Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LiamW

Checked over my bike Tuesday night, found a broken link in my chain so I obviously fixed it. Cycling home last night and the chain breaks taking off from a set of lights. Obviously didn't fix it well enough. Grrr

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Checked over my bike Tuesday night, found a broken link in my chain so I obviously fixed it. Cycling home last night and the chain breaks taking off from a set of lights. Obviously didn't fix it well enough. Grrr

Ouch.. hope you didn't cause yourself any damage to yer you know whats?

LiamW

Strange one, it kinda happened in slow motion. Link broke at the bottom jockey wheel so the chain was still on the chainring and cassette. I pedaled on then nothing, coasted to a stop with no damage to the nether regions done...thankfully.

Sixmile

Veteran
Took a little detour from my commute this morning to deliver an Ebay item that someone purchased from me. It happened that they lived about 1.5 miles from my regular route so it didn't take much to find their house and plus saved me heading to the post office and paying. Just before I got to their house though, my chain came off and twisted, never had it twist before! I got it back on, did my delivery and headed on to work through pretty light traffic. Just got to love half term week!

I'd a short sleeve base layer, arm warmers, full sleeved thin cycle top finished with a short sleeved top and although a little cold until I warmed up, it was the perfect combination this morning. Oh, and I debuted a new pair of Troy Lee socks from CRC. There's something about a new pair of socks!

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
My first evening commute since a neck problem a few weeks ago, a holiday, and the clocks changing. Hell, it was dark on the North Downs Way!

Heard a few owls and the alarming occasional rustling of unseen animals moving nearby in the undergrowth. Made the heart beat a little faster.
Lovely fresh air though, and a sense of being alone in my own world. Very enjoyable for a few scarce minutes, before arriving back in residential civilisation.

A poor week of non-cycling for me in a commuting sense only 1/4. It's annoying as this is my favourite time of year for commuting, not too cold and some night riding but not too much. Just right.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
The temperature seems to have crept up again not as cool as last week's commute to work. Had a near miss with a small white van reversing off a drive onto a busy main road :stop: luckily nothing was in the other lane so I could swerve out! The guy held up his hand and apologised when he realised what had happened and off I went with my heart rate going ten to the dozen!

BurningLegs

Veteran
Well, commute day 4 this week and the legs do feel a little fatigued. I was grateful to be overtaken by someone going only slightly faster than me on a long stretch and I tagged along for a mile or two - got the average speed up and the effort down. Win/win!

Still finding it difficult to get the clothing right - I keep wearing too many layers and sweating on my way in. Today wasn't as bad as it has been, but could have done with one less layer despite the fact my feet were cold (again). I always seem to forget the second pair of socks!

dhd.evans

Veteran
Like @BurningLegs my Friday legs well and truly stung like buggery this morning. Time constraints meant i had to take the bike for SWMBO later (bike is quicker than bus getting home) so i am mainlining painkillers until the discomfort subsides.

Regrets? I have none.

I pulled out to the centre of the road to navigate split speed bumps. Car comes behind blasting his horn As I slowed with traffic he gave me an ear bashing

"Youre all over the road mate - you'd complain if somebody hits you wouldn't you"
A further exchange of words - but in the end I said "he was correct - I would complain if you hit me" !!!!

bonker

Guru
Some real idiots on the CS7 this morning running reds, even a pelican crossing with school kids and mums crossing.

Interesting none were 'lycra louts'. All were normal clothes, no helmet, mountain bike with rusty chain-types.

Top Bottom