Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Parked my bike next to as dodgy a spot as can be in the newly built hospital - they have designed a dark, sweet, cannabis-smelling cave, with chewed up cable locks leading into the darkness.

https://goo.gl/maps/5aq6ZgRHRKp

Just noticed on the maps that there are loads of racks further over... Oh well.

IMG_20180130_103637.jpg

UPDATE: No dragons today.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just can't get back into it this year. My bad knee is hurting but I'm starting to wonder if I just need to ride. Wish my commute was shorter

How long is your commute?

rivers

How far can I go?
Very little wind on the way in today which was nice, but very chilly. 0* when I left the house, frost everywhere. Cycle path was gritted in Bristol and South Gloucestershire. Not so much in Bath. A couple of slippery spots scattered about.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
This morning I discovered that there appears to be little alternative to my bulky Aldi ski gloves when it is below freezing. The Skytec Argon cold weather builder's gloves just didn't keep the chill off my poor fingers !

straas

Matt
Used the mountain bike today whilst the other bike is out of action.

Forgot it's quite fun bimbling along, no pressure to go fast on a mtb.

I spent 20 minutes yesterday cable tying some sks guards on to the frame as there's no mounting points as such - the tyres are continental mountain kings so aren't fully covered by the guards, so time will tell how good they are.

I don't know how people can commute daily without proper mudguards - it makes such a huge difference.

rivers

How far can I go?
This morning I discovered that there appears to be little alternative to my bulky Aldi ski gloves when it is below freezing. The Skytec Argon cold weather builder's gloves just didn't keep the chill off my poor fingers !

The Aldi winter cycling gloves are ace. I'm not sure how they compare in bulkiness to the ski gloves however. My biggest problem, however, is no matter how breathable a pair of gloves are, I sweat through them :-(. But the aldi ones aren't as bad as some others i have tried.

Sixmile

Veteran
Used the mountain bike today whilst the other bike is out of action.

Forgot it's quite fun bimbling along, no pressure to go fast on a mtb.

I spent 20 minutes yesterday cable tying some sks guards on to the frame as there's no mounting points as such - the tyres are continental mountain kings so aren't fully covered by the guards, so time will tell how good they are.

I don't know how people can commute daily without proper mudguards - it makes such a huge difference.

I commute November to February or so on my hybrid which is all but mountain bike about from the tyres. It's definitely a more comfortable and relaxed ride.

I only have crud guards on, so doesn't protect me from much. Just means bunging the gear on a fast wash when I get home most nights.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
The Aldi winter cycling gloves are ace. I'm not sure how they compare in bulkiness to the ski gloves however. My biggest problem, however, is no matter how breathable a pair of gloves are, I sweat through them :-(. But the aldi ones aren't as bad as some others i have tried.

I have a pair of these too, but they just don't do the job for me when it goes below freezing :cold: I must have poor circulation or something !

straas

Matt
I commute November to February or so on my hybrid which is all but mountain bike about from the tyres. It's definitely a more comfortable and relaxed ride.

I only have crud guards on, so doesn't protect me from much. Just means bunging the gear on a fast wash when I get home most nights.

I had some enduroguards, they're really well reviewed but they didn't work at all for me.

I think my next step is to put some narrower slick tyres on to get better grip and less resistance.

Then find a rack that will fit on somehow. Proper frankenbike.

Sixmile

Veteran
I think my next step is to put some narrower slick tyres on to get better grip and less resistance.

I can recommend Marathon Supremes. I've had them on the hybrid since July without one puncture and they roll well.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for a good set of proper mudguards though.

rivers

How far can I go?
I have a pair of these too, but they just don't do the job for me when it goes below freezing :cold: I must have poor circulation or something !

Perhaps. I bought a pair of the winter cycling gloves for my wife to wear in summer as she is pretty certain she suffers from reynauds. Whereas, I start overheating the second it gets above 20*.

I had some enduroguards, they're really well reviewed but they didn't work at all for me.

Then find a rack that will fit on somehow. Proper frankenbike.

If you've not got rack mounts, either look at bikepacking gear or get a skewer rack. The latter attaches through your brake blocks and the rear skewer, works for me!

Top Bottom