Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I also tried out a brand new section of cycle path for the first time. So new, they're still finishing it but they let me use it. Lovely smooth tarmac path I'd say about 8 ft wide, for about 1.5 miles between Stow-cum-Quy and Lode away from the awful B1102. Any locals may be interested to know it's useable now. It's not my most direct route home, but good now to have a pleasant alternative.
Please, add it to openstreetmap if you can. I think I've understood where it is (on the Anglesey Abbey side?) but I don't know how it connects at the ends. I think it cuts off the loop through Bottisham when doing Cambridge-Wicken-Ely.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I've done in the last three days the same mileage as I normally do in one day. The snow has thankfully now gone, just the odd patches of frozen slush, it is still very icy though. This looks like it could be my lowest commuting week since I started keeping records.

Got rear ended on a roundabout when a car didn't give way when he entered the roundabout. So much for staying safe and avoiding the ice on the cycle path. Bike probably a write off but mainly road rash for me. Nice man in a christmas jumper stopped to organize police, ambulance. Not so nice man who crashed into me tried to tell me that he didn't have to stop at the give way line. He's probably getting done for careless/dangerous driving.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Got rear ended on a roundabout when a car didn't give way when he entered the roundabout. So much for staying safe and avoiding the ice on the cycle path. Bike probably a write off but mainly road rash for me. Nice man in a christmas jumper stopped to organize police, ambulance. Not so nice man who crashed into me tried to tell me that he didn't have to stop at the give way line. He's probably getting done for careless/dangerous driving.

Ouch! GWS
Hope the police do prosecute.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Please, add it to openstreetmap if you can. I think I've understood where it is (on the Anglesey Abbey side?) but I don't know how it connects at the ends. I think it cuts off the loop through Bottisham when doing Cambridge-Wicken-Ely.

Yes it cuts out the Bottisham loop now. The new path is on the south side of the B1102. One thing I liked about it is that for a lot of it, you are on the other side of the hedgerow to the road, so further away from the traffic. It spits you out almost opposite to the entrance to Anglesey Abbey so sadly you have to cross the road to rejoin the existing cycle path, but it's still way better than before. I'll try to take a few pics soon and post on the 'your ride today' thread.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Managed to avoid the rain tonight ^_^ not sure of the temperature but no where near freezing. Passed a guy with multiple shopping bags hanging on his handle bars looking rather unsteady! Asked if he was alright which he responded 'As long as I don't have to stop!'

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
See above..... I came on here to pretty much post the same, roads aren't shut by me now but just too slippy :sad: . Had more snow last night when I was out jogging.
I am actually feeling guilty ! :shy:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
The snow might have gone yesterday but we had a light dusting overnight, looks like it instantly froze.

Very very very icy this morning. I even came across one patch of ice that I didn't feel comfortable going over even with the ice tyres, one lad went down on that patch but luckily he was okay, will be glad when this week is over.

Top Bottom