Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Blue perchance?

There is none more black... :okay:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Heard on the radio tonight that a Tropical hurricane is heading our way with high winds and high temperatures! It must already be here. Had to ride to work tonight into strong headwind gusts and the temperature was all wrong, was melting by the time I had done the 10 miles to work. Still an otherwise rain free commute so far for this week. Closest I have come to getting rained on was on arrival earlier in the week when the downpour started just as I got through the factory gates, sweet :becool:
Going for a full house, have done 3/4 and hoping for 100% 4/4 commutes if I can get away with it.

classic33

Leg End Member
Heard on the radio tonight that a Tropical hurricane is heading our way with high winds and high temperatures! It must already be here. Had to ride to work tonight into strong headwind gusts and the temperature was all wrong, was melting by the time I had done the 10 miles to work. Still an otherwise rain free commute so far for this week. Closest I have come to getting rained on was on arrival earlier in the week when the downpour started just as I got through the factory gates, sweet :becool:
Going for a full house, have done 3/4 and hoping for 100% 4/4 commutes if I can get away with it.
As given by
Well here's something you don't see every day. Just in time for the anniversary of the big 1987 storm there is a genuine hurricane headed in this direction:
View attachment 378408

Link to the US National Hurricane Centre: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

dbeattie

Über Member
Under the railway bridge at Cathcart station there was a dead pigeon in the middle of the road and a crow was eating it. A couple of miles further on a woman and her dog were waiting to cross the road and the dog had a drink from a puddle.

runner

Guru
So there I am outside Tesco in central Bristol this morning with my very expensive Genesis Equilibrium which is ensured “only” if I have a gold standard lock….which I don’t. I thought I would be “thief” safe with two “cheaper” locks attached to the bike stand. I usually try to keep a close watch on the bike but this morning did not (fool!) and as I was at the checkout I could see one of the Tesco assistants looking out the window….at my bike….and 3 youths who were viewing it very closely whilst on their mobiles!! I ran, they left and the security guard told me that they had spotted my bike and thought it was a good steal!! Whilst I was pleased that they were admiring my beautiful piece of stainless steel road hog….I was not best pleased that they were within minutes of grabbing it. As the security guard pointed out….”they would have had that bike in a few minutes. The silly thing is my bike is only insured if it has a gold standard lock and I will certainly not be parking my beloved commuting machine until I have the proper lock. Of course I do realize that a thief will if determined smash through any lock, but at least if it happens again I will be insured.

BurningLegs

Veteran
So there I am outside Tesco in central Bristol this morning with my very expensive Genesis Equilibrium which is ensured “only” if I have a gold standard lock….which I don’t. I thought I would be “thief” safe with two “cheaper” locks attached to the bike stand. I usually try to keep a close watch on the bike but this morning did not (fool!) and as I was at the checkout I could see one of the Tesco assistants looking out the window….at my bike….and 3 youths who were viewing it very closely whilst on their mobiles!! I ran, they left and the security guard told me that they had spotted my bike and thought it was a good steal!! Whilst I was pleased that they were admiring my beautiful piece of stainless steel road hog….I was not best pleased that they were within minutes of grabbing it. As the security guard pointed out….”they would have had that bike in a few minutes. The silly thing is my bike is only insured if it has a gold standard lock and I will certainly not be parking my beloved commuting machine until I have the proper lock. Of course I do realize that a thief will if determined smash through any lock, but at least if it happens again I will be insured.

Glad that you had such a lucky escape!

BurningLegs

Veteran
I had a relatively uneventful commute in this morning, until I was less than half a mile from my place of work and riding in secondary with no oncoming traffic.

A car passed me quite safely and with ease, but decided to beep their horn as they passed. I followed them into my work's car park - we both work at the same location. We don't know each other, but I challenged the driver who came out with some familiar points:
- There is a cycle lane, you should use it (it's a shared use path on an industrial estate which has HGVs and cement mixers turning frequently and doesn't feel safe)
- You were riding in the middle of the road (I was in secondary, but not in the gutter)
- You slowed me down because I had to pass you (but the driver didn't beep at any of the cars she had to queue behind at the roundabout!)

The driver is adamant that they were right to beep me and I shouldn't be there - it's the law apparently and I was riding my bike illegally.

Can anyone help me to find the wording in the highway code that says a cyclist can (or even should) take a lane if they feel it is safest, and that they don't have to use shared use paths? Also anything about all vehicles (including cycles) having equal right to use the roads. Maybe @mjr has this to hand?? I'd like to put it in an envelope and put it on the driver's windscreen before the end of our shift today.

As I was getting walking to the changing room I crossed paths with another cyclist who said he saw me challenging the driver in the car park and we both had a good old moan about drivers! :laugh:

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Foggy commute to work this morning the roads were quiet and no near misses! Surprised how warm it is even at 5am a t-shirt and thin fleece was more than enough this morning

Top Bottom