Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Came off this morning, hit the car trap on the Busway, I went a different way to get onto the cycle path, forgot about the car trap,. as it was covered in snow, bam went right in and down...

Got up, carried on the rest of the 14 miles, didn't really see how bad unto there was daylight!!
Anyway bike was okay! but my new altura things were trashed :sad:

Cycled home but it was shockingly bad ice everywhere, so much so I didn't get until 7 pm, left at 5:10 so bus tomorrow as I cant risk another fall. It looks bad but I got away with considering I came down on concrete, could easily have broken it. So I will have to admit defeat for tomorrow:sad:

View attachment 386907
An
View attachment 386908

I've like it for your perseverance, not the injuries.

I've like it for your perseverance, not the injuries.

Lol
When your out there’s no turning back!
Plus exercise is the best medicine
Keeping it going is best
Rest is for wussies!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
-2°C at 6am today - had to boil a kettle to unfreeze the Asgard plus the catch and bolt on the back gate. Most impressed to find that the Cube which had been put away untouched after Sunday's snow, ice and slush fest was perfectly rideable as I'd expecteed the chain to be locked up with all the lube having been washed out of it.

Overnight rain followed by a light snow shower and the freezing temps resulted in patches of sheet ice on the ungritted roads, but at least the main roads in were perfectly usable. Any corner off the main road was treated with utmost caution and taken at around walking speed or lower. Still large frozen patches in shaded parts into the late aftrenoon.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Although no snow on the ground, we had some overnight rain. As I locked the back garage door, my bike cross bar, which had, to begin with, been leaning against my leg slid vertically down my thigh. At that moment I realised I had stepped onto a large sheet of black ice. So some of the rural parts of my commute were going to be challenging, which proved to be the case. Fortunately no incidents.
Five other cyclists seen. Numpty count four; serial RLJ'er with lights, RLJ'er with a barely visible back light and two riders with no lights, one of whom chose to ride in the cycle lane into the traffic.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A much better commute this morning weather wise. I little milder temperatures and the rain had stopped by the time I left home. However, the roads were mucky and very wet. The thing with riding a Brompton is that bike and clothes seem to get mucky far quicker then on a normal bike.

I also had a dozy car driver pull out of a side road without looking' Luckily the old Spidey senses were tingling and I managed to brake before hitting her. She got the good old coffee shaking hand for her trouble.

si_c

Guru
As noted above, filthy and damp roads today, and after the last couple of days of good driving, there was a significant deterioration in road craft from drivers.

dhd.evans

Veteran
What a miserable miserable commute this morning. Not only wet, windy and icy but my chain kept jumping off the rear cog and locking into the wheel with every pothole i hit.

What's worse is my normal 7mi commute in was 20mi today because of a meeting i had to attend...

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
All of the trees (bar one) have been removed from the cycle track.

Not sure why they left the one. They cleared the other ten either side of it, over the two mile stretch

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I raced a cloudburst home just now. Living here in the flatlands does has one advantage- you can always see weather coming towards you and can speed up accordingly. Sadly, not even a tailwind and effortless cruise at 20mph for the last 3 miles were enough- the weather won and I got soaked. Still fun though.

I also tried out a brand new section of cycle path for the first time. So new, they're still finishing it but they let me use it. Lovely smooth tarmac path I'd say about 8 ft wide, for about 1.5 miles between Stow-cum-Quy and Lode away from the awful B1102. Any locals may be interested to know it's useable now. It's not my most direct route home, but good now to have a pleasant alternative.

Top Bottom