Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Tried a different footpath route yesterday and could not believe the amount of dog p@@ along it , will avoid that route for the future and stick to my normal one

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Wet, cold, headwind. fark that shoot.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Can't believe I rode in that. I need to get some peanut butter from the Stop'n'Shop and I don't even want to jog the few yards down the road to get it.

Maybe if I add some beer to the list I can get up some motivation.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Next door have been getting some fencing done, the alleyway is a quagmire- just about got in without losing a cycling shoe in it. The cat'll probably get trenchfoot.

I had the semi-regular driver trying to overtake me, onto the bridge, on Monday morning
I had already crossed where the white stop-line was, & following the central divider

Said chump, in yes!!, a B*W 3-series, tried to overtake on the bridge, I saw his wing in my peripheral vision, as he tried it
Sadly, he (presumably?) didn't want to stop after the bridge, for a genteel discussion

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.704021,-1.4615,259.52h,-10.23p,1z

I have actually had drivers in smaller cars attempt an overtake on the bridge, in the days before I'd actually take the centre-line

Prior to that point, on my journey to work (or out in that direction), this is another pinch-point
There's invariably cars parked to the left (on right, it's detached & semis, that have drives)
Generally someone will endeavour to try & overtake, as I'm passing parked vehicles, so they're entirely over the white-line, on essentially a blind corner, with no idea what's coming in the other direction
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.705214,-1.43575,282.14h,-5.33p,1z

Even riding on the white-line still dictates some over-takes
Sometimes a waved arm, in a "Get Back!!" gesture works, sometimes not

Jenkins

Legendary Member
As per almost everybody's comments - bloody strong and cold headwind picked up for large parts of the homewards commute after a relatively pleasant early morning ride in.

Today's idiot was the woman who drove OUT of the car park in Highfield Road desite the directional arrows and clear "IN ONLY" in large letters on the road and proceeded to drive the wrong way up the one way road.

John_S

Über Member
Sympathies with everybody above because yes I wholeheartedly agree that it was a thoroughly miserable commute home today!

At least I was psychologically prepared for it because I had looked at the forecast this morning so I knew that the rain & wind were on their way. However that didn't make going out in it anymore pleasant.

It was an absolute downpour with sting winds blowing cold rain right in my face.

And just to make matters worse for some reason my Alfine IGH decided that it would choose today to play up and constantly slip out of gear which when I was already soaking wet & fed up was just the icing on the cake.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for some better weather for the remainder of the week!

John

JhnBssll

Veteran
Yeah properly grim this evening. Today was the first time I've ever had to pedal down the big hill - the headwind was that strong I genuinely would have stopped otherwise :laugh: Quite unpleasant :laugh: Day off tomorrow though so might get out on one of the other bicycles for a change ^_^

rivers

How far can I go?
Got my first visit from the p*ncture fairy while on my way to work today. Not bad going for over 5000 miles (previous p*nctures had been pulling bike out of the shed and on the turbo of all places). Luckily, the sun was shining and there was a bit of pavement for me to work on.

vickster

Legendary Member
Lovely morning :sun:in SW London after all of yesterday’s rain. :rain:

Ended up Cycling the 9.8 miles to Putney rather than the 4.5 to Wimbledon tube

Very light traffic thanks to half term actually made it a pleasure :okay: even Putney Bridge wasn’t too busy

bonker

Guru
Lovely morning :sun:in SW London after all of yesterday’s rain. :rain:

Ended up Cycling the 9.8 miles to Putney rather than the 4.5 to Wimbledon tube

Very light traffic thanks to half term actually made it a pleasure :okay: even Putney Bridge wasn’t too busy
Indeed Vickster,
I don't think Tooting has ever been so pleasant as it was on this sunny, half term morning

Top Bottom