Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Siclo

Veteran
Other way round for me.. was blown to work.
Will make for a tough commute home.

You might get lucky, 180 degree turnaround forecast in Manchester, so that's me and probably @Leaway2 grovelling home as well

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
A bit wet and a headwind for half the ride in today. Too many mobile phone addicts causing a nuisance whilst driving. Last night's idiot failed to appreciate that a narrowing road left insufficient room for him to drive next to my back wheel, he came very close to clipping the wheel & I had to put my hand out to gesture for more room. All a bit trying really :sad:

Decided after a couple of positive weekends riding to test my knee and ride in regardless. Ride in was nice with a tailwind and then after missing the one direct train home for the hour, ride home with a tailwind. Not fast, not too fun at low speed but I did it.

13 rider

Guru
Decided after a couple of positive weekends riding to test my knee and ride in regardless. Ride in was nice with a tailwind and then after missing the one direct train home for the hour, ride home with a tailwind. Not fast, not too fun at low speed but I did it.
Well done hope the knees ok

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Just left work this afternoon and riding up Sea Road in Felixstowe - a decent tailwind but taking it carefully due to pedestrians and the 13 side roads from the left in under 0.75 mile, most with parking allowed almost up to the corner making them fairly blind for exiting traffic. The last thing I expected was some pillock to pull out of a parking space on the right and turn directly into one of the side roads without looking. At least the cheap disc brakes on my 13 flatbar pulled me up just in time, but with a large abount of squeal from them to alert the driver, his passenger and two kids on the back seat to my presence.

Well done hope the knees ok

Cheers, I took it very easy and it feels Ok now....hopefully it'll still feel like that tomorrow

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Another hard frost at home and the frost, albeit to a declining degree, continued pretty much up to the city centre. A breeze in my face for several miles of the coldest part of the journey added to chill.
As usual none of the roads in my council's area, showed any sign of having been treated. Local roads which had been subject to four seasons in a day during recent days and flooding in the past few weeks, were therefore treacherous, with both black and white ice. Had a brown trouser moment about 5 miles into the journey on black ice, which almost caught me out. On the same stretch of derestricted road on the way home on Monday, I passed a car which had buried itself in a hedge. Its location, would suggest the icy/frozen snow surface of the morning may have played a part. So who knows what tonight's journey will bring, as the road surface was in places as bad, but appeared more benign.
First ride in some new DHB bib tights. "Reliable cold weather companion offering both warmth and comfort".... Hmm. Whilst the pad and fit is more comfortable than my Aldi waist tights, (which are probably getting a bit tired now having seen me through 3 winters), in terms of warmth, the Aldi ones win hands down.

si_c

Guru
Awful ride in this morning. Solid 20+mph headwind the entire way in, with gusts around 35, felt like I was making my way through treacle. One section of relatively quick road I normally do around 23mph on I was struggling to do 12.

On the upside it's looking like a solid tailwind home, although it will have eased off a bit by this afternoon.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Seems we are a little bit lucky down here in the SE. Overnight rain had cleared, not too cold and very little wind to call of. Though the roads are fairly mucky. As soon as I got to work I get down with the rags to wipe down and clean the bike.
It made for a very nice, enjoyable commute in this morning. Chatting with a fellow regular cycle commuter on the way.

However... the weather for the commute home later today is not looking great.... we'll see.

Leaway2

Lycrist
On the whole it was dry, but where puddles had formed, they were frozen. I had to keep aye out for any standing water in the road that was frozen.
It didn’t feel all that cold though. There was very little traffic on the road. Probably still scraping their cars :smile:.

Top Bottom