Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Managed to avoid the soaking I thought I was going to get, particularly as it was still raining when I went for breakfast. After a couple of miles, realised it was probably warm enough for shorts.
Couple of cyclists in the dark without lights and one car, as well as the usual motorised RLJers; including a car ignoring a pelican crossing whilst someone was crossing.
Dawn chorus seems to be getting audibly louder by the day.

bonker

Guru
To all who commuted: you did the right thing.

It started hammering down as I was about to leave so I put my civvies back on, jumped on the Brompton and cycled to the train station instead.

It took me 2 and half hours on the train to get to work ( not including 15 mins on the Brompton at either end), I usually do it in 1 hour fifteen on the bike ( fixed not Brompton). £13.20 not well spent.

Roads are 99% snow and ice free. First road bike ride of the year, feels so fast.
I had to carry my bicycle the first 100 meters and cautiously "penguin walk" due to a thick ice build up. Road cleats and ice do not mix.
I don't have roadie winter booties so I used the summer road shoes this morning very cold toes at the end of a short ride. In the mornings it is still -17 but by the afternoon we are expecting a very sunny -4. Have some tin foil to wrap my feet just in case.

Global warming has not hit here yet.

Bazzer

Really fortunate tonight. Very warm on the way home, not helped by a headwind for a good chunk of the journey. A mile or so from home felt a couple of random rain drops on my hands but didn't think much about it. Ten minutes after arriving home, the heavens opened for about 40 minutes.

Bazzer

Not so fortunate this morning. Rain for 65 minutes and no rain for the final 5 minutes. And it looks like the radiators have been turned off, so could be a damp ride home later.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-jB9MytX0g

You may wish to skip to 1:55.

I experienced a disheartening deliberate close pass on this evening's commute, note all the cars that safely overtake prior on this narrow and busy road, yet the driver of this massive 4X4 finds the time to encroach and attempt to intimidate me for considerable time at the apex of the hill (bear in mind the knobber is off screen, gesturing at me through his windows for about 5 seconds before coming into view).

I'm sending this footage to WYP.

Last edited:

BSOh

Über Member

......I'm sending this footage to WYP.

Good. That looked scary, there's no justification for driving like that whatsoever. It's idiots like this that put me off road cycling.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-jB9MytX0g

You may wish to skip to 1:55.

I experienced a disheartening deliberate close pass on this evening's commute, note all the cars that safely overtake prior on this narrow and busy road, yet the driver of this massive 4X4 finds the time to encroach and attempt to intimidate me for considerable time at the apex of the hill (bear in mind the knobber is off screen for about 5 seconds before coming into view).

I'm sending this footage to WYP.

That was very bad. I hope the Police take action.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Getting a regular occurrence this raining to and from work business! It just doesn't seem to be easing up, the drains were overflowing on some of roads today really disrupting traffic.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I reported a pothole at this point a little while ago & it was fixed. With all the rain & snow we've had the repair is lovely but the surrounding tarmac has taken a hike !

Just reported it again..
GEBeast.jpg

I have spoken to the 101 call center for WYP, the gentleman on the phone was very helpful and assured me someone would be in touch in the next 48 hours to discuss further to arrange the transfer of evidence. He gave me the impression they take it quite seriously, let's just see how it pans out. This incident has prompted me to order and fit a rear camera, that would have made the intimidation attempt much more obvious, head mounting the cam isn't an option as I don't wear a pillow hat. Hopefully this footage along with a third party witness statement (from neighbor who happened to be driving behind the offender) will be sufficient for the police to take some action.

Last edited:

Bazzer

I have spoken to the 101 call center for WYP, the gentleman on the phone was very helpful and assured me someone would be in touch in the next 48 hours to discuss further to arrange the transfer of evidence. He gave me the impression they take it quite seriously, let's just see how it pans out. This incident has prompted me to order and fit a rear camera, that would have made the intimidation attempt much more obvious, head mounting the cam isn't an option as I don't wear a pillow hat. Hopefully this footage along with a third party witness statement (from neighbor who happened to be driving behind the offender) will be sufficient for the police to take some action.

Keep us posted. That was disgraceful.

Journey home tonight could have been better. Left work in drizzle which stopped after a mile or so and for the next 4 miles or so, it was very pleasant, even sunny in places. But I could see a sky full of black clouds approaching from my direction of travel and sure enough cycled into a cloudburst and the rain stayed with me for 40/45 minutes, until I was a couple of miles from home, by which time, I was very soggy, from the rain and huge puddles.
Some inbred seemed to find it amusing to shout abuse from a car as it passed me in the downpour, and a WVM deliberately pulled out in front of me from a side road, with the tw@t laughing at me as I struggled to slow down with rim brakes in the soaking conditions. Then some dick decides he is going to undercut me when I am turning right, just because he is also turning right.
I am definitely losing the mental squabble about buying a cam. :sad:

Well that was quick, I just spoke with a cheerful chap on the line who used to be traffic officer himself. He said if the video demonstrated my account sufficiently, they would likely send a notice of intended prosecution to the driver for dangerous or careless driving. Now I'll just have find time to pop down the station and give a statement and copy of the video.

Top Bottom