Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Funny what comes in your mind when you cycle to work. I thought today if I ever wrote an Autobiography, I would title it, 'Living with the Jetstream'!

Sixmile

Veteran
Dropped the kids off to school, drove the car to the mechanic and then cycled onto work. The road beside the mechanics was bogging, waterlogged in places and frozen solid in others. Fair play to my bike though, it has endured some amount of muck this winter and soldered on with very little attention given to it. At very least it's getting a wash and a relube tomorrow!

This mornings ride also pushed me past Jan 2017's monthly total but who's counting! :tongue:

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Belting home in the dark and the wet last night when a Golf overtook me on a bend into oncoming traffic. He had to brake hard & swerve to avoid a head-on !

Reported online. The rear-view camera picked up the registration.

180125.jpg

This morning I enjoyed an early start to ride to a 7am business breakfast then a nice ride to the office via Screwfix for some winter gloves to try out.

bonker

Guru
Unbelievably congested on the CS7 through Tooting last night. Solid lines of traffic, cars at 90 degrees and stopped trying to pull out of all the side roads and stationary bussed blocking the cycle lanes. Ended up with a group of about 20 cyclists picking their way through however they could.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Had an off this morning, going along in bus lane with slow / stationary cars in right hand lane (same direction) when a car going in the opposite direction cut across to turn right into a side road.

No chance to scrub enough speed off so hit the passenger door and ended up on the floor. She got out to shout at me that I should be "sharing the road" I asked her to pull over whilst I called the police, she ended up driving off. Thankfully I took her registration before she did.

Bent bars but can't see much other damage. Got checked out at a&e and just soft tissue damage to knee, elbow and a stiff neck thankfully.
Hope you're ok-she should take her own advice!:okay:.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Windy but warm this morning, no gloves or fleece needed not bad for January that!

si_c

Guru
Currently waiting for the train after my derailleur hanger snapped.

The cassette needed replacing after changing my chain, and I was going up a short hill when all hell broke loose. Broken hanger, and a slightly bent cage. Not sure if the hanger failed first or the chain skated over the top and caused the hanger to fail.

Either way I'm on the train.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Ha! So much for my comments about getting warmer. Back to gloves tonight as the wind was too cold without them. Pedestrians with hoods up should have been a clue!
Battled the wind for most of the way home and a three mile stretch of open countryside was particularly testing, causing much cursing and swearing.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Windy commute back but the rain held up which I was glad about. The police had a pharmacy sealed off on the outskirts of town not sure what had happened? While this was happening a car smashed into the back of another, more than likely too busy seeing what was going off at the pharmacy! Luckily nobody was hurt I stopped to see if all involved were ok, a driver behind them parked up with his hazards on and went over to see them. I carried on my way no other incidents after that luckily

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Much frost on the cars where I live, although apart from the occasional twinkling, the roads were good. As I approached the smoke the air was warmer and the buff could be lowered. No wind for the first ride for ages. :dance:
Hearing a few more birds now in the morning.

Just can't get back into it this year. My bad knee is hurting but I'm starting to wonder if I just need to ride. Wish my commute was shorter

Top Bottom