Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was cycling home along the Bath Road in West Reading last night and hit a huge pothole which was concealed by a puddle. I only skirted the edge of the puddle but the front wheel dropped at least 10cm and I almost went AOT over the handlebars but just managed to hold on.

I have reported it on fixmystreet.com. It seems it was reported 7 years ago. Shocking!

https://www.fixmystreet.com/report/92848
Are you sure it's the exact same pothole? If so, that's criminal.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Are you sure it's the exact same pothole? If so, that's criminal.

No, not completely sure. I noticed that I had only filed an update so I filed a new report. I would just like to make sure some other poor cyclist does not come a cropper.

https://www.fixmystreet.com/report/1279763

Last edited:
No, not completely sure. I noticed that I had only filed an update so I filed a new report. I would just like to make sure some other poor cyclist does not come a cropper.

https://www.fixmystreet.com/report/1279763
Was it a pothole that looked like it it had been repaired previously? If so it's probably just been patched multiple times in the past but broken up again because the hole hasn't been cut out and sealed properly. Even on roads which have been properly resurfaced I have noticed potholes start to form in the same place as they previously were on the old surface for whatever reason (utilities and drains underneath/proximity to junctions or bustops/poor drainage resulting in frequent standing water etc).

The roads are really bad at the moment and I haven't seen any attempts to fix the holes on my commute. I would advise staying well clear of puddles wherever possible for the reason you have just discovered.

si_c

Guru
Speedy ride home tonight. Couple of near misses, one guy in a white merc who decided that turning left, without indicating, from stationary traffic across the cycle lane was smart. The other a sodding peugeot driver who indicated right then turned to the left as I was passing.

Clearly these people have never heard of MSM.

C R

Guru
Another two commutes today. Part of the diversion from my usual route is a potholed, muddy track, my bike is filthier after two days of commuting through this track than after a month through my usual route.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Been a funny week so far with a load of cockwombles out and about driving various forms of tin box. I wouldn't mind,but most schools are still off round here so I guess they are still high on eating too many Easter Eggs and they will calm down next week :laugh: The wind is still a pain but it has been dry so its not too bad

si_c

Guru
Slight tailwind this morning, but really soggy - shoes currently drying on the radiator.

One muppet who decided to pass me with three inches to spare, ten yards from a light that had turned red. In fairness she was quite apologetic when I tapped on her window.

It is mid April and there is still patches of ice on the road. Next week we are expecting snow on 2 different days. When does spring arrive?

upload_2018-4-13_8-29-0.png

Top Bottom