Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

If anyone can read this license plate fully i'd be grateful. Absolute idiot.

And this. Shoulder check, signal, move and... attempted overtake on the right on a blind summit.

Seems the Autumn weather brings out all the numpties...

No need to say F off to him. Like I just got back home and this stupid car honked at me (I was taking the middle of lane due to narrow road and so many parked cars to avoid door zone) and then he did close pass.

Sometimes I think drivers are just trying to provoke a reaction and that's why I never give one. I just mutter to myself stupid and continue cycling.
With first clip I can work out his first 4 letters are 5754 but I can't read the rest

Last edited:

dhd.evans

Veteran
No need to say F off to him. Like I just got back home and this stupid car honked at me (I was taking the middle of lane due to narrow road and so many parked cars to avoid door zone) and then he did close pass.

Sometimes I think drivers are just trying to provoke a reaction and that's why I never give one. I just mutter to myself stupid and continue cycling.
With first clip I can work out his first 4 letters are 5754 but I can't read the rest

True, i lost the rag and it wasn't big or clever. I get buzzed on this road more often than not and this twerp had been riding my back wheel for a good 100m or so prior to this close pass and honking of the horn.

jahlive905

Let me set the scene. I'm waiting at the lights to change from red at the top end of Deptford High Street. There's no other cyclists to the right or behind me. There's about six cars slowly coming to a halt behind me, another four on the opposite side of the road and about three pedestrians wandering by. A significant number of human eyes can see me.

Cue embarassment:

Now I don't know if it's because I'd just got out of bed or because I subconsciously wanted a story to tell on Tales from Today's Commute later but from a perfectly stable and standing position, I begin to wobble.

The lights are still red, there's no reason for this even to have happened. My right shoe is clipped in, my left is out, but I start to fall towards my right. At this point, I'm less concerned about hitting the deck, and mostly concerned about saving face. There's a line of cars behind me, there's nothing interesting going on in the road, and I'm betting all eyes are on me and my fall is probably going to be some entertaining viewing. I'm determined not to give anyone the satisfaction.

OK wobble back to the left, that's good. You've saved it. You're cool.

Oh no wait - you've wobbled back to the right again. You're gonna fall. Try and save face at all costs. Do a little bunny hop to try and get the bike to stablise you. Try and unclip. No joy. You've f***ed it even more. You're in the middle of the road now, and yeah, you're going down.

First the knee, then the bag. Then the bike.

You absolute plum. You laugh at yourself. Try and laugh it off.

Oh crap, the lights have gone green. Quick, get up. Stop laughing on the floor like an idiot.

Someone beeps. I'm up now, trying to pedal but oh, of course it has, the chain's fallen off.

You punt yourself to the kerb. You laugh at yourself again. But inside, you're crying.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Nearly got sandwiched on a roundabout, between a Range Rover riding my back wheel and the dirver's side door of an idiot who thought he could jump in front of me from a junction.

I think he heard what I shouted at him - everyone at the adjacent petrol station did :blush:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The difference in last nights commute and this morning was chalk and cheese.
Last night, swirly headwinds, cold and rain.
This morning. Very little wind, dry, sunny and mild.

But the traffic, oh gawd the traffic. This week it's been an absolute nightmare.

rivers

How far can I go?
Ended up at work until 7pm last night, so nearly pitch black by the time I set off home. The new light is pretty good on the unlit section of the B2B. It's eerily peaceful in the dark as well...

hoppym27

Dark morning commute now for me on the cycleway and towpath...Tuesday I saw a friendly smiling hedgehog on the towpath...today I saw a big stinking rat....it flicked the bird at me as I rode past...

bonker

Guru
Either everyone has the day off of they are superstitious, the CS7 was pretty deserted this morning. It's a shame as it was really warm and (heading into London) the wind was in the right direction. Only bummer was that the bracket for my back light snapped so I'll have to Sellotape the light on for the journey home.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Very wet today - so full waterproof kit and lights

Nearly got blindsided at a roundabout by a woman who was clearly in a world of her own, till her bumper nearly kissed my back wheel

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What a really nice, mild day here in London. Mid october and still in shorts and short sleeves. And it's getting warmer over the weekend and into early next week.
Once again though the traffic is a bit of a nightmare. It's not until I can stretch the legs on the A21 bus lanes that I can get up to any sort of speed for long stretches.

Strangeish interaction with another cyclist yesterday. I was at some lights when another road cyclist pulled up beside me, similar age to me 50+, carbon bike but wearing non cycling attire, he was wearing sidi carbon shoes which hinted at something. I was going for a Strava section further on and shortly after the lights I wound it up to a rate and went for a shortish 0.2 mile section. I was doing just under 30 and forgot about the guy at the lights.
I then entered a cycleway which has a couple of blind bends so slowed down to around 15mph, there was some overgrown nettles on the left side so I moved to the right lane of the cyclway as I was wearing shorts and did not want to get stung. I was then really suprised to find the bloke from before trying to overtake me in the 3 inch gap on my right. We banged shoulders but he manged to struggle through.Strangely neither of us uttered a utterance. I was really pissed off with the both of us, me for not checking someone was behind when I moved into the lane ( I had been going hell for leather I was not ecpecting him to keep up) but pissed off at hm for not seeing the nettles and expecting me to move and also for not shouting a warning.
I shadowed him and either he was a extremely strong rider or there was a dam motor in that bike. He was going uphill with seemingly hardly any effort. Anyway later we came to a junction with 3 riders coming the other way strewn over the cyleway plus a cople of peds on the cycleway. I left the cycleway and dodged around a ped area and missed the lot, he however refused to budge and had to come to a complete halt. I looked over my shoulder as I was expecting him to be chasing me down. No the guy had turned around and was cycling back the way he came.

Top Bottom