Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Got up to a heavy frost and a dose of cantbearseditis so shorter ride in to work. This evening was blooming lovely weather (considering it is November) so a decent ride home.

So the only thing I can think of is that my collision a few months ago must have weakened it, maybe caused a hairline crack and the drop in temperature - or just the passage of time - caused it to give way. "Funny, my saddle feels loose, best nip it .... oh!"

P1050107.JPG

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

And there is plenty of seatpost down the seat tube, it's not that!

Slick

Guru
Friday legs on a Monday. Not looking good for this week. I found this mornings ride particularly hard but when I passed over the motorway bridge and seen the traffic backed up beneath me, it made it worthwhile!
I do the same and admit to a bit of self satisfaction at looking at the car park below.

dhd.evans

Veteran
This morning was damp and moderately warm (at least compared to yesterday...).

Last night's ride produced a twunt of a driver. Kia Sportage pulled up beside me in the outside lane approaching a roundabout. I, on my singlespeed, pulled out with some rapid acceleration (cos single gear) to turn right around the roundabout taking the third exit. Said Kia decided also to take the third exit by matching my speed, running up beside me and forcing me to brake and drop behind her.

She then went on her merry until such a point she stopped at some traffic lights at which point i caught up with her. I politely (but firmly) informed her that said driving was unacceptable and she could not and should not turn in the lane she was in; not only did she do something dumb but it almost produced a collision between us. Her response? Stare straight ahead, blank me, then gun the engine as soon as the lights turned green.

This morning i have produced a Facebook plea asking friends to pass on my dissatisfaction.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Day 2 of the new bike/commute combo

Getting a little bit faster on the Brompton now that Im starting to get used to it's nuances. They are very quick off the lights. I'm away far quicker then those on big boy bikes and can get up to a decent speed quite rapidly.

And day 2 was when I had to slam on the brakes due to a complete and utter plum of a driver in a van overtaking and then moving kerbside. Why? Who fekkin knows. I guess on the phone or suchlike. I shouted out and they swerved back roadside.

So, the brakes work quite well on a Brompton.

Sixmile

Veteran
There's a particular junction along a rat run where cars barely brake at the give way. I was approaching the junction this morning when a BMW X3 (it could've been any make to be fair..) stopped. I was riding on the main road in front at about 20mph but was coasting as I knew drivers rarely expect anything from the left so don't even look. True to form, he looks right and takes off almost into the side of me. I had slowed down enough to take evasive action and he gave me the 'oops, sorry' palm before he drove off.

On the plus side, on the way home last night I picked up a wee KOM in the pitch black thanks to a kind tail wind and a bit of effort on my part. Generally all my times are much slower during the Autumn/Winter commutes.

Yesterday was one of those days where you get all the close passes for the month. Is there some website where drivers get together and decide to get as close to cyclists for one day on one road?

Slick

Guru
Woke up this morning to a very wet and windy scene, despite my best efforts to find at least one dry forecast, before deciding that must be the right one to follo . It was the first commute on my newly winterised Genesis, which has been sitting in the garage for the past 8 weeks or so as I ran in the new steed. It's still a relatively new bike but it was like meeting an old friend as I threw my leg over as the level of comfort offered is far superior to that of the new Cannondale. It did give me a quick warning at the first junction, as my foot hit the newly installed front mudguard giving me a bit of a wobble. I enjoyed my very wet run, until I cruised into the car park at work banking in one direction before going down the other, obviously thinking I was as cool as. Next thing my foot made contact again and I nearly had a clipless moment, fortunately there was nobody around that actually knew me.:shy: Great run home, felt really easy, one of those runs where you hit every green light and the wind is never in your face. I really love that bike.:thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yucky mornings commute today. Started training last night and was still raining when I left home. Not mad rain more of a drizzle. With a cold northerly it did make for harder then usual going.

3 Bromptoneers on the station this morning ^_^

And talking of Bromptoneering, I'm still having trouble with the 6 speed gears. Either it's too high or too low, I can't seem to find a good middle ground.

Top Bottom