Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had the police called on me today for filming on a cycle path. Oh, and I'm being sued for loss of trade. Hahaha.

On a regularly abused stretch of shared use path, I slowed to video 3 vehicles, one delivery van parked at an angle blocking almost the entirety of the footpath and cycle path. Then I'm being blocked by the drivers telling me the police are coming and I am not allowed to leave, I must delete videos for data protection (LMFAO - public space), then one is dancing around the van (on the phone to 101) shrieking "don't come near me, you're scaring me" (I'm deliberately staying 10-15 feet away) whilst the other is photographing me, insinuating he's sending it to mates to look out for me and offering me a fight in the back of his shop, basically

The irritating thing is that someone shrieking about being filmed, brings armed* police with blues and twos. 6 weeks or so I was basically doored on the cycle path by a delivery van to the same shop at the same spot, driver refused to give details - the police refused to attend, I had to limp with a bruised leg to the police station. Driver also gave false registration number / details to police after the event - NFA

*OK, lack of resources meant an armed unit had to attend but how ridiculous!

si_c

Guru
Came in an hour early today, was a bit warm on the run in as I was wearing arm warmers and a base layer, but better that than cold.

I think I prefer the earlier start, when leaving at 8, the sun is quite low in the sky still so visibility is a bit reduced, coming in earlier meant that I felt a lot more visible to drivers behind me.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
And talking of hi-viz
You can tell winter is coming. Some of today's SE London's finest cycling commuters are resplendent in head to toe custard winter clothing and more lights blazing away then you can shake a stick at.

It was a bright, mild morning for shorts and short sleeves.

BurningLegs

Veteran

This caught me out a little - I had to slow down considerably to stop myself from overheating today. It's like to be wet on the way home and I made the mistake of dressing for my return journey on the way in!

Simontm

Veteran
And talking of hi-viz
You can tell winter is coming. Some of today's SE London's finest cycling commuters are resplendent in head to toe custard winter clothing and more lights blazing away then you can shake a stick at.

I had a long sleeve on but shorts -big mistake, was boiling by Putney.

Simontm

Veteran
An eventful ride in as an RLJ dive bombed over the top of his handle bars at the Munster Rd junction- luckily for him it was a pedestrian red so no cars. He seemed OK and so did the bike when I asked him, he said the chain came off.
Wet ride back but uneventful. Had a late night last night so first trip in pitch black through Richmond Park this year, loved it!
Numpty count: 0

I dont often run in to other commute cyclists I know, its usually the odd one, this morning had 5 of us in a peleton over the last 8 miles chatting away, got a little un-manageable through traffic. Of course one had to get a puncture so the rest stood about taking pictures of the un-fortunate and generally taking the piss. Wierd thing I noticed 3 of us had speedplay pedals, must be we are just tarts really.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Was a quite damp on the ride home. Luckily i missed the rain. Kool stop Dura 2 pads worked a lot better than expected with all that groundwater. Fair number of cyclists out on the road, at one point i was even part of a small convoy of 6 or 7 cyclists. However most of them headed towards old street while i was left with two others heading towards Islington so the convoy was rather short lived.

Nothing much happened apart from a random guy who couldn't wait to get past me and put his foot down and pulled past me very quickly only to stop behind a queue at a set of lights 30 meters ahead. I dont understand why some folk feel the need to do this

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Gorgeous beautiful sunny clear 10 miler today with hot air balloons for added interest. One close pass from a flat-hat wearing old chap in an 06 plate car which really was way too close, he left me about 2 feet of road in total :angry: - I thought "ow that was close" and reviewing the footage confirms it.

Top Bottom