Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixmile

Veteran
I was off on Monday so I managed 4 commutes this week but good to know others are feeling it too! The first 15 minutes of my ride is mostly climbing, always tough going on a Friday! The traffic was incredibly light again but this will all change with the schools going back next week.

Layering wise, 3 light tops and a pair of Altura Night Vision leggings are doing the job, although any colder I'll have to have a rethink!

L Q

Über Member
Last commute for a week as I am away next week, 140 miles this week and my body is well and truly knackered this week.

rivers

How far can I go?
I got told off this morning for calling out a friendly "I'm passing on your right" instead of ringing my non-existant bell as I slowly overtook a woman and three children this morning. Before she made the bell comment, I thought to myself "how lovely it is to see an entire family out in the morning". That thought quickly subsided.

si_c

Guru

Yeah, back to the short sleeve jersey and arm warmers this morning. Still took them off about half way, good run in otherwise though, tried being a good citizen and pointing out to a driver than she had her iphone charger cable hanging out of the door and dragging along the road, but she just drove off after I knocked politely on her window.

Her loss.

Nothing really notable except I took delivery today of a Cateye Volt 400 so I was quite looking forward to the dark, its exactly what I wanted (but having a 300 I kind of knew that) it got a decent charge time, is quite compact and lights up the road well. My video doesn't do it justice but drivers were very well behaved (I especially like the one who appears at 6.54 and 8x speed didn't pull out till I was passed at 6:58 (circa 20seconds in real time) and my eyes were used to a relatively bright environment so I never got startled by headlights.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTL45_tB0p0

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yuk! Last nights ride home was quite unpleasant for just one reason. It seems half of the Manchester population were burning old tyres and fridges for bonfire night. The smoke was foul and I spent around 5-6 miles with a strong acrid taste in my mouth that just wouldn't clear. Not very nice at all and I wonder how the people attending these fires felt when getting prolonged, close quarters exposure to the toxic smoke?

John_S

Über Member
A chilly start to the day! Looking out at the frost before heading out I had a frantic search about to find the winter gear and fortunately managed to find stuff.

The bike computer went down to -2.5 when out in the sticks but warmed up to a toasty +0.5 when I got into town.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
First day of my new commute.
Bike/Train/Bike from West Malling to Greenwich.

Undertaken with the new Brompton.
It all went very smoothly. The train wasn't too busy which was good. The ride from Bromley to work was good too. Had a bit of SCR with a couple of roadies. I think one of them was a little bit surprised that I overtook him at speed. I'm also surprised out how quick Brompton's are. Fair nippy machines. Just need to get used to the gearing.

'twas just above 0° when I left home so first outing for the winter jacket.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
A lovely day to ride into work.

2 ludicrous passes round bends in the face of oncoming traffic which was forced to brake & swerve - two within a quarter of a mile.

I have reported them & uploaded footage, will have to see whether the Police think it was worthy of their intervention. I hope shouting "Bellend" at one of these morons won't count against me too much.

Police say :

"Thank you for the footage of the vehicle passing you in Frampton Cotterell

I have re-viewed the footage and found more than one vehicle that I would say falls short of a good driving standard.

In this instance I have sent them warning letters about their actions/driving and to make them aware that their driving has been caught on camera.

(no source divulged)"

If they do it again then here's hoping for more forceful action.

Sixmile

Veteran
Friday legs on a Monday. Not looking good for this week. I found this mornings ride particularly hard but when I passed over the motorway bridge and seen the traffic backed up beneath me, it made it worthwhile!

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Crikey, I am on a roll with this Police footage reporting thing.

As well as having 2 drivers dealt with as above last week, the lady who tailgated me way too close this morning has a letter going out to her today, with still images, requesting her to drive more carefully or else... feel like I'm keeping the Police in business !

On the commute this morning felt my toes were a bit cold and thought overshoes tomorrow. I then caught up with a middle aged lady on a Bianchi road bike. she was wearing thin leggings, thin wooly gloves but what really struck me was no socks!. We stopped at the lights together and she commented she was ruddy freezing. I suggested she start by wearing some nice wooly socks. She looked at me like I was stark raving bonkers and told me she was wearing triathlon shoes and they were not meant to be worn with socks. Well bloody freeze then I thought to myself.
On the way home I caught up with a very large bloke on a Harley Davidson in traffic. We changed places several times over the next mile and then he pulled up next to me at the lights . I was half expecting a ear bashing at me being a cheeky little beggar for continually overtaking him but no he wanted a chat about my lights and bike.

Top Bottom