car in the Lidl car park. Why do these people have no fear?

DrLex

merely the moocher
Ethical dilemma of the day- saw an injured rabbit hauling itself on to the verge this morning - back legs not working, so probably just clipped by a car. Should I have stopped to
Reposition it back on a road for dispatch
Check whether a multi tool or zip tie can be used as a humane killer
Call RSPCA to leave a message (7:15)
Put it in my musette to take to the vet (10 miles on)?
I callously pedalled on, and thought of earlier in the year when I'd found a similar-stricken cat outside my office and taken it to the nearby vet. (Cat was sadly put down, as no chip and too injured).

Top Bottom