Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
-4 this morning, still decided as it is only ten minutes, and it didn't look like there was ice on the roads, I would cycle. By the time I got to work my fingers were about to fall off, I need better gloves.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I had a balmy 0° this morning, but there was snow on the ground. I was going to only cycle to the closest station at only a mile away because of it but the roads weren't that bad considering so carried on to my usual station further along the line.
At Bromley, no sign of snow and the roads were dry so a decent ride in. Bit of nice SCR with a chap who really didn't like being overtaken by a Brompton ^_^

Reactions: mjr

si_c

Guru
Nice run in this morning, a little damp and cold, and the road was a bit greasy. Minor incident (my fault) where I was filtering up the inside of a line of cars waiting to turn right at a junction (filter lane) when the lights changed. The car in front of me was passing the line on yellow, and I assumed that they would continue through the junction. They didn't, and stopped hard, leaving them stopped completely after the line. I had to slam on, but given that I was pretty close, and can't stop as quickly, I slid into the back of the car at about 2mph, slightly embarrassing as it's right outside my workplace but nevermind.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Lordy, that was cold. Brrrrrrrrrrrr!

-24C and no wind nor new snow. Made sure to layer up to keep warm. Pre-ride bicycle inspection rear tire pressure a little low. Pump up both tires and head out into the predawn darkness. I made it less then 4 kilometers and the rear tire is flat. Bicycle has no quick releases and I have no tools to remove bolt on wheel. Had to call the wife for a pickup. Got to watch a spectacular sun rise.

Leaway2

Lycrist
-24C and no wind nor new snow. Made sure to layer up to keep warm. Pre-ride bicycle inspection rear tire pressure a little low. Pump up both tires and head out into the predawn darkness. I made it less then 4 kilometers and the rear tire is flat. Bicycle has no quick releases and I have no tools to remove bolt on wheel. Had to call the wife for a pickup. Got to watch a spectacular sun rise.
I apologise for my "Lordy that was cold" remark at a piddling -4.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Two little irritating moments today.....

On the way to work down the railway Path, bloke cycling in front has his dog running alongside on a rope lead. I'm just thinking that it looked a bit unwise given the mix of dog and bikes.Everyone goes under a road bridge and then it's up a small incline when suddenly, dog squats for pee in middle of path and we all had to swerve around this guy....hmmmm.

Coming home tonight, I am turning right, waiting at the front of the T junction. Car on my left stops and bloke flashes me to say I can go out in front as he was turning right into the road I'm leaving. But first, we had both to wait for two cars coming in from right. As they went past, bloke in hatchback comes up behind first car and simply mounts narrow pavement to get around car. Since when has it become acceptable for some idiots like that to drive onto the pavement as if it's the road simply because they aren't patient enough to wait less than a minute?:cursing:.

Last edited:

Sixmile

Veteran
Dropped my wifes car up to the mechanic for a service. He lives up in the country a bit, surrounded by farms which mean the roads are stinking. Cycled on to work and when I got into the shower room and looked in the mirror, it was like I'd been downhill mountain biking such was the dirt on my bake. Not a bad ride in all the same, bar the dirt and getting stuck behind a few buses but as I passed over the motorway bridge all is made well when I see the 3 lanes into the city backed up for miles!

Top Bottom