Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ciar

Veteran
Fresh again but deceiving, yesterday feels like -3 it was cold and this morning feels like -1 and everything frosty :smile: is it's purely wind chill as the -3 was colder yet no frost!

Rubbish this morning, had one of those high pressure head winds, where you stop and there is no breeze, but as soon as you cycle its there like an invisible hand pushing you back. Just never got going, but still managed to overtake the skateboarder, but only just!

Not long before the road bike is out!

Two little irritating moments today.....

On the way to work down the railway Path, bloke cycling in front has his dog running alongside on a rope lead. I'm just thinking that it looked a bit unwise given the mix of dog and bikes.Everyone goes under a road bridge and then it's up a small incline when suddenly, dog squats for pee in middle of path and we all had to swerve around this guy....hmmmm.

Coming home tonight, I am turning right, waiting at the front of the T junction. Car on my left stops and bloke flashes me to say I can go out in front as he was turning right into the road I'm leaving. But first, we had both to wait for two cars coming in from right. As they went past, bloke in hatchback comes up behind first car and simply mounts narrow pavement to get around car. Since when has it become acceptable for some idiots like that to drive onto the pavement as if it's the road simply because they aren't patient enough to wait less than a minute?:cursing:.

Broken Britain mate
We need more police with zero tolerance

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
That was a bad commute. :sad: For the first time in months, I arrived home more stressed than when I left, thanks to numerous aggressive motorists. I used my AirZound 4 times.

Hop3y

Padiham Commuter
Woke up feeling good so did the 6 mile commute instead of the 3.6. Felt really bad, as coming up to a now disused pub (Inn on the Wharf) I spotted something in my way last minute, slammed on, discs were wet so made a screeching sounds. It was a homeless bloke just asleep flat out on the middle of the towpath, and I woke him up! He said he was fine (he looked fine, I'd have stopped if I was concerned), I went round him, looked behind me and he put his head back down and went to sleep!

Weirdest commute in a long while
https://www.strava.com/activities/1398679146

rivers

How far can I go?
I pulled the bike out of the shed this morning, brought it around the side of the house, and started to fix lights and computer, only to notice the rear wheel was completely flat :-/. As I was already running late, I had to take the motorbike in this morning. And now I'm cold

Maz

Guru
On a dual-carriageway this morning and a van carrying a pile of wooden fence panels overtakes me.
As he pulls in infront of me, the panel on the top of the pile catches the wind and flips up, flies in the air, just missing my head.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
On a dual-carriageway this morning and a van carrying a pile of wooden fence panels overtakes me.
As he pulls in infront of me, the panel on the top of the pile catches the wind and flips up, flies in the air, just missing my head.
:ohmy:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Grotty out this morning. Go caught in the rain for the first part of cycle commute to the station. Fortunately the rain abated for the second part from the station to work.

Witnessed a couple of right numpty motons this morning. One of the got peeved that the other had pulled in front of him. Cue lots of revving, skidding and gesticulations between the 2 drivers. They were so in their own pathetic little world that they were a danger to themselves and others, including me who had swerve out of the way when one got too close. Bloody planks.

C R

Guru
Did you report them? Carrying an unsecured load like that is a serious offence.

Maz

Guru
Did you report them? Carrying an unsecured load like that is a serious offence.
No I didn't. I saw them pull over then One guy got out of the van and walked back to pick up the panel from the road, the other guy looked like he was trying to secure the load. They said oh sorry about that. I rode on.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
I pulled the bike out of the shed this morning, brought it around the side of the house, and started to fix lights and computer, only to notice the rear wheel was completely flat :-/. As I was already running late, I had to take the motorbike in this morning. And now I'm cold
:hugs:annoying-that happened to me too after work last night (I did one of my quickest tube changes though).:pump:

Ride home yesterday was a right drag into a stiff headwind. Not gusty, just constant, annoying wind.

Of course by this morning it had managed to do a complete 180 and be a stiff headwind in the opposite direction...

Let's see what mood the wind is in by the time I cycle home.

straas

Matt
Dress down at work today - I'm still on the MTB, think I'll commute home in my 'normal' clothes for a change, the mudguards I bodged on seem to be doing a cracking job.

Wind kicked up today was fortunately a tail wind. Got to work a little faster I think, but due to the fact the Garmin froze up so I don't really know. -23C with a 30kph wind. My winter cycling gear is top class but my left nostril has a hint of frost bite. Not looking forward to the bike ride home.

Temperature with wind chill is reported at -40C, but I can never get my mind around how they come to that number.
Next Tuesday the forecast has us at a balmy -2C almost shorts weather!

Top Bottom